Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Wow, that big set of AAR would be nice to see...you'd need a huge display area for those !

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: Thorvic on July 15, 2015, 03:38:46 AM
Quote from: Gondor on July 15, 2015, 02:56:47 AM
Quote from: McColm on July 14, 2015, 06:51:51 PM
I never knew Plava did a Tu-4 conversion set, I always thought it was the Meteor Productions /Cutting Edge kit or DMold-modelworks.com . Very rare as Meteor Products have ceased trading.

Funny thing is McColm, it was from something you said last year that put me onto the conversion sets, one for the engines and the other for the armament.

Gondor

You mean Olimp ?

Yes, Olimp. Sorry brain is not working 100% with this ear distracting me  :banghead:

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 15, 2015, 05:08:12 AM
Wow, that big set of AAR would be nice to see...you'd need a huge display area for those !

:drink:

I will indeed, when I build them. It's a theme that I have bought kits for, the KB-50J actually being part of my Vietnam theme as well

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Very little modelling done recently. I have done a little work to my Hawker Siddeley Typhoon T2 rather than to the Hawker Siddeley P.1121 which should be at the top of my build list. I am stalling as I am still worried about sanding way too much off the parts and as I am using a hand held sanding stick for most of the work I could easily be rather uneven when sanding back the excess plastic. Starting to think of separate some of the control surfaces, flaps and rudder was what I have though about but rather unsure about my ability to do the work.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the two Supermarine Swifts that I have on pre-order from Airfix, one will be real world almost straight out of the box as I might do a serial number change, the second will be an F7 when I can afford to get hold of a Freightdog conversion set and Colin has some in stock. I am thinking of a third Swift or even a fourth, following on from Thorvic's build of a Royal Navy Swift I was thinking of a FRADU version and I have literally just thought of making another aircraft as a Drone in the Red and Yellow scheme used on the Meteors and Sea Vixens.

Good news on the job front. No I don't have a job but with one I applied for the company has short-listed me for an interview which means they like the look of my C.V. but I don't have a date for the interview yet but I should know early next week. It's a job I would be interested in getting even though it's not something I have done before so it will be a challenge as well as a change.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

The Wooksta!

With vacforms, I tend to prime the parts whilst still attached to the plastic, then cut them out, with a 45 degree cut.  One the white plastic is sanded away, it's done.

Job's a job these days.  Easier to find one if you're in one and at least it keeps the fascists at the DSS off your case.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 18, 2015, 04:52:25 PM
With vacforms, I tend to prime the parts whilst still attached to the plastic, then cut them out, with a 45 degree cut.  One the white plastic is sanded away, it's done.

Job's a job these days.  Easier to find one if you're in one and at least it keeps the fascists at the DSS off your case.

Glad to know that I am not the only one to come up with the paint solution for vac-forms, doesn't help if the parts are not as good as we would like though.

Lee, Stirling is a reasonably smaller city so has far fewer people to deal with than some other places. So far apart from some idiot problems with the system not being as good as it could be, there has not been any problems.

Gondor

Gondor

I'm probably going to end up making a rod for my own back. Having very silly ideas about cutting up an Airfix F-105F to make some thing rather different to the base kit. It will involve lots of scratch building and filler so I have no idea at the moment as to weather I will start this or not.

Gondor

Edit: Been looking at various things which would help convert the F-105F to a two seat P.1121 and realised that the tandem Hunter trainer cockpit might work for the cockpit area. However as I don't have one I can't tell if it would or not. Can anyone help out with this?

Gondor

Yesterday evening I though I would have a little look at my P.1121 just to see how things match up in one or two places. Next thing I know its almost 11:30pm and I have just spent an hour sanding the trailing edges of a wing and adjusting the opening for the wheel wells. I had also done some work on the cockpit resin part, it still doesn't fit as I write this but then I have done nothing since last night when I decided that sleep might be a good idea. I like/hate it when I get my modelling mojo after 10pm at night  :banghead:

Gondor

The Wooksta!

The original vacform bits never fitted either.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 23, 2015, 12:44:23 PM
The original vacform bits never fitted either.

The good old, it fits where it touches method of working. I didn't really expect anything else Lee so I have not been disappointed.

Gondor

Captain Canada

LOL  I love it when the mood hits and you don't even know it ! I'm looking forward to another one of those nights..... :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Just had a really silly idea.

A VW camper van painted as a Varicose Vain  :blink:

Gondor

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 26, 2015, 07:16:57 AM
What are you on ?  ;D

I did say it was silly and it was late at night  ;D

Gondor

Gondor

I am having thoughts of building an F-4L, should be simple enough depending on the date it's supposed to be modelled from which means it either will or will not have the ECM fitted to the air intakes, under the wings and to the fin top. Only thing that will give me some concern is modelling the under wing aerials. It will though depend as I said on the date and that would come from the decals I need, these would probably do nicely http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72160

Also thinking about an Indian Navy Gannet, AEW 3 of course.

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 26, 2015, 07:16:57 AM
What are you on ?  ;D
The other answer was £7.50 an hour  ;D

Gondor

Captain Canada

Love the F-4 and the AEW Gannet so I say 'go!' on both !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?