Er, real world whifs?

Started by Mr.Creak, April 11, 2013, 03:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 12, 2017, 05:51:29 AM
...It always worries me when people use the word "intuitive" when referring to computer systems...

You can trust me Chris... :wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 12, 2017, 05:51:29 AMIt always worries me when people use the word "intuitive" when referring to computer systems as my version of the world (seated firmly in the days of the printed page) and thus the understanding of the word is obviously not the same as theirs.

Chris

The only thing "intuitive" about high tech is if you put it in front of a Marine (American, British, or Commonwealth) they *will* find a way to break it...while snacking on crayons. ;D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

Not really a whif, but if someone is bound for Scotland (Stirling) this summer, you might consider a stay here:

http://www.helicopterglamping.com/

A Seaking (ex ZA 127) turned into a hotel room!

jcf

No matter how much they pretty it up, it'll still smell like hydraulic fluid.  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Must be harmless when compared to a Soviet relic. THOSE are smelly...   :drink:

jcf

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 17, 2017, 10:50:15 AM
Must be harmless when compared to a Soviet relic. THOSE are smelly...   :drink:

Seeing as skydrol causes skin burns and rashes ...

Rick Lowe

I saw the episode where they revamped that Sea King - the amount of tech that was still in there had to be seen to be believed, almost as if they just removed the trigger mechanisms and walked away...
They probably halved the weight of the thing with what they took out.

Interesting sleepout.

Joe C-P

I know there has been ideas about this on the board, so here is a real-world proposal:

https://seawaves.com/2019/02/26/coalition-of-hope-seeking-ex-uss-nassau/

I'm uncertain how practical this is, whether the cost could be borne even by a coalition of NGOs. The crew needs would be lesser than when in USN service, and the design is just the thing for a floating hospital able to support unimproved locations.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

kerick

An interesting proposal. I hope they can make it work.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Was it seadude who built a version of that a few years ago? :unsure:

[A very short search later]

Yep, it was!

Check here for more: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,35600.225.html
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Stumbled upon this "real" whif:

Wildcat by JC BX, on Flickr

It's a privately-owned French North American NA-68, "posing" as a Hellcat (IMHO rather than a Wildcat, as the FlickR source claims). Quite effective, though.  ;D

NARSES2

Hellcat yes and very effective, especially in the top view.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Don't think the French flew Wildcats, so Hellcat is much more likely.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

It looks very buildable too! Nice find.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TomZ

Quote from: kerick on February 19, 2024, 06:55:07 AMIt looks very buildable too! Nice find.

The Harvard has been posing as all kind aircrafts over the years.
So potential for whole collection here.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency