LCM & sails, red : hybrid aircraft/animals e.a.

Started by ericr, April 21, 2013, 12:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

It doesn't have an 'Engine Kill Switch', it has an 'Engine CLAP Switch'.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

OMG !! What have you done!
Hilarious! I keep thinking of it running down the runway like Fred Flintstone's car trying to takeoff!!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

steelpillow

Terry Pratchett may have given Discworld the Luggage, but he never gave it Flying Luggage!  :mellow: :thumbsup:
Cheers.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 22, 2020, 06:12:45 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 22, 2020, 05:21:57 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 22, 2020, 04:20:23 AM

Any reason the tail rotor has to be at the back rather than the front?

Then clue's in the name.................   ;D ;)

Beat me to it Kit  ;) Mind you I like the idea of a "Front Rotor"  ;D

I knew i'd get the smart arse reply.  And I guessed it'd be from you two.
;)

The question remains, albeit in a much more long winded form.  Is there any engineering or aerodynamic reason why the small rotor used to oppose the main rotor's torque on a conventional helicopter design has to be at the back?

Happy clappy Tin Goose looks great Eric.   :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 23, 2020, 04:01:17 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 22, 2020, 06:12:45 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 22, 2020, 05:21:57 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 22, 2020, 04:20:23 AM

Any reason the tail rotor has to be at the back rather than the front?

Then clue's in the name.................   ;D ;)

Beat me to it Kit  ;) Mind you I like the idea of a "Front Rotor"  ;D

I knew i'd get the smart arse reply.  And I guessed it'd be from you two.
;)

The question remains, albeit in a much more long winded form.  Is there any engineering or aerodynamic reason why the small rotor used to oppose the main rotor's torque on a conventional helicopter design has to be at the back?

;D ;D ;D ;D Chris and I think remarkably similarly sometimes, perhaps it's something to do with our joint roots in Croydon?

As for anti-torque rotors only at the back, I reckon it's as simple as it would be in the way of vision at the front.

Of course if you had a double-decker fuselage.................. ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I can envisage a design with the anti torque rotor on the end of a boom out to one side with another boom on the opposite side carrying radar.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Tophe

The Gyrodyne had an antitorque rotor which was not at the rear but asymmetrically lateral providing speed at the same time.
But, of course, twin-boom is best. ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: steelpillow on July 23, 2020, 01:33:39 AM
Terry Pratchett may have given Discworld the Luggage, but he never gave it Flying Luggage!  :mellow: :thumbsup:

Beat me to it sir  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

steelpillow

Simple aerodynamic stability in yaw is the reason, just like putting a fin at the back rather than the front. The faster the chopper flies, the more likely the pilot is to find himself suddenly flipped round and facing backwards. More technical diatribes on yawing moments and stability available on (serious!) request. You could put a bigger'n'ever fin at the back to compensate, but I don't want to give Eric ideas. :o
Cheers.

zenrat

Quote from: steelpillow on July 23, 2020, 08:30:28 AM

Simple aerodynamic stability in yaw is the reason, just like putting a fin at the back rather than the front. The faster the chopper flies, the more likely the pilot is to find himself suddenly flipped round and facing backwards. More technical diatribes on yawing moments and stability available on (serious!) request. You could put a bigger'n'ever fin at the back to compensate, but I don't want to give Eric ideas. :o

That makes sense.  Thanks mate.   :thumbsup:
Fred

steelpillow

Cheers.

kerick

Doesn't the boom and such provide the stability after a certain forward speed and the tail rotor loose it's effectiveness? Some helicopters having more of a "fin" than others perhaps depending on forward speed?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise