Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

A little bit of modelling on the Hawks. Fitted the main undercarriage legs to the Armed one I am building. This one is going to be Israeli of 147 Squadron in the Advanced Training role so it will be camouflaged and have some "Trainer Orange" on it as well as haveing a radar nose. My purchase of a CM-150 Magister was to provide decals and markins that might be appropriate for the aircraft/role. The spares box is providing the CBLS 200 which I beleive came from OGL Industries' with the drop tanks purchased along with the gun od and pylons from Air-Graphics. There will be a Blue painted sidewinder on the other available pylon. Just had a thought of hanging a Pave Penny pod somewhere under the forward fuselage which will add much needed weight foorward of the main undercarriage. The problem with balanceing is why I have added the main undercarriage to the wings so I can get a real idea if it's a tail sitter or not. While the Revell kit is very nice in its detail, couble the fiddilyness of some parts with my deteriorating eyesight and it's not easy to get the mail leg retraction jacks fitted correctly. I think I have them fitted correctly though after tempting the carpet monster with one of them  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Well it looks like I have enough weight forward of the main undercarriage in the Hawks!  :drink:

Both of them are nose heavy which is good as there is still the tail feathers to go on the back end. All the seats are assembled now as well. I am also making progress with the Tempest. The cockpit parts are gluing inside the fuselage although saying that the glue is only applied to one side for now. I also found out that there is a tab on either side of the instrument panel and that the top of the panel is at the front of the cockpit cut out in the fuselage as the instructions are slightly indistinct, a side view would have been a help here rather than just an arrow pointing to anywhere within a 5mm area.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

First PSR session has been carried out on the Israeli Hawk only for me to discover that Sprue D has gone walkabout  :banghead:

A reasonably thorough search has been carried out without discovering its where about's. All the obvious places have been looked through as well as a couple of not so obvious places.  :banghead: :banghead:

So has anyone get a spare Revell 1/72 BAe Hawk T.1 box number 04970, Sprue D consists of only the Sidewinders and their launch rails, if so can they send to me fairly sharp as the Scottish Nationals are in the middle of next month and I want to have this kit there if possible.

Saying that the darn thing will turn up five minutes after someone put a set in the post to me. I'm willing to compensate the sender or to send mine when I find it. I prefer to use the launch rails that come with the kit as there is an adaptor between the pylon and the rail which is molded onto the rail and I don't know the dimensions to replicate them either.

Thanks in advance

Gondor

kerick

Do you have a dog or cat that chews up anything they can get a hold of?  :banghead:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: kerick on April 24, 2022, 09:57:44 PM
Do you have a dog or cat that chews up anything they can get a hold of?  :banghead:

I have a cat who spends 95% of his time indoors sleeping with the other 5% eating. He is an outdoor cat and spends the night outside on pawtrol, sometimes he dosent come home. This morning he did, last time he came home was Saturday. The only interest he has in my modelling is when I get packages delivered, he has to have a sniff of them and that's as far as his interest in my models goes.
So there is no blameing the cat.

Gondor

Rick Lowe

I lived with a cat once, that sent the short-body Huey conversion that I was in the middle of, for an air-test...
Li'l furry ratbag...  :angry:

kerick

If the earth was flat cats would have knocked everything off the edge by now.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rheged

Quote from: kerick on April 25, 2022, 07:51:08 AM
If the earth was flat cats would have knocked everything off the edge by now.

.....or alternatively been kicked off the edge by irate gardeners, modellers etc.........
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

I think cats are wonderfull. Every garden should have a live moving target!  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Some cats are essential for modellers, as a Scale Reference of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I know there are cat lovers out there. My dad was not until he got this little calico one. That little thing followed him everywhere including his workshop, jumping up onto the workbench to see what he was doing. Which was ok until she started knocking the screws and nails off. Then she got evicted for awhile. She had a habit of climbing into other peoples cars. There was an event at the high school next door and we think she climbed into someone's car and went home with them as we never saw her after that.
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 25, 2022, 03:03:29 PM
Some cats are essential for modellers, as a Scale Reference of course.

Of course.
And they're cheaper in the long run than our stashes...

Gondor

Had a slight panic earlier when looking for the tailplanes for my Airfix Tempest. Because part of the wing was on the same sprue I had the horrible thought I had thrown it out when the wing had been removed. Thankfully after a bit of searching I found the missing sprue and another one that I had not been working with so the tail surfaces are now installed without any filler.
I keep forgetting that the Vallejo Filler I have is only good when used for small gaps, not steps between parts  :banghead: so fixing a slight mismatch on the nose of my Airfix Tempest, all my own fault for fitting the Freightdog Mk VI conversion set into it.

Gondor

Gondor

Just found a problem with one of the Hawks I am trying to finish for next weekend. The front cockpit is missing its control column  :banghead: I gave the model a light wash yesterday and I am guessing thatthe darn thing is swimming down the drain  :thumbsup:
I do have an alternative plan. I have a couple of Hawks that I am not building at the moment so I will pinch one from one of those and then when I build the one I "borrowed" the column from will get a pilot who will be holding a control column which will cover/mask a scratch built item  :thumbsup:
Both of the Hawks are progressing well though. The Israeli one will be getting the "ears" behind the cockpit fitted next and then its finishing the cockpit and adding the glazing. The wheels and undercarriage will get a shot of grey/white primer as the base kits are red and I am painting they a light grey so something is needed to neutralise the red.
The Tempest is going really well apart from one join between the resin and plastic. I am sure this is due to my using too much Vallejo Plastic Putty which it seams to work well for Small thin gaps, I just used too much in too big a gap  :banghead: The gun barrels were cut flush and sanded smooth after I had marked a line where they had been. small circles have been drilled out where the cannons should be. The build is getting late wheels from a KP Tempest kit and could well be done in Far East markings.

Gondor

Gondor

My Israeli Hawk has just completed its final coat for the undersides, tomorrow the first top coat so I am relaxing and looking at refference material for the demarcation line between upper and lower fuselage. I have also decided that the second Hawk will be finished later as that was to be in the modern all over Gloss Black and I am not sure that I would be able to bet the backing for the roundels white enough in the time I have befor the Perth show. The F.6 Tempest has had it's lower side finished paint wise and the undercarriage legs are now painted. Tomorrow the first top coat and as there are only two colours on the upper side compaired to the Hawk's three or four I am fairly confident to finish that as well  :thumbsup:

Gondor