Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on December 30, 2022, 04:28:55 AM.

As for the didotenak gell, what I am using was prescribed by the doctor and is free, if I could get the didotenak I would have to pay for it. Thanks anyway.

Gondor

YW.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Thought I better post an update.

Just managed to complete an eventful circuit of the Sun again duering the course of which I used up way too much of my holidays from work way too early  :rolleyes:  so the last three or four months I have had only an hour available. Admittedly I did need to use some of my holidays to cover the failings of public transport which I was forced to use due to poor eyesight.
The good thing was that I did get both eye's sorted duering the year so I have been back driving as soon as I could, cheaper, more reliable and exactly when I need it.
There is only one place that I know of where Public Transport is as good as or better, and that's London. Anywhere else and you can strugle even at rush hour.
Also a few months ago decided to change my car due to a colleague at work missing a day at work with a broken alternator. For the non car knowledgeable people, that's the part that takes the twelve volt pattery and changes it to a much higher voltage to work the spark plugs, at least as far as I can remember  :-\
So I now drive a little red Suzuki Swift rather than a Ford Focus. It's several years newer, a little bit smaller but to a much higher specification and has a far better MPG too.

Modelling wise age is possibly starting to take it's toll. I have painted some parts for a couple of AZ Models Bf 109's twice and will have to do so again as they were the right colour untill yesterday evening  :banghead:
It's partly due to my using the wrong colour for my S-199 which is a whiff anyway so this is not a problem, however I had thought that while I had the paint out I would paint some parts for a couple of other models that would need the same colour and save some time later...... yeah right with the way things have been goeing  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

So more work was done on the S-199, untill one peice disappeared into the distance  :banghead:  I did hear it hit something that sounded like paper, but that is all I know  :banghead:

It's one of the "new" parts that goes under the engine as well. I could scratch build the part but as I have the eduard Dual Combo kit of the S-199 I can pinch the part from there as one will use a different option that will not be using the part. On checking the eduard instructions they do that area of the underside as a seperate peice so I will have to scratch build the part but I can still use the eduard part as a guide so not so bad.

I have a new sick line for another week, the muscle is not fully healed which I am not really supprised about as its the right side of my sternum and I am right handed so I use that muscle almost all the time  :banghead:  On the other hand it does mean that I have more time for modelling.... if I feel like it that is.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on January 05, 2023, 09:28:35 AMSo more work was done on the S-199, untill one peice disappeared into the distance  :banghead:  I did hear it hit something that sounded like paper, but that is all I know  :banghead:

It's one of the "new" parts that goes under the engine as well. I could scratch build the part but as I have the eduard Dual Combo kit of the S-199 I can pinch the part from there as one will use a different option that will not be using the part. On checking the eduard instructions they do that area of the underside as a seperate peice so I will have to scratch build the part but I can still use the eduard part as a guide so not so bad.

I have a new sick line for another week, the muscle is not fully healed which I am not really supprised about as its the right side of my sternum and I am right handed so I use that muscle almost all the time  :banghead:  On the other hand it does mean that I have more time for modelling.... if I feel like it that is.

Gondor

I know all about scratching unnecessary replacement parts. Sooooo annoying!
Before giving up, however, I use to take a torch and shine along the floor, making it easier to find the offending little bugger.
Didn't help much in finding that Valiant wing tip, though..  :-\

Take it easy with that muscle. From own experience - we old grumpy farts heal slower these days than we once did. Not fun, but we need to compensate for it nevertheless.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on January 05, 2023, 09:47:45 AMI know all about scratching unnecessary replacement parts. Sooooo annoying!
Before giving up, however, I use to take a torch and shine along the floor, making it easier to find the offending little bugger.

Take it easy with that muscle. From own experience - we old grumpy farts heal slower these days than we once did. Not fun, but we need to compensate for it nevertheless.

I try to take it easy, however the better it gets the more I do which means that it gets a little worse so takes more time to heal so when it does I do more..... never ending cycle  :-\

Maybe I should take a day or two playing CIV VI and watching YouTube videos?

Gondor

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on January 05, 2023, 09:47:45 AMI know all about scratching unnecessary replacement parts. Sooooo annoying!

