LCM & sails, red : hybrid aircraft/animals e.a.

Started by ericr, April 21, 2013, 12:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

That B.57/Mig 21 hybrid is probably stirring all sorts of thoughts in fellow wiffers who build jets at this very moment  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 19, 2017, 06:23:22 AM
That B.57/Mig 21 hybrid is probably stirring all sorts of thoughts in fellow wiffers who build jets at this very moment  ;)

YUUUUUUP. I don't even kitbash (yet) but I have an old hasegawa MiG 21 and I'm scheming like crazy all of a sudden because of this build. In fact I was thinking about at work today while I was mowing grass. Quite a bit of time to ruminate on things when you get to just doing typewriter strips. 
-Sprues McDuck-

ericr

thanks !

the Mig/Chengdu is 1/48 by the way, so not mnly kitbash but scalemash  ;D

TheChronicOne

Quote from: ericr on June 19, 2017, 12:59:27 PM

thanks !

the Mig/Chengdu is 1/48 by the way, so not mnly kitbash but scalemash  ;D

Glorious!! I was thinking the other direction... 1/72 MiG and 1/144 B-57.  Now that I know the truth, a thought occurred... maybe I have a use for my 1/48 stash kits after all!  :mellow:  (was planning on getting rid of 'em all but maybe I'll keep a couple now)  <_<
-Sprues McDuck-

Cobra

That Chengdu /B-57 Combo looks like it would Be Used in an Episode of Stingray,Thundertbirds,Captain Scarlet,or Joe 90! Keep up the Superb Work! Dan

ericr

thanks again !

1/48 kits can be a good source of multiscale mashup  ;)

steelpillow

Another great thumbs-up for the trident plane.  :thumbsup:

Hey, it's good enough for a back story.

This was a Chinese quarter-scale aerodynamic prototype for a proposed nuclear bomber, ca. 1963.

The central duct was intended to feed a single giant, nuclear-heated gas turbine in normal cruise. For supersonic dash capability the two conventionally-fuelled auxiliary wing-mounted engines would be fired up. The initial production version would be for all three engines to be pure jet turbines. A Mk II was planned with a two-spool bypass turbofan for the nuclear engine and ramjets for the auxiliaries, technologies which were not mature enough to include in the Mk. I. The new main engine would allow a smaller, lighter reactor (also too advanced for the initial service date) without loss of thrust and hence increased payload, while the ramjets would increase maximum dash speed to Mach 2.4 plus.

The prototype (depicted) had a single conventional jet for its main powerplant. For supersonic tests its wing installations were fitted with liquid-fuelled rocket engines developed from the Walter HWK series used in the Me 163 Komet. It achieved all its test objectives, validating flight characteristics at both low and high speeds. It reached an unintended maximum speed of Mach 1.7, comfortably above its design objective of Mach 1.5, while still accelerating under rocket boost. The crew had been distracted by a complicated cooling issue with the main engine and the pilot lost mental orientation and failed to shut down the rockets at the scheduled moment.

In the process he accidentally validated at this high speed the directional stability and control provided by the large tailfin in the single-engine-out condition, when one of the rockets ran out of fuel three seconds before the other one. The aerodynamic forces experienced on this occasion were so severe that they exceeded the design limits and the airframe was visibly distorted. It was deemed unsafe to fly again.

The nuclear bomber programme was already under review due to the lack of Chinese expertise on high-temperature alloys and consequent weight growth and performance shortfalls of engine components on the test bench. When the test vehicle was grounded, development staff were reallocated to more urgent work and the bomber project cancelled.
Cheers.

ericr

thanks you for th estory !
I must say I am impressed that my modest build is so inspirational  ;D

McColm

TallEng

Quote from: McColm on June 26, 2017, 07:41:53 AM
Quick question,
Where do you get your dragon wings from?

One suspects one would cut them off a dragon (might be best to ensure the aforementioned dragon is dead first)

Regards
Keith (sorry couldn't resist) :rolleyes: ;D ;D
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

ericr

ericr

some aircraft have a snoot, nearly a face of a cat or a dog, and I had to try that ;
plus, it helps me finally using bits and pieces in my stash/scrap box

The space shuttle with a cat

the same shuttle (same scale, that is), but with a dog :

or another cat with a B-17 (1/48) :

or yet another cat, a bit bigger, with a Victor :

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]