Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on December 28, 2021, 01:52:03 AM
Model making dictionary

Bobbitt: verb, to lose a small but vital part and be later reunited with it

Sorry but that work I associate with something else, which brings tears to my eyes and my hands to my crotch defensively.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Just had an interesting and frustrating time trying to get a new mouse to work with my PC.

The old mouse kept on freezing up and I would have to bang it on the desk to get the cursor to move again. It;s a Logitech trackball mouse and I think that one or more of the little parts that the ball moves were getting dirty as I have been modelling at the pc rather than at the bench.

So I bought a new mouse, same brand and it looked the same. Big mistake for thinking that. Apparently Logitech decided to take their Unifying dongle idea, which allows up to six compatible devices to use the same dongle, and to provide different types of connection such as bluetooth, but through their dongle. Well there I was trying to get the new mouse to connect only to realise that a second button on the under side next to the power button was for Unifying or Bluetooth selection and I was using the wrong option  :banghead:

All sorted now and so nice and responsive too  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Rheged

Model making dictionary

I can hear certain  comedians saying......."Small??..... well speak for yourself, mate"

On second thoughts, my apologies, that might have been a comment to put me on the naughty step
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on December 30, 2021, 08:05:05 AM
Model making dictionary

I can hear certain  comedians saying......."Small??..... well speak for yourself, mate"

On second thoughts, my apologies, that might have been a comment to put me on the naughty step

Seeing Rheged's comment made me realise that Lost Cosmonaut and I were talking about the same incident, I just didn't realise that at the time I made my comment.

Gondor

Gondor

They say "New Year, New Start", well not quite that but as the cat has decided not to come home this morning I have been able to do some things where he would probably get in the way such as my working in the loft! So as a sort of new year resolution and as part of the ongoing de cluttering of the modelling room, I ventured into the loft to finish flooring a large part of it so I can store packing boxes, bought from a well known store, which are numbered and an excel list kept with the contents so I can find something if I want it.
The first board, all of the boards were already in the loft, required an inch cut off one of the ends to fit into place.
Inches, remember them? You get twelve of them to the foot. Same as they say you get with toes in some places like the Ozarks and around Chernobyl.
So that was my having to bring that board down from the loft all by myself, bet the saw and cutting table out. Find a pencil and then cut to size which I did in one go  :thumbsup: nice straight cut too.
Back up and fitted I then realised that I would see better with a head torch that I bought about 14 years ago for an course at collage, NQ in Electrical instillation. So fresh batteries in the head torch and back up into the dark....
This time I took my ratchet screwdriver to save me changing the bit in my electric drill. I usually fitted two screws per board so that they don't move as they are there to support boxes and not as load bearing. All done shortly afterwards and the existing boxes in the loft reorganised so there is now plenty of space for more  :party:
Now a mug of tea and relax a while befor trying to decide what to pack for the loft.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Way to go Alastair!  :thumbsup:

All modellers need a Loft.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 01, 2022, 12:03:21 PM
Way to go Alastair!  :thumbsup:

All modellers need a Loft.  ;D

It was not easy to maneuver around up there, I have some problems with my knees, once I have been kneeling down, getting back up is the difficulty and as time goes by my confidence and ability to move in confined and award spaces, i.e. in a loft or climbing a ladder are becoming more difficult as I approach my sixty first birthday. Saying that, other than the knees and my eyes I'm not doing too bad for my age.

Gondor

Gondor

Four boxes packed and forty nine kit boxes fitted inside them. I still have another two boxes that I can pack kits into, it's now a question of what?

So far kits packed away have been less likely to build and unstarted.... mostly. This has helped reduce the size of the piles of kits on shelves which were a potential health hazard and also likely to cause an avalanche of more kits if I could not bring them low from on high.

I have roughly identified several groups of models that can be packed away, some of them belong to projects that I have planed for the future such as the Boeing C-5A. That's for tomorrow though.

Gondor

P.S. The list total is now up to 899 as I have gotten lax in adding kits I have bought this year so updating the list as I pack boxes is correcting that.

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on January 02, 2022, 02:09:38 PM
The list total is now up to 899 as I have gotten lax in adding kits I have bought this year so updating the list as I pack boxes is correcting that.

More or less unbuilt, I presume?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on January 03, 2022, 06:54:30 AM
Quote from: Gondor on January 02, 2022, 02:09:38 PM
The list total is now up to 899 as I have gotten lax in adding kits I have bought this year so updating the list as I pack boxes is correcting that.

More or less unbuilt, I presume?

All unbuilt, some with parts added to the boxes such as weapons and the like or extra parts removed..

Gondor

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on January 03, 2022, 08:49:50 AM

All unbuilt, some with parts added to the boxes such as weapons and the like or extra parts removed..

Gondor

Thought so.
I'm at 594, with a further 68 somewhere in the construction and/or refurbishment process. A certain amount of the latter might actually be scrapped for parts, but for now, they're on the Shelf of DoomTM

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

With the reorganisation of the kits I have in the modelling room I am trying to organise the two bookcases, one either side of the modelling table, picture on page 98, so that they contain started kits that I intend to work on this decade along with accessories and extras. Part started or rather just started kits along with parts that could have possible use elsewhere I am hoping to store on other shelves cleared by items moving into the loft.
It's a lot like those puzzles of tiles with one piece missing and every other tile has to be put into order and usually involves an awful lot of shuffling around to achieve the end result.

Gondor

Gondor

Well that's a total of Twenty Four boxes with models in them, I am sure I could get more in them if the kits were all in bags and not in boxes but then I have to think of those who come after and have to sort it all out.

Not the best picture ever but the normal torch I use died on me shortly before I took the picture with the aid of my head torch. The other torch is on charge, I had been wondering when it was going to run out  :rolleyes:

A reasonable amount of space left and I can easily add one more box to each pile which would be another eight bringing the total to Thirty Two! The down side to that is that the vast majority of my kits would be in the loft and my knees doing like going up and down the ladders much. The kits for the Boeing C-5 didn't go up into the loft, they wouldn't fit inside the packing boxes  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Gondor

Another six boxes ordered so that more kits can go into storage. I am thinking that some of the kits that are too big for these boxes might fit into the boxes in my storage room and consequently the items from those will go into the loft.
Decided to try and reproduce the bumps from a Freightdog Hunter T.12 conversion set onto a Freightdog Tandem Hunter trainer to produce an alternative T.12 as a lead in for the TSR.2, this could well be something I build as a tribute build for Mike but we will see.

Gondor

Gondor

As you may have read, I have been cleaning my model bench, i'm sure that I am seeing some parts of the newspaper that covers the desk that I have not for a number of years  :rolleyes:

Anyway, some items have been reunited with the rest of their projects and lots of little offcuts are getting binned. Part of the whole process has been reorginising which kits are where within the model room and in some cases changeing what is for what.

One of these changes involved me repurposing an old Matchbox Hunter T.7, an Xtrakit T/7 is taking it's place. Now this particular model was to become a real world aircraft belonging to The Institute of Aviation Medicine and the decals I was going to use are part of Modeldecal set 79, the one with the Raspberry Ripple Dakota on it. However after searching high and low, through the decal bank and several kit boxes I can not find any Hunter decals from that decal set at all so although this is really a looking for post it's just those decals and not the full sheet which not available from Hannants or on eBay at the moment  :banghead:

Gondor