Take your socks off and walk about in bare feet. If it's on the floor you will find it  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 06, 2023, 05:35:30 AMTake your socks off and walk about in bare feet. If it's on the floor you will find it  :rolleyes:

No chance of that, I have been modelling in this room for twenty-two years so the number of little offcuts that the occasional vacuum misses would make that easy compaired to walking on Legos  :rolleyes:

Gondor

kerick

Get a used nylon sock from the spousal unit and place the over the end of the vacuum cleaner hose then vacuum the area. Then vacuum a much larger area than you would imagine a part could fly. Works for some folks. Or put in a new vacuum bag and do the whole room. Then cut the bay open.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: kerick on January 06, 2023, 07:18:01 AMGet a used nylon sock from the spousal unit and place the over the end of the vacuum cleaner hose then vacuum the area. Then vacuum a much larger area than you would imagine a part could fly. Works for some folks. Or put in a new vacuum bag and do the whole room. Then cut the bay open.

No spousal unit nor any member of the opposite gender in the household and the last one didn't wear tights or stockings as she wore trousers or jeans. No complaint from me about that either. There is also no guarantee that the part is on the floor either. A good idea though.

Gondor

Rheged

Quote from: kerick on January 06, 2023, 07:18:01 AMGet a used nylon sock from the spousal unit and place the over the end of the vacuum cleaner hose then vacuum the area. Then vacuum a much larger area than you would imagine a part could fly. Works for some folks.

It certainly works for me.  The other trick is to put a fairly powerful magnet in a poly bag and scan it over the floor.......................the bag means that you can more easily separate magnet and debris after the search.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

Quote from: Rheged on January 06, 2023, 07:47:28 AM
Quote from: kerick on January 06, 2023, 07:18:01 AMGet a used nylon sock from the spousal unit and place the over the end of the vacuum cleaner hose then vacuum the area. Then vacuum a much larger area than you would imagine a part could fly. Works for some folks.

It certainly works for me.  The other trick is to put a fairly powerful magnet in a poly bag and scan it over the floor.......................the bag means that you can more easily separate magnet and debris after the search.

My dad rigged up a magnet on a broom stick to pick up nails and screws off the floor after his back wouldn't bend very well anymore. Worked pretty good too! The bag would be a nice addition.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

The magnet trick works fine if your looking for something magnetic, 99.99% of the time what I have to look for is not.

Gondor

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on January 06, 2023, 08:45:09 AMThe magnet trick works fine if your looking for something magnetic, 99.99% of the time what I have to look for is not.

Gondor

True, but it's better than finding shards of scalpel blade with your toes!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on January 06, 2023, 08:46:16 AM
Quote from: Gondor on January 06, 2023, 08:45:09 AMThe magnet trick works fine if your looking for something magnetic, 99.99% of the time what I have to look for is not.

Gondor

True, but it's better than finding shards of scalpel blade with your toes!

The only scalpel blade, or any type of blade that I can remember breaking, went at the handle end and would not stay on the handle when any pressure was applied, other than that they get binned whole due to being dull/blunt. I also do not walk around bare foot unless it's duering the night to cross the hall to the bathroom.

Gondor

Gondor

Funny thing modelling. There I was sitting at my PC and realising that I did in fact have some money that I could spend and then wondering what on earth to spend it on. I could only think of one kit, the Airfix 1/48 Avro Anson, but I also knew that not haveing been at work just befor Christmas I have not received the customary gift card from the company and that is what I plan to use to get that kit, oh well ho humm....

Looking at some of the kits in my modelling room lead me to look at the Aerocraft Models site as they have some cowling for the eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest Mk.II that I have, ok, lets have a look and see what else he has available.... hummm Seamless intakes for the recent Airfix Vulcan..... both 301 and 201 versions and a new canopy with wiper blades... sounds like a plan to me but just get the one set of intakes, the other set can wait.

Now I recently bought the A & A Models Martin Mauler, but I want to do something different with mine as JB has already done a Vietnam War version, so something along that line but different I thought. Searching my Stash Database, an Excel spreadsheet and after delveing through scalemates and not finding the Skyraider AEW.1 in any form other than a Sword kit yet I knew I had something in the stash, hence the search. Result, Box 25 in the loft has a Revell Skyraider box with an Aeroclub conversion so I may get the parts, or at least the measurements for makeing my own conversion for a Mauler AEW.1

Funny how after just looking around you can end up spending money like no tomorrow  :rolleyes:

Gondor