"Battlewings" model miniatures

Started by Stingray, April 10, 2013, 08:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stingray

Battlewings is an entirely miniature-orientated film project of mine. Familiar with shows like Thunderbirds? Well, this is a sort of homage to that style. The story is actually very brony in nature, so be warned that MLP is involved. However, I doubt it would even matter given that this is mostly a film to demonstrate my model effects.  :rolleyes:

QuoteThe year is 2241. The Earth and its neighboring Solar planets have been destroyed, forcing outland humans to search for a new homeworld in the depths of alien space. They found one...

For years us humans and an intelligent pony species have coexisted and shared our technological knowledge. But some of us sought total conquest of the planet, planning to eliminate the species so that we can be the dominant species of the planet and space itself.

A special unit was created with the cooperation of the Equestrian armed forces and the human militaries to counter these advanced terrorists, officially designated the 125th Stellar Defence Force. Also known as...

Battlewings.

The action will be very Star Wars in nature, but with military accuracy and a retro-rocking soundtrack like Top Gun or Iron Eagle, and main battleship action along the lines of submarine movies (Das Boot or The Hunt For Red October).

The characters are action figures, and the spaceships are model miniatures I've built from nothing but absolute junk I found lying around or in trash cans.

Some of the models are actually from an earlier project called Alien Reborn, and will be recycled into this project.

Here are the original models, as seen in the other thread:

And here are the new ones made specifically for Battlewings that will accompany the old ones:
(Note, they are still under construction)

As of 2019 I have transitioned; My name is now Rei. Please don't deadname or misgender me, thank you. <3

Stingray's Rotorcraft Forum

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Stingray

As of 2019 I have transitioned; My name is now Rei. Please don't deadname or misgender me, thank you. <3

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

Stingray

;D

Well, when you don't have / can't afford actual model kits to butcher and want to make cool retroish spaceships, just go dumpster-diving for fuselage 'shapes' and take apart broken machines and use the little pieces as greebles. They actually look much better in motion on a video camera.  ;)

I've just finished the enemy logistics and carrier starship. I'll post some pics when I can.

Weaver

Fair comment - when you see shots of movie model shops in the days before CGI, there are piles and piles of brand new kits stacked up in the background for butchering, with a total value about that of your house. I seem to remember someone who worked on Alien saying that they'd had every Airfix Space Shuttle in every model and toy shop in the south of England (and that was in the days when there were a LOT more model shops and a LOT more toy shops that sold models....)  :blink:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on April 26, 2013, 04:35:22 AM
I seem to remember someone who worked on Alien saying that they'd had every Airfix Space Shuttle in every model and toy shop in the south of England (and that was in the days when there were a LOT more model shops and a LOT more toy shops that sold models....)  :blink:

OGL and I both knew one of the modellers who worked on that, and they had a production line of Shuttle engines that BOGGLED the mind on their dining room table!  :o

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on April 26, 2013, 04:35:22 AM
Fair comment - when you see shots of movie model shops in the days before CGI, there are piles and piles of brand new kits stacked up in the background for butchering, with a total value about that of your house. I seem to remember someone who worked on Alien saying that they'd had every Airfix Space Shuttle in every model and toy shop in the south of England (and that was in the days when there were a LOT more model shops and a LOT more toy shops that sold models....)  :blink:

I remember reading (hearing, whatever) when ILM was building the trenches and surfaces of the Death Star for A New Hope, the model build crew raided every hobby shop in LA/Hollywood area for warship kits.

Physical models, IMHO, still have their place in sci-fi movies.  You *just* can't truly replicate all the textures and shadows that a real model has. (Although 2009's Star Trek came really damn close)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

I think it's actually a selling point when they use "old fashioned craft" film making techniques and get it right. Look at Moon: that was highly praised for it's effects, and they were all traditional model photography.

There are some things that only CGI can do full stop, there are some things that only CGI can do for the available budget (particularly relevent to TV shows), and there are some things that CGI does better, but only some things. Physical models and real sets have a place.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Stingray

You guys are definitely my audience. I have and always will feel just the same way about traditional model effects versus CGI. Battlewings should be very entertaining around these parts.  :smiley:

--

Anyway, look what I finally finished yesterday:

Now off I go to film these beasts in action!   :mellow:

sykotik

they are just freakin awesome! I love the really big one in the first shot with the big round thing on the top - that's just sick!! I want to see your space carrier when it's done. I have my own "plans" for one that I will one day eventually build, but in the mean time, I'll take in inspiration from all sources ;)

Thanks for sharing

Sy

Father Ennis

Great looking stuff !!!!!!  I really like what you are doing with your ships.

deathjester

Very nice!  Excellent found object work.  One question though:  will you be putting a dash of colour on these to break up the grey?  It can help in several ways - enhancing the look of the ships, showing the orientation of the ships in shot, helping with the focusing of the cameras, and helping the audience identify different factions ships.

Stingray

Sorry for disappearing yet again, but, well, here I am. ;D  Thanks for the such positive feedback!

Quote from: deathjester on May 29, 2013, 03:41:46 PM
will you be putting a dash of colour on these to break up the grey?  It can help in several ways - enhancing the look of the ships, showing the orientation of the ships in shot, helping with the focusing of the cameras, and helping the audience identify different factions ships.

Not on the larger ships like the Taarna, Dreadnaught, or the still unnamed enemy carrier, or even the newly-constructed Gateway space station. Test-filming showed they looked their best in gray shades under the lighting I use and the quality of my one and only camera. Some of the fighters, though, do have color.

For identifying faction origin, this is very easy with how they're presented, even if they were ALL solid colors. I made sure every spacecraft had a recognizable shape when building them, so this combined with how the film is edited, will easily distinguish which ship belongs to which faction.

Then there's color-coded tracer rounds in battle, if that isn't enough...  :thumbsup: