Another Boeing SST Supersonic Clipper idea

Started by McColm, April 19, 2013, 07:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hello,
I've been surfing the net and came across the Revell 1/200 H263 Boeing SST Supersonic Clipper Model 2707-200. There are still a few of these kits about, slightly longer than the Concorde kit at 18 inches in length and you get two kits in the box. One has the wings swept back and the other the wings swept for landing/take off.
I've got the 1/72 model of the Rockwell B-1B bomber in my stash and that's a big kit, I might try using a 1/144 kit instead and I'll need the Concorde kit in the same scale or the Russian Tu-160 bomber & Tu-144 . As for the engines well they seem to be on pods towards the rear of the aircraft.
I don't know if any of you have tried to build your own version of the 2707-200, but the nose looks too ungainly/ugly. You might be able to use the Tu-144, as I'm not too sure on the cross-section of the model if it would fit.
I'm sure my fellow Whiffers will be able to tell me the best kits to use for this build.

Then there is the military option of turning it into a bomber or recce version with speeds of up to mach 3 I'm sure the USAF would have found a use for it!!

As I've read deeper, I've come across reasons why the 2707-200 wasn't built. The materials weren't available and yet the SR-71 was built. The sonic boom, well the B-1A was built for mach 2.5 and Carter cancelled the project. Reagan revised the design for mach 1. Even the ill-fated XB-70 was built and that was to cruise at mach 3.
I didn't come across any buyers for the project and only saw the 2707-200 in Pam Am colours although I'm sure all of the major airliners at that time would have been targeted.

PR19_Kit

I think that Revell kit of the 2702-200 is 1/200 scale, so it's a VERY big aircraft compared to a Concorde.

I have a DrawDecal sheet for that kit for a BA Landor scheme.....  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

albeback

Like the idea! Been trying to get one of these for a while. Unfortunately, silly prices seem to be the order of the day.........!!!!! :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REVELL-1969-BOEING-SST-SUPERSONIC-CLIPPER-PAN-AMERICAN-/230966483061?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item35c6acd875
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: albeback on April 28, 2013, 01:54:57 AM
Like the idea! Been trying to get one of these for a while. Unfortunately, silly prices seem to be the order of the day.........!!!!! :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REVELL-1969-BOEING-SST-SUPERSONIC-CLIPPER-PAN-AMERICAN-/230966483061?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item35c6acd875

You should see the prices for the original boxing, the one in yellow and black!

There was some trader at a recent model show had one going for over £400 on the grounds that it was 'very rare'. It wouldn't be so bad if the kit wasn't such a bitch to build, the top and bottom halves of either version need a considerable amount of levering and clamping to stay in line before the glue goes off.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 28, 2013, 03:40:51 AMYou should see the prices for the original boxing, the one in yellow and black!

A couple of years ago I saw one at a hobby store out in eastern Ontario - $20!!! Kicked myself for not grabbing it, he probably doesn't know what they're going for among collectors. If I'm ever out that way again I'll have another look, and if it's still there I will NOT be leaving empty-handed!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Alvis 3.14159

It's things like this that lead to my horrendously large stash/horde. Anything in an SSP release I've been hoovering up for years. Oddly, the SSTs didn't sell that quickly at the store where I worked. We had a couple in stock for a couple years, the boss was less than amused.

And no, I'm not letting mine go either! I was lucky enough to get one half of the old yellow set, the "in flight" version. I did pick up the SSP reissue, and it's certainly an interesting and big plane. Too bad there's not a decent (any?)Tupolev in that scale, 1/200 Concordes are fairly useable at least.

Alvis Pi

Weaver

Quote from: McColm on April 19, 2013, 07:22:28 AM
As I've read deeper, I've come across reasons why the 2707-200 wasn't built. The materials weren't available and yet the SR-71 was built.

The SR-71 nearly wasn't built because most of the world's titanium ore comes from.... Russia! They only got enough of the stuff by setting up a system of fake front companies that managed to import some into Europe and then re-export it to America. Notice how titanium was a near-mythic "unobtanium" type material until the mid 1990s, then suddenly became common as muck? That's why.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

Rat   if you want it, phone em to see if theyve still got it and see if theyll post it.  just an idea
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

The Rat

Quote from: Steel Penguin on April 28, 2013, 11:45:04 AM
Rat   if you want it, phone em to see if theyve still got it and see if theyll post it.  just an idea

It's been on my mind to do that. I just keep hoping the boss will send me out there again, that way I get paid to go shopping, fishing, dining, birding, photographing, etc.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

NARSES2

Quote from: The Rat on April 28, 2013, 12:56:19 PM

It's been on my mind to do that. I just keep hoping the boss will send me out there again, that way I get paid to go shopping, fishing, dining, birding, photographing, etc.

That statement could get you in trouble with the significant other half in the UK  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 29, 2013, 07:01:00 AM
Quote from: The Rat on April 28, 2013, 12:56:19 PM

That statement could get you in trouble with the significant other half in the UK  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

;D  Over here we've divided it up into 'birdwatchers' and 'birders', based on intensity. A birdwatcher is someone who watches birds. A birder is someone who goes to the Florida Everglades and figures that alligators are just an occupational hazard.

JayBee

In the UK we refer to what you call birders as Twitchers.
They have their phones/tablets set to alert sites which let them know when something rare arrives. They will then travel up to hundreds of miles, by what ever means possible, just for a quick glimpse of the rare bird.
All to their own I say.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on April 29, 2013, 08:20:32 AM

They have their phones/tablets set to alert sites which let them know when something rare arrives. They will then travel up to hundreds of miles, by what ever means possible, just for a quick glimpse of the rare bird.
All to their own I say.

Just like we do when Airfix announce a new Typhoon, or Modelzone hold a sale then?  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

McColm

Hi Guys,
I won a kit off eBay for a ten pound note plus post and packaging. It's the Revel 50th anniversary logo on the outside of the box and Pan Am decals inside. The stand is made from blue plastic.
Yes this is a big kit, but has easy to assemble instructions, still don't like the dropped nose in the landing/take off position.
I'll surf the net for alternative decals, although there is no scale on the box or on the instructions. I wonder if 1/144 decals could be used on the tail?

PR19_Kit

You got a 2707 for a TENNER! What a deal, fantastic!  :thumbsup:

That BA Landor scheme decal that I have is just one of a BIG range that DRAW Decals do for the 2707. See here for a list of 11 (I think....)

http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/searchresults.asp?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=1919&show=10&page=2

Don't go back to page 1, they're for a 1/400 scale kit.

Regards
Kit