Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

And back again.

Having gotten to the stuff I found once, I can give you the following:

Mosquito FB.VI, EG:G, HJ762

Now 487 were a Medium Bomber squadron, hence Twin-engined, but a bit of pondering brought about these thoughts/scenarios:

1. They were converting to Heavy late in the war and had one aircraft delivered, before the close of hostilities.
2. They were still a Medium squadron, but had one or two Heavies on the roll for an added 'Punch' when something more was required.
3. There was a Heavy landed there by mistake/after sustaining damage/so the pilot could visit a family member who was on the station, and in time-honoured fashion it was 'zapped' with 487's codes.
4. They acquired it after 3. above, and like the T2 Recovery Vehicle in Italy, it was repainted and there were subsequent strenuous denials that it had ever happened "Oh, that? We've had it forever."
5. They were always a Heavy Squadron in your Time Line.

HTH, FWIW  ;)

Gondor

Thanks Rick, I was in no rush to find the information though. You know how it goes with some projects, the occasional build can takes years rather than months, in fact I have one that has taken decades!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rick Lowe

Gondor

A bit of an up and down day modelling wise. Thought I had made a mess of an Xtrakit Hunter T.7 I am building only to realise that while the work I was doing was not as good as I had intended it to be, it would not matter in the end so I don't have to promote another Hunter T.7 based project to the top of the build list.
Also started work on an Airfix Tempest Mk.V which I am using a Freightdog F.6 conversion on. Yes I know and actually have some of the KP Tempest F.6's but as I had one of Colin's conversion sets I thought it would be interesting to see how well it fits and pass information back to Colin on any modifications I need to make to get it to fit. Should be reasonably quick as I don't need to do any camouflage on the outside to find out what I want to know so deciding what to paint it as can be on the back burner. Just had a thought to do it in SEAC colours.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Just had a thought with regards to the Freightdog Tandem two seat conversion. If I was to model the canopy open, how would it open?

Slide rearwards?

Hinge on one side and if so which? I personally think if this is the option then it would be the Starboard/Right side.

Hinged at the rear with the front lifting upwards?

Wondering as I am thinking of doing this to add variation as I have several of these conversion sets.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

I had that discussion when I built my T12 from a similar set of parts, and I think the general consensus was to have it hinged open from the front, like an F-94 Starfire.

But Hawker's solution for the Hawk and Harrier trainers was to hinge it to the right, so I reckon either would work, and look right too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2022, 05:32:12 AM
I had that discussion when I built my T12 from a similar set of parts, and I think the general consensus was to have it hinged open from the front, like an F-94 Starfire.

But Hawker's solution for the Hawk and Harrier trainers was to hinge it to the right, so I reckon either would work, and look right too.

That sounds as if I should really go with that and stair precedent even though both of those were after the Hunter.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

The T-33 flew before the Hunter and that had the same canopy as the F-94.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2022, 07:28:18 AM
The T-33 flew before the Hunter and that had the same canopy as the F-94.

Ah, sorry but I misread your earlier post which sounded as if the canopy hinged at the front not the rear. If I did it that way I would get to play with various diameters of Albion Alloy tubes to create a hydraulic ram to go between the canopies.

Gondor

Gondor

Off work yesterday and today with my doddgy tummy again so I decided to start another couple of projects. Two Hawk T2's, well one a T2, not decided on the designation for the Israeli one yet. This is the first time I have used the Revell Hawk kit, not bad. The construction of the cockpit I think is better than Airfix, I am guessing that there is an alternative sprue than the one I have for the Red Arrows smoke generator which includes the gun pack and pylons.
Been doing some tidying up too. Managed to find the internal paperwork for a set of Xtradecal X72178 so I know which decals to pinch for a Tempest Mk.VI, just wish I had found my Israeli Squadron badges sheet for use with the Hawk.
Progress with a few hunters as well, the engine front and other associated parts that I am shoehorning inside the Xtrakit T7 have been painted as has the intake area for the Super Hunter as well as elongating the rear of the cockpit/spine to be a little bit more streamlined. Still tons to do but progress has been made in some areas at least.

Gondor

Gondor

A tease of what I have been doing

;D

Gondor

Gondor

A couple of weeks ago I ran to catch a train on my way home, far better to be out of breath I thoought than haveing to wait at least twenty minuites for the next train, I prefer to be moveing rather than waiting most of the time. After I got on the train it took a loooong time of heavy breathing to start getting my breath back. Ended up with an appointment with the medical practice nurse a week ago and am now the owner of a Peak Flow Meter. Since that bout of running I have not needed to do anything of the sort again, thankfully! Just as well as I have been feeling slightly short of breath ever since. The practice nurse suggested that it might be long covidas they are seeing cases of what they beleive to be that a year after some people have had the virus, as there is no test to say one way or the other it's not going to be conclusive.
Better news, my cat Spot returned home today, last seen Monday evening. He does occasionally go on extended pawtrole for a few days but this was the longest he one he has been on. My elderly neighbour who he seems to visit more than me  :-\ was getting worried about him, thinking that someone had taken him in or wondering what was stopping him from comming home or even where was he sleeping. I reminded her that this time last year I found him sleeping under a bush near the local main road and that it took a while of me calling on him to wake him up.
Modelling wise I am not feeling like doing much today, just been pottering aboout trying to find parts of my MB-5 that is part built, yet to find the wings which are built, just not attached to the fuselage which has been returned to it's box. Wonderful how you can't find anything once you tidy up  :rolleyes:

Gondor

PR19_Kit

What are your average PFM readings Alastair? 400 is good, below 200 is a disaster!

I've had one for ever, and check every week or so, but I can do 600 on a really good day. The medics reckon having asthma for 75+ yrs has developed some hefty lung muscles in my case.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Only been using the PFM since Tuesday and I missed that evenings reading as I forgot, well it was something new to me to do. Lowest so far is 375 with a high of roughly 500. Still feel a bit out of breath though and quite short of breath after any reasonable exertion.

Gondor

Gondor

Typical me, and probably the same as many of you. I am in the middle of building several kits so what do I do... that's right, out comes another kit.

Can you tell what it is yet?

Mind you, in my defence parts from other kits did trigger the build which has been in the back of my mind for some time. At the moment its a case of something to fettle with while sitting at the PC

Gondor