LCM & sails, red : hybrid aircraft/animals e.a.

Started by ericr, April 21, 2013, 12:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericr

Quote from: steelpillow on October 13, 2015, 09:28:57 AM

I guess for takeoff the propellers swivel up to act as lifting rotors for VTOL capability. In the photo they are pivoted down for servicing.

But the big question is - is this it, or is it just the tip of a giant spaceplane poking out of its underground launch silo?

yes indeed, it must be a tilt-rotor structure, like an Osprey : and by the way, here is a civil version, hence whiff !
(with a nice floatplane on the side, too)

steelpillow

Cheers.

Captain Canada

Looks like I'll need to hit up the toy store....who doesn't want bits to make a tilt-rotor in their lego stash !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ericr

do you remeber this ?

Quote from: Tophe on July 01, 2015, 10:37:00 AM

sometime ago you had an idea which got into my mind : the Book-Airplane :
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,4461.msg676207.html#msg676207

and I liked so much that I had to try it out : using an Airfix Ar196, and a Clairefontaine notebook, cut to the shape of the wings :

it could have been featured in a Tophe-inspired group build!   ;D

I thought it worthwhile to continue the exploration with another, high-wing example, using a Do-27 :

next one might be a delta  :)

steelpillow

Cheers.

ericr

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

steelpillow

Quote from: ericr on October 16, 2015, 01:35:04 PM
Quote from: steelpillow on October 16, 2015, 11:17:22 AM
Or a Fokker Dr.I Trilogy?

argh, a triplane notebook aircraft! you are challenging me !  :o

You are lucky I didn't suggest a Phillips Multiplane 21-volume encyclopaedia.  ;D
Cheers.

ericr

Quote from: steelpillow on October 17, 2015, 03:37:52 AM
Quote from: ericr on October 16, 2015, 01:35:04 PM
Quote from: steelpillow on October 16, 2015, 11:17:22 AM
Or a Fokker Dr.I Trilogy?

argh, a triplane notebook aircraft! you are challenging me !  :o

You are lucky I didn't suggest a Phillips Multiplane 21-volume encyclopaedia.  ;D

:o :o :o
that would be called "The Universalis" !

ericr

steelpillow

Quote from: ericr on October 17, 2015, 03:54:57 AM

"real" in the sense of 3D, but stil not "realistic" luckily  ;D
[/quote]

More realistic than you think. The Northrop XP-56 "Black Bullet" tailless fighter prototype had split elevons with a folded bellows arrangement sealing the gap in between. They split apart to provide differential drag for turning, in place of a conventional rudder, and were operated by the air blast coming in through a wingtip duct.
Cheers.

ericr

Quote from: steelpillow on October 17, 2015, 05:21:48 AM
More realistic than you think. The Northrop XP-56 "Black Bullet" tailless fighter prototype had split elevons with a folded bellows arrangement sealing the gap in between. They split apart to provide differential drag for turning, in place of a conventional rudder, and were operated by the air blast coming in through a wingtip duct.

astonishing! It feels a bit like I have reinvented something like the wheel!
which is matter to be proud of  ;D

PR19_Kit

IIRC the Horsa glider had its flaps/dive brakes operated by a similar system. They could only be used once as there was no way to get them back up again.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

and now for something completely different :

I always liked the shape of the 2cv, a bit like that of the Beetle, and thought about equipping it with the wing of a space shuttle ...
I had already tried a 1/43 one with 1/288 boosters, and a 1/16 Beetle with 1/144 Boosters
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,37003.msg679216.html#msg679216

and here comes the 1/24 2cv with 1/144 shuttle wings and tail, on top of the 747 SCA :