Survey ship 'Freeman Dyson'

Started by MartG, April 25, 2013, 12:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

Survey ship 'Freeman Dyson'

Following the early attempts at asteroid mining in the 2020s, the industry began to hit its stride in the early 2050s. Competition was fierce, and finding a resource rich asteroid and staking a claim was key to the whole operation. Rather then sending the large, slow, and clumsy mining ships to explore asteroids found by telescope in the hope if striking it rich, mining companies invested in fleets of smaller and faster survey ships to carry out this important task.
   The Jupiter Mining Corporation's 'Freeman Dyson' is a typical vessel of this type. Powered by a nuclear thermal engine, designed to use water as a working fluid, it can refuel itself from ice found in certain types of asteroid to extend its range. Its six man crew is nominally split into two functional areas, flight crew and astrogeologists/planetologists, though usually there is considerable crossover between the two functions.
   A highly efficient recycling system, along with a small 'greenhouse' allows mission durations of up to 18 months, though the addition of extra resource modules can extend this.

Essentially a kitbash of the Lindbergh/Glencoe Retriever Rocket kit, with extra fuel tanks cast in resin, plus a few odds and sods from my spares box and some homemade decals

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Father Ennis

Weaver

Nice one - I've just been thinking about real-ish space things of late too!  :thumbsup:

That engine nozzle and chamber is off a Space 1999 Hawk isn't it?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

MartG

Quote from: Weaver on April 25, 2013, 12:57:16 PM
That engine nozzle and chamber is off a Space 1999 Hawk isn't it?

Well spotted - though it has the bell extension from an Airfix Saturn F-1 engine
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Ed S

"Me likkee!"  Very creative and quite plausible.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Mr.Creak

Nice!
Just keep Rimmer and Lister away from it.
What if... I had a brain?

Cobra

Superb Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: has that Classic 50's/60's Spacecraft Look to it! Almost Think You'd see Something Similar in 'Thunderbirds' or 'Captain Scarlet'! Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

kerick

Good concept, I like it. How about the competitors ships?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

chrisonord

COOL  :ph34r:
I am liking this Mart, this would not look out of place in an episode of UFO, the crew being seized and harvested by the Aliens and the craft sent back to earth as a very large nuclear bomb  :wacko:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

sandiego89

I like this a lot.  I tend to enjoy "realistic" sci-fi and this hits the mark very well.  Niceley done. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA