Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on September 27, 2023, 02:38:48 PMI want to go back to work, I'm getting so bored at home that I even created a spreadsheet for how much household energy I have used over the last three and a bit years, with the first three years being on a fixed price contract. I then worked out the average cost per month in both types of fuel I use at the price I was paying per unit and then from that worked oout how many units per month that was. Once I had got that far I was able to work out the average monthly cost at the current price I should be spending. I worked it out at £90 per month for all my home energy as opposed to the £125 I was being asked to pay by the company.

Gondor

Been doing something similar since I retired as it was an extension of some of the things I was doing at work and kept the hand in as far as spreadsheets etc are concerned. It's led to some "interesting" conversations with utility companies.  ;) Not had any hassle from them for years now. I'm obviously on their "dont go there" list  :angel:

Hope it's not Long Covid mate. A friend's got it and he's not been the same since he came out of hospital a couple of years ago now. :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 28, 2023, 05:54:09 AMHope it's not Long Covid mate. A friend's got it and he's not been the same since he came out of hospital a couple of years ago now. :-\

It's not continuous breathlessness Chris, as long as I don't exert myself too much i'm feeling fine.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on September 28, 2023, 06:11:11 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 28, 2023, 05:54:09 AMHope it's not Long Covid mate. A friend's got it and he's not been the same since he came out of hospital a couple of years ago now. :-\

It's not continuous breathlessness Chris, as long as I don't exert myself too much i'm feeling fine.

Gondor

That's good
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Yeah, being able to breathe is good - as a lifelong asthmatic, I can attest to this... ;)

Hope it doesn't turn out to be covid, or if it is, that you can recover quickly and completely.

Pellson

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 01, 2023, 09:36:15 PMYeah, being able to breathe is good - as a lifelong asthmatic, I can attest to this... ;)

Hope it doesn't turn out to be covid, or if it is, that you can recover quickly and completely.

2nd'd

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Back to work tomorrow, sick line ran out on Sunday and I had previously had Monday as a holiday so I could go to the dentist.

Did a little modelling, very little in fact. Stuck a single peice of plastic card over the forward undercarriage doors for my reconnaissance TSR.2 as the kit's doors are designed to be open but in real life only the doors immediately next to the undercarriage legs were open which helped to keep any debris out of the undercarriage bays due to the rough field performance of the aircraft. So one over thick peice of plastic added, partly to cover the gap between the doors and partly to alow me to get the shape to conform to the curves of the fuselage rather than being flat as provided  :-\  13 Squadron I beleive is the recipient I have allocated this aircraft to.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on October 02, 2023, 11:21:54 AM13 Squadron I beleive is the recipient I have allocated this aircraft to.
Gondor
Looking forward to this! It should be right up my Cold War alley.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

!3 were a mysterious bunch too, that's right up their street!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Had the day off work so that the car could get a service, electrician's could check the wiring  and so I could collect a parcel of parts for a Scout into Wasp conversion I have planned. The service for the car was planned, the electrician's were added in as I had the time off and the parcel had an attempted delivery on Tuesday and would have gone through the letterbox if it didn't need to be signed for  :banghead:
So while waiting for one or the other to happen I had a little fettling at an Xtrakit Hunter T7 which is being converted into a T12 with the aid of a Freightdog conversion set. This was a build I started nearly two years ago when we lost Mike but as usual for me, I ran out of steam. I am fitting either part of an OAO engine intake or my own scratch built version based on it so to enable me to continue with parts of the build while the centre of the fuselage is being worked on, I have the Port fuselage in two halfs. Part of my stopping the build was getting the front fuselage halfs to match up when the cockpit was fitted. Without the cockpit the parts fitted fine with the nose wheel bay sides matching, add the cockpit and they didn't. So I finally worked out what the problem was. The "L" shape which helps hold the cockpit tub in place on the Port side was a bit too far forward. So after removeing the vertical element I found that it all fitted well. Result  :thumbsup:
That's something for me to remember for the other three of the kit I have in the stash. At least it's something that has got past one hurdle and a paice of information that I can pass on to all and sundry.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

Wait till you try fitting the wings. That's another challenge, as well as getting the tailpipe to close with the resin piece.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 19, 2023, 02:16:53 PMWait till you try fitting the wings. That's another challenge, as well as getting the tailpipe to close with the resin piece.

No worries Lee, I am dry fitting this thing to death

Gondor

The Wooksta!

The bit that impedes the wing fit is that weird block at the end of the wheel bay.  Take that off and it may take a Revell or a Freightdog 1083 wing.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 19, 2023, 11:55:47 PMThe bit that impedes the wing fit is that weird block at the end of the wheel bay.  Take that off and it may take a Revell or a Freightdog 1083 wing.

Already sussed that out and removed it certainly for this one, and I am fairly sure that one of my builds will have the 1083 wing if I remember what I have each allocated to be.

Gondor

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. I have a set of 1083 wings to go with a tandem two seat hunter which would look more streamlined than a T7 version.

Gondor

Had a nice quiet day at the Glasgow Modelfet yesterday. Not many traiders were there but then my wallet was fairly empty as the car needed an unexpected service this month after I had bought some model related items so there was not a huge lot to go around. As mentioned elsewhere I did pick up one of the two new boxings of the F-84F by Special Hobby, USAF boxing, the other boxing has Operation Musketeer markings with it. Book wise, I got my grubby mits on the Wingleader book on the Avro Manchester. These books are great photo albums on their subjects and this one will help when I get around to building the one I have in the stash.
Lots of chatting with various people about various things model related. Lots of information passed back and forth. OGL found the show very relaxing, so much so that I am supprised that he didn't snore. Admittedly he did say that because of his shift pattern he had not a huge amount of sleep in the previous couple of days.
The show also gave my Mojo a boost as I have been looking through some of my part builds with an eye to what could be easily finished or not.
As I was arriving home I saw my cat, I last saw him on Monday, so he came home too  :thumbsup:  We got upstairs and I found there was no power when I opened the fridge to get Spot a treat. Spot is the cat's name as it's difficult to spot him

Found out the RCD had tripped. So after resetting that and setting the clock on the cooker I then had to restart the PC. Thought the Smart meter was faulty but found out today that there is an on/off button on the back, been years since I had to look at the back of it! The RCD tripped again this morning a bit after 10am so there is something going on, or rather off and the Electricians were here on Thursday as well...... seems suspicious
Back to part builds I have. I have a near to finished Chieftain Mk.10 tank in 1/35 scale that needs an NBC pack as the later versions were different from the one supplied in the Tamyia kit I have converted, does anyone have one spare?

Gondor

Gondor

So as a result of the Glasgow Modelfest and the models there I have restarted one of my TSR.2 builds, the wings had been stuck together and several parts had been removed from their spures but that was it. The CMK cockpit is going inside and a lot of progress has been made towards that this evening. It will also be getting the CMK exhausts as well seeing that I have them and they are in the box. The kit that made me decide to dig this one out was built by Campbell and was depicting one of the "Black Doe" missions in 1982. This has also got me thinking about another part started build I have which just had the basic idea of the aircraft carrying different weapons to normal and that was as far as I had got other than gluesing a few parts together. Now I have come up with an operational name, a further item or two for the aircraft to carry and a colour scheme, so much further than it had been a few years ago, all thanks to Campbell.

On the home front everything was fine untill I got home from work untill I tried to turn on the kitchen light. I don't know if it was that or what but the RCD tripped. So tomorrow I am phone the houseing association I rent from and reporting a fault. Is it coincidence that on Thursday electricians checked the wireing?

Gondor