North American YP-82L Tri-Stang

Started by PR19_Kit, May 02, 2013, 09:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on February 17, 2015, 08:56:57 AM
I suppose there is an alternative version of the YP-82L here the centre undercarriage folds up to the opposite side  :blink:

Yes, that would have been the planned Allison V-1710 engined YP/F-82M, but as the Allison engine was such a dog it never got off the drawing board.  ;)

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 17, 2015, 09:35:01 AM
Ohh, perhaps a long range record breaker.....waiting to see.... 

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.....  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Considering the previous pics looked as smooth as a baby's butt your panel line engraving looks great!
Looking forward to next episode.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Librarian

Quote from: kerick on February 17, 2015, 09:53:12 AM
Considering the previous pics looked as smooth as a baby's butt your panel line engraving looks great!
Looking forward to next episode.

Absolutely agree. Superb job with the NM finish too :thumbsup:.

Captain Canada

Quote from: Gondor on February 17, 2015, 08:56:57 AM
I suppose there is an alternative version of the YP-82L here the centre undercarriage folds up to the opposite side  :blink
Gondor

I think it would depend which hand the pilot was.... :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

She's looking great Kit.  Can't wait...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 17, 2015, 07:24:46 AM
You'll note in the third pic that's it's been given a name, 'Hawaiian Express', and the explanation for that will have to wait till I post the backstory.  ;D

Let me guess?  Japanese take Hawaii?   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on February 18, 2015, 03:36:44 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 17, 2015, 07:24:46 AM
You'll note in the third pic that's it's been given a name, 'Hawaiian Express', and the explanation for that will have to wait till I post the backstory.  ;D

Let me guess?  Japanese take Hawaii?   :thumbsup:

Hehehe. No, but I did re-write the Pacific War some.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The job is DONE!  ;D

And not before time either, considering I started this almost 2 years ago! Today I finished off the cockpits, having to scratchbuild the upper seat backs as the originals had broken off ages ago, and added the radios mounted on the back of them. Then decaled the canopies with the crew names, which are JUST large enough to read, and glued the windscreens and canopies in place. Then the SIX drop tanks (!), various aerials, the props and lastly the landing gear. Trying to get SIX sets of gear all on the ground at once proved to be impossible but the centre tail wheel is only 0.5 mm off. Close enough for Government work.  ;D

I'm just SO glad to get this off the bench, the idea's been in my head for many years, and OGL selling me one of his Monogram kits some years ago got me working on it, but you've all been through the trials and tribulations with me and thanks for all your support. I hope you like the finished product.

The backstory is here :- https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,40172.new.html#new

Front quarter view

And from the other side

The somewhat fearsome nose view, TWELVE 0.5" Brownings pointing at you!

The #2 cockpit

The boss's cockpit

What it's all about, that extra third engine

Underside, note three (or six...) of everything!

Regards
Kit

Librarian

:blink: :blink::wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: ....and well worth the wait. Superb. Congratulations on a masterful creation through what was a difficult build.

Now you need to start on the earlier P-51B version ;D.

sandiego89

A labor of love!  Really well done.  Loved the backstory as well- and I even sort of guessed the special markings with your hint, but not the round trip part! :thumbsup:

Being cooped up in there for 24 hours would have indeed been interesting.   :-\
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Hobbes

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 19, 2015, 02:54:39 AM
That's exactly what I'm using Rick, and it seems OK at the moment, just time consuming.

And I have some templates that are on a SAM rule they put out a while ago Kerick, but I need flat sided oval holes to draw round and they only have curved ones.  :banghead:

Someone did some templates just like that maybe 10-15 yrs. ago and I thought I had some but goodness knows where they are in the chaos that is the PR19 House.

Something like this?

ericr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on February 19, 2015, 12:07:56 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 19, 2015, 02:54:39 AM
That's exactly what I'm using Rick, and it seems OK at the moment, just time consuming.

And I have some templates that are on a SAM rule they put out a while ago Kerick, but I need flat sided oval holes to draw round and they only have curved ones.  :banghead:

Someone did some templates just like that maybe 10-15 yrs. ago and I thought I had some but goodness knows where they are in the chaos that is the PR19 House.

Something like this?

The one I had was NOWHERE near as good as that set Harro! Where did you get them from please?

Those of you with 20:20 vision will note that one of the Aeroproducts decals has fallen off the starboard prop, I only just noticed it had gone so I'll print some up and restore it before Crewe on Sunday.

Even more subtle is that the centre engine has different exhaust stacks to the two outer ones. While trimming one of the resin ones down to size it pinged out from under my steel rule and presumably is now in orbit somewhere. I had to raid an Airfix F-51D kit for its exhaust stacks, which are actually BETTER than the resin ones (!) and trim them down to size in similar fashion.

It makes some sort of sense as the centre fuselage and engine were built a lot later than the rest of the airframe according to the backstory.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Wow...that turned out perfect ! Really like the finish on this one. Great stuff.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?