LCM & sails, red : hybrid aircraft/animals e.a.

Started by ericr, April 21, 2013, 12:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Very nice ! hard to pick a winner out of those 2. The dragon I guess. that's just too fun !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ericr

not quite hybrids, but a nice pair of kits I found lately, of the brand Renwal, of very early aircraft.

They were both composed of a plastic "squeleton" with a kind of fabric to be cut and pasted in order to finish the surfaces.

I chose to keep the Antoinette as a squeleton, because I liked the idea, in blue :

and for the Voisin biplane, my motivation to find and build it came originally from a painting by Robert Delaunay in the 1910s where its simplified geometric shape appeared :

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:L%27%C3%89quipe_de_Cardiff

and I did it in a more Mondrian-esque livery :

jcf

PR19_Kit

Blimey, Renwal kits, that takes me back.

At their time they were very advanced and well moulded too, and the 'fabric' covering was a clever idea, but perhaps a little too clever at the time. It'd be interesting to see if it would sell well again today.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

thanks !

yes, the kits are really refined, and the fabric thing is not too difficult, but might not appeal so much to modellers used to plastic only.

NARSES2

I built a few Renwal kits as a kid. Mainly the armour and artillery they did. Did they do an Atomic canon ? I know I built one and it was huge. I think I attempted one of the biplanes but gave up. I was about 7 or 8 I think
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 24, 2017, 07:16:27 AM

I built a few Renwal kits as a kid. Mainly the armour and artillery they did. Did they do an Atomic canon ? I know I built one and it was huge. I think I attempted one of the biplanes but gave up. I was about 7 or 8 I think

They sure did, and it was HUGE too! IIRC Revell re-popped it not that long ago as well. I still have one of their 'Big Six' SP guns with loads of internal detail up in The Loft.

I built their WWI Bristol F2B with the fabric 'skin' and it looked really good, but I chickened out at the rigging stage. That was a step too far for me back then. I've only ever built one rigged bi-plane and that was my Dad's Audax.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

steelpillow

Quote from: ericr on March 23, 2017, 06:38:29 AM
As I recall, the livery was was not by Mondrian but by Gerrit Rietveld, he of the Riteveld chair and Schröder House. In less whiffy mode I once found myself in Utrecht (from which hailed Dr. Strabismus, whom God preserve) and tracked down the house. It looked lovely, a 3D Mondrian part covered in green climbers. I still have a photo somewhere. Judging by the more recent image on Wikipedia (see link), some ignoramus has since painted it in shades of grey. Sacrilege!

In passing, the tailless Westland-Hill Pterodactyl Mk.I hangs in the Science Museum's flight hall and has one side fabric-covered with the other side just the exposed framework. The aircraft was designed after consulting the tailless aircraft pioneer J W Dunne, who sent Hill a drawing of the wing and, by some accounts, also a small flying model. The poster with the Voisin in it also has a link with Dunne - the Astra company, whose name features even more prominently, built his last and most successful monoplane, the D.7bis. I have just begun preliminary work on a whiff more directly based on Dunne's design for Hill, but as it has to be all of copied from the Museum archive, given a fuselage and scratchbuilt, please don't wait up.

All in all, a wonderful pair of whiffs, thank you ericr.
Cheers.

ericr

Quote from: steelpillow on March 25, 2017, 01:44:58 PM
Quote from: ericr on March 23, 2017, 06:38:29 AM
As I recall, the livery was was not by Mondrian but by Gerrit Rietveld, he of the Riteveld chair and Schröder House. In less whiffy mode I once found myself in Utrecht (from which hailed Dr. Strabismus, whom God preserve) and tracked down the house. It looked lovely, a 3D Mondrian part covered in green climbers. I still have a photo somewhere. Judging by the more recent image on Wikipedia (see link), some ignoramus has since painted it in shades of grey. Sacrilege!

In passing, the tailless Westland-Hill Pterodactyl Mk.I hangs in the Science Museum's flight hall and has one side fabric-covered with the other side just the exposed framework. The aircraft was designed after consulting the tailless aircraft pioneer J W Dunne, who sent Hill a drawing of the wing and, by some accounts, also a small flying model. The poster with the Voisin in it also has a link with Dunne - the Astra company, whose name features even more prominently, built his last and most successful monoplane, the D.7bis. I have just begun preliminary work on a whiff more directly based on Dunne's design for Hill, but as it has to be all of copied from the Museum archive, given a fuselage and scratchbuilt, please don't wait up.

All in all, a wonderful pair of whiffs, thank you ericr.

thanks a lot !

and thanks for your comments : you are right, Mondrian in 3D immediately leads to Rietveld : I saw his house in Utrecht long ago (25 years?), and his armchair is also worth looking at ;-)

Dunne's tailess airplanes are impressive, they would certainly form a beautiful basis for whiffs

ericr

a cross-kit-bash, in 1/43 Heller : a bit sketchy but gives the idea

Tophe

Usually I love planes and dislike cars, but your car mixes are delicious! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

The Citroen bonnet on the Mini rear certainly works well  :thumbsup: The other way around looks like an emergency lash up on one of the very early Dakar rallies  ;) Two teams combined into one after a smash ?

Fantastic work  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ericr

a kitbash, from remains I had from previous projects ... nothing should get lost !  ;D
The Twin Otter is remarkably flexible and adaptable ; and I still have two more in my stash  ...  :o
And the Mi-1 parts were used with a pipe shown earlier in this very same thread.
And the top cockpit from some old Zero-like japanese plane.