hybrids : aircraft & music instruments

Started by ericr, April 20, 2013, 10:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericr

I recently thought again about this image, which is an old LP cover : the flying piano / B17 always puzzled me : it looks good!

I'd like to try something with a miniature piano and an appropriately scaled B-17.

Also the others ones, bi-motors with flutes or guitars, can give us ideas ...

Would that be a Whif? it certainly features aircraft parts re-assembled in an unthought of way.
It's the hybrid non-aircraft which makes it a bit beyond whif.

Do you know other instances of hybrids combining aurcraft with other things?

I have some things about hybrids aircratf & animals, I could post a few of them here

Eric

Weaver

I always fancied turning a toy guitar into a space ship for Hawkwind, complete with "needle" ships...... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

While not a musical instrument, Budgie did use an SR-71 on their album "Squawk"

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

ericr

Quote from: kerick on April 20, 2013, 06:39:58 PM
You should see the album covers for the band "Boston".
http://darksinistar.hubpages.com/hub/25-Greatest-Hard-Rock-and-Heavy-Metal-Album-Covers#
http://www.unm.edu/~theboy/ArtWork.htm

ah yes indeed, it is a beautiful crossing between spaseship and guitar! thanks!

actually I hadn't understood that it was a guitar until you made me look  ;)

ericr

Quote from: rickshaw on April 20, 2013, 09:35:15 PM
While not a musical instrument, Budgie did use an SR-71 on their album "Squawk"

That's great!
it is indeed rather a hybrid aircraft+animal : I think I will start another topic on that, I have a few things on that ...

ericr

Quote from: Weaver on April 20, 2013, 03:53:52 PM
I always fancied turning a toy guitar into a space ship for Hawkwind, complete with "needle" ships...... ;D

exactly ! there are toy musical instruments around, some of them in plastic, so we could try working with that material

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

ericr

Quote from: Weaver on April 21, 2013, 10:20:41 AM
Check out the guitar-gun:

waah, it must be do-able too with a toy guitar and a toy-gun.
Thanks for the link; I wonder what the music's like?  ;)

Weaver

I love Hawkwind, but I'd be the first to admit it's an acquired taste. As somebody once said, "you've got to be out of it to be into it...." ;)

I've got a little Hawkwind fanzine here with a splendidly non-linear comic strip in which the entire stage is a spaceship that goes faster the harder they play..... ;D

- Indiana Jones

ericr

hi there,

just made some progress on that topic by implementing the crossing between a Chengdu F-7E and a flute :
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,38180.0.html

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on April 20, 2013, 06:39:58 PM
You should see the album covers for the band "Boston".
http://darksinistar.hubpages.com/hub/25-Greatest-Hard-Rock-and-Heavy-Metal-Album-Covers#
http://www.unm.edu/~theboy/ArtWork.htm

Just caught up with this thread.

Dead right about 'Boston', they had a real thing about saucers, they even had one hung over the stage at a concert I went to in Boston itself, sometime in '88 I think. Their 'More than a Feeling' brought the house down and they did it again as a 2nd encore.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on April 21, 2013, 12:33:48 PM
I love Hawkwind, but I'd be the first to admit it's an acquired taste...

Yes and no.  I've found that the Hawks output has been so varied over the years that if you play enough different albums you'll eventually find something for anyone.  Even the most ardent "anti" i've known cracked and was forced to admit they weren't all bad when I played him "Astounding Sounds...".

I should have guessed your musical taste from your avatar and the quote.
Do you find yourself compulsively including '23' in the serial numbers of your builds?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on December 28, 2013, 02:19:38 AM
Quote from: Weaver on April 21, 2013, 12:33:48 PM
I love Hawkwind, but I'd be the first to admit it's an acquired taste...

Yes and no.  I've found that the Hawks output has been so varied over the years that if you play enough different albums you'll eventually find something for anyone.  Even the most ardent "anti" i've known cracked and was forced to admit they weren't all bad when I played him "Astounding Sounds...".

I should have guessed your musical taste from your avatar and the quote.
Do you find yourself compulsively including '23' in the serial numbers of your builds?

LOL - no, but I have gone through '23' phases in other respects. "RAW World" and "Hawkworld" are just two of many frames of reference that I dip in to and out of as whim and coincidence/synchronicity lead me; something which I'm sure Bob would approve of.... :wacko: There may be other things in my builds that may or may not have hidden refererences though. If I ever get around to building the Flying Fortean B-17 I have in mind, there will be much speculation food therein.

I'm currently, finally, reading Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49, which is cross-referenced a lot by RAW.

Speaking of sychronicity, you've just responded to a post I made about Hawkwind eight months ago, mentioning RAW stuff in the process, the day after I finally saw the title sequence of a movie I've been seeing bits of for years: 2005's War of the Worlds (the Tom Cruise one). Why is this relevent? Because of the way they re-wrote Wells in the opening narrative, that's why:

Wells : ....and yet, across the gulf of space, mind immesurably superior to our regarded this Earth with envious eyes..."

2005 Movie : ....and yet, across the gulf of space, intellects vast, and cool, and unsympathetic regarded this Earth with envious eyes..."

I was about to say that the "vast, cool and unsympathetic" description was straight lift from Robert Anton Wilson's Schrodinger's Cat (1979), and that somebody had thereby sneaked a bit of smart stuff into an otherwise dunb Hollywood movie. However, while trying to get the quote right, I've just found (on youtube) the title sequence of the 1953 movie, which goes:

1953 Movie : "....and yet, across the gulf of space, on the planet Mars, intellects vast, cool and unsympathetic regarded this Earth with envious eyes..."

So it looks like RAW deliberately or unconsciously lifted from George Pall..... :o ;)

- Indiana Jones

The Rat

I notice that B-17/piano has both a nosewheel and tailwheel. Must be fun trying to land it! Maybe they train the pilots on seaplanes so they know how to smoothly kiss it on without flaring. Or maybe the rear one is a precursor to the one on the Ilyushin Il-62, lowered on the ground to prevent the tail dropping if the load shifts.  :lol:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr