LCM & sails, red : hybrid aircraft/animals e.a.

Started by ericr, April 21, 2013, 12:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wuzak

Realizing the need for a larger bomb load and to use bigger bombs the USAAF set about to design their own, using the P-61 airframe.

The program proceeded quickly with the help of Northrop who, for some reason, was not willing to point out the glaring error the USAAF had made....

TheChronicOne

Quote from: wuzak on May 11, 2017, 03:50:32 PM
Realizing the need for a larger bomb load and to use bigger bombs the USAAF set about to design their own, using the P-61 airframe.

The program proceeded quickly with the help of Northrop who, for some reason, was not willing to point out the glaring error the USAAF had made....
;D ;D ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

ericr

thanks all !

it is a scalebash indeed : 144 shuttle and 48 widow

Tophe

Thanks for your scale explanation.
As 144/48=3, these radial engines are 3 times bigger than the R-2000 of the P-61, wow! Great! :thumbsup:
And 3 times in dimensions, in a 3-D world, that makes 3x3= 9 times more volume, about 10 times more power! Wonderful! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

steelpillow

Au contraire, Northrop were never told the true secret. ZCR, Zoom-Climb-Roll, was a new toss-bombing strategy developed to overcome the problem of carrying a bomb too heavy to allow a fast enough zoom climb. On struggling to the top of the climb, the craft executed a full 360 degree snap roll. Attitude sensors opened the bomb doors briefly and released the payload when the craft was half way through. The centrifugal force generated by the roll augmented the effect of gravity to help eject the bomb smoothly and quickly.

Cheers.

wuzak

Quote from: steelpillow on May 12, 2017, 09:32:20 AM

Au contraire, Northrop were never told the true secret. ZCR, Zoom-Climb-Roll, was a new toss-bombing strategy developed to overcome the problem of carrying a bomb too heavy to allow a fast enough zoom climb. On struggling to the top of the climb, the craft executed a full 360 degree snap roll. Attitude sensors opened the bomb doors briefly and released the payload when the craft was half way through. The centrifugal force generated by the roll augmented the effect of gravity to help eject the bomb smoothly and quickly.

;D :thumbsup:

zenrat

I've got another project for you Eric.  Space Shuttle sea plane.
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

Quote from: zenrat on May 12, 2017, 06:14:50 PM
I've got another project for you Eric.  Space Shuttle sea plane.
;D

excellent idea ! done  ;D quite a few years back, in 1/288 (to be re-tried some day as flying boat? or in 1/72?  :o)

zenrat

That's very good although I must admit I was thinking more of a flying boat.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

Quote from: zenrat on May 13, 2017, 02:35:35 AM
That's very good although I must admit I was thinking more of a flying boat.

right, I have to think of a hull ...
only, I don't have any more  complete 1/144 shuttles in my stash
(wings were used elsewhere, but I still have a fuselage or two ...)

Tophe

:-\ To avoid flame on the water (with huge amount of vapor), it is better to be high above water, so I think Engineer ericr was right choosing a floatplane layout. :thumbsup:

ericr

One day I stumbled upon this :

and liked it so I have a turn using a pair of 1/43 2cv's :

and only a bit too late I thought of the yin yang possibility :I might try and find a pair of Beetles after all someday ...

Tophe

TheChronicOne

;D ;D   :mellow:

Trying to think of a practical application for this..... like.... maybe put belt on the tire and use it as a big generator or something?   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

ericr

thanks !

practicality might be slightly suboptimal here indeed  ;D