LCM & sails, red : hybrid aircraft/animals e.a.

Started by ericr, April 21, 2013, 12:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericr

thanks all !

I am touched by the reactions on the backing story : maybe I should write more of them,
so that my builds, which seem all quite natural to me, would also look plausible to you  ;D

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 13, 2016, 12:49:01 PM
Love that Ericr, but I want to see the tanker too..............  ;D ;)

argh ! I knew I was taking a risk when mentioning it  :o
I wonder if I have a flying tanker tube somewhere in my spares box(es) ...

and yes, I do have a quite voluminous decals collection (nearly all in mint condition, unused !)

ericr

and by the way, wheels are from the 403 and 203 above ...
(still have 2 of them left ...)

ericr

in the same vein of rebuilding, from an aircraft fuselage, a wheeled vehicle that can roam about in deserts and the like :

this is a P-61 (1/48) with the wheels of a VW minibus (1/24) :
it still needs the ladders to climb in, and has a nice large trunk at the bottom (for smuggling?),
as well as an orientable observation turret on top, and shallow horizontal lateral window.

Tophe

Uh? :-\
If I were president of the World, there would be death penalty for destroying a twin-boom model  :angry:
but... ahem, you would be forgiven (but just you only!), as this derivative is so genius & funny... ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

^ Tophe loves his Twin Booms, I've learned. ;D

I like the contraption! That thing is sweet..  looks great and I love all the glass. 

The pitot tube.... LOL!    :o ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

ericr

thanks !

and dont worry about the booms, they will soon re-appear, transformed into something ...

TheChronicOne

I just noticed the narrow panes of glass where the wings would hook into....   I love little touches like that. I can't explain it but "little panes of glass" appeal to me.  If that makes sense....

Anyway, I have a question... do you mask your "glass" or do you free hand it??  I've instances where masking was such a huge pain in the butt... but...if the frame detail is sufficiently raised I can free hand it with moderate success.

-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

That is so cool ! Looks like she would make an awesome sight seeing tour bus, and an even better camper van !

:thumbsup: :wub: ;)
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ericr

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 18, 2016, 03:41:20 PM
I just noticed the narrow panes of glass where the wings would hook into....   I love little touches like that. I can't explain it but "little panes of glass" appeal to me.  If that makes sense....

Anyway, I have a question... do you mask your "glass" or do you free hand it??  I've instances where masking was such a huge pain in the butt... but...if the frame detail is sufficiently raised I can free hand it with moderate success.

yes, instead of filling up the wing holders holes, I figured they would be nice shallow horizontal lateral window : maybe I could have given them a few vertical separations to make it more identifiable.

and I do hand-paint everything, I actually don't know how to do masking. My skills were formed quite a lot of years ago, and after stopping modelling for a while (my more rock'n'roll years) I started again from this state of skills, and never really upgraded them. I like to use basic techniques, it has something refreshing, maybe a bit like punk rock ? ;D

TheChronicOne

Quote from: ericr on September 19, 2016, 12:42:55 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 18, 2016, 03:41:20 PM

yes, instead of filling up the wing holders holes, I figured they would be nice shallow horizontal lateral window : maybe I could have given them a few vertical separations to make it more identifiable.

and I do hand-paint everything, I actually don't know how to do masking. My skills were formed quite a lot of years ago, and after stopping modelling for a while (my more rock'n'roll years) I started again from this state of skills, and never really upgraded them. I like to use basic techniques, it has something refreshing, maybe a bit like punk rock ? ;D

Works for me! And you ain't missin much;  masking is a pain in the back side big time. Free handing it is definitely more refreshing than cursing at tape for an hour.  ;D

It drives me nuts sometimes and even being careful you can still have runs even with good tape. I'm going to spring for some Tamiya narrow stuff that can do curves one of these days but for now I use 3m Scotch  Blue painters which is good stuff but I still haven't mastered using it. I burnish the edges and all that mess and even taken to laying down another paint layer after masking before painting the second color. Still, I have stuff that runs under the tape. I've seen numerous people on modelling forums state that they love it and never had any problems so I tend to think what's wrong is my "technique."

Long story short, plan B is painting by hand and better believe I want to practice that as much as I can!  No telling how long I can tolerate this tape mess then I'll NEED that skill. lol
-Sprues McDuck-

steelpillow

Quote from: ericr on September 18, 2016, 07:34:18 AM

in the same vein of rebuilding, from an aircraft fuselage, a wheeled vehicle that can roam about in deserts and the like :

this is a P-61 (1/48) with the wheels of a VW minibus (1/24) :
it still needs the ladders to climb in, and has a nice large trunk at the bottom (for smuggling?),
as well as an orientable observation turret on top, and shallow horizontal lateral window.

Very nice. It has a convincing air about it and could easily have been created for some special scientific expedition.  :thumbsup:
Cheers.

ericr

ericr

still inspired by this picture I found by chance on the net :

I grabbed a VW bus (1/24) and a "Power Boat" I bought ages ago for cheap, both from Revell

and here is the mix :

at the back there still is an access to the inside of the boat, with two side windows for maneuvering in harbours

TheChronicOne

Hippy Level: 5000

;D ;D

I have to say I'm digging the break up of the primary color here. The chrome, the lights, the interior.... the harbour windows.     ;) ;)

Your detail work is choice, dude.... I'm lookin at the interior.. the double bar rack thingy in the rear ..  the door handles 'n stuff..  The windshield wipers.... 

Looks like a great craft with which to trawl some canals and partake a spliff.   :mellow: :lol:

If I hadn't found this here.... I'd be running TO here to show you all. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Quote from: ericr on September 22, 2016, 07:03:32 PM
at the back there still is an access to the inside of the boat, with two side windows for maneuvering in harbours
It is wonderful to mix "good technical/marketing reasons" with absurdity smile... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]