LCM & sails, red : hybrid aircraft/animals e.a.

Started by ericr, April 21, 2013, 12:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelpillow

Quote from: ericr on April 28, 2016, 10:37:11 PM
And it remembers me of Kuski's church tank : I think some do use Faller or other brands HO churches :

Puts a new spin on the Popemobile!
Cheers.

Tophe

Your model could perfectly embody the question "a modern cruisade?" :thumbsup: :lol:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

ericr

Kuski does incredible builds and sculptures indeed : his site gives much more

ericr

another calderization :
I couldn't find a 1/72 B727 or tri-engine jetliner, so I settled for the Tu134, because it has a quite similar overall shape :

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

ericr

PR19_Kit

I did the Braniff Calder 727 a good many years ago, but in 1/144, like all my airliners. Are your Tu-134 markings decals or paintwork Ericr?

I have the decal sheet for the Calder DC8 too, one day I'll build it as well.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 30, 2016, 12:08:22 PM
I did the Braniff Calder 727 a good many years ago, but in 1/144, like all my airliners. Are your Tu-134 markings decals or paintwork Ericr?

I have the decal sheet for the Calder DC8 too, one day I'll build it as well.

I painted the patterns, lookking at pictures of the real things and adapting to the actual shape of the Tu134

I have decals in 1/144 somwhere, but I like to paint in the mood of the original models used by Calder, less "clean" than the actual plane painting; some pictures can be found, like here

http://airwaysnews.com/html/museums/frontiers-of-flight-museum-at-dallas-love-airport/calder-boeing-727/975

PR19_Kit

That's EXCELLENT work then Ericr.  :thumbsup:

The decals I have, for both Calder aircraft, are relatively 'rough', just as he painted the real thing. For the 727 I hand painted the #1 engine with the updated painting that Calder did on the real thing, with the multi-legged animal running along nacelle, which isn't provided with the decals, which I think were by Jet Set.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

ericr

thanks a lot!
Actually, I do like painting with a brush : my other hobby is painting (acrylic or oil, on canvas)

I just didn't attempt the manual painting of Calder on the engine, because at that scale it is a bit hard to render.
These details are exactly the help you would expect from decals, I would say?

ericr

who told me something about the Buccaneeer associated with a Coke bottle?

it ran through my mind, and came out, when I extracted from my stash a Revell/Matchbox Buccaneer and a metal bottle of Coke, in the form of this hybrid :

the cokckpit, by the way, is from a TA4 Skyhawk I floatplanized some time ago.

PR19_Kit

Looks like a Bucc painted red to me................  ;) ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

steelpillow

Clearly, the hinged nose radome has been removed for maintenance. Brilliant!  :tornado:

Consider also a coke-bottle Convair F-102A, which was modified as such after the original F-102 ran smack into the sound barrier.
Cheers.

ericr

thanks!  ;D

Quote from: steelpillow on May 05, 2016, 11:18:44 AM
Clearly, the hinged nose radome has been removed for maintenance. Brilliant!  :tornado:

Consider also a coke-bottle Convair F-102A, which was modified as such after the original F-102 ran smack into the sound barrier.

I kept the nose for another project to be seen soon ...

does the F102A have such a shape, with a narrow waist? it does not seem too obvious from the pictures I  see ...
and I have no more Coke bottle in my stash  ;D

steelpillow

Quote from: ericr on May 05, 2016, 01:44:48 PM
does the F102A have such a shape, with a narrow waist? it does not seem too obvious from the pictures I  see ...
and I have no more Coke bottle in my stash  ;D

Convair's F-102A was I think the very first aircraft to have the "area ruled" or coke-bottle fuselage. It was a bit of a bodge really, just some squeezing in of the waist aft of the air intake ducting, along with bulges literally bolted on either side of the basic F-102 tail section. The follow-up F-106 (originally designated F-102B) had it designed in from day one, so might be a better target, although once bottled the differences pretty much disappear: It's down to a choice of tail fin really. Meanwhile Republic got in with the F-105 "Thud" - it is well coked and has zany reverse-swept air intakes which would look cool.
Cheers.