North American YP-82L Tri-Stang

Started by PR19_Kit, May 02, 2013, 09:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I finally succeeded on finishing the thing and it made its inaugural appearance at the Crewe Show today, much to the amusement of many of its viewers I'm pleased to say.  :thumbsup:

That benighted centre main gear leg is now pinned with 10 amp fuse wire and superglued almost out of existence, it's NOT coming off again!

Parked as it was very near to my F-6H Photo Mustang made me realise I hadn't painted an anti-glare panel on THAT one either!  :banghead: :banghead:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2015, 02:42:19 PM

Parked as it was very near to my F-6H Photo Mustang made me realise I hadn't painted an anti-glare panel on THAT one either!  :banghead: :banghead:

Just to be a pain in the a$$, most silver/natural metal USAF aircraft with two engines and cockpit in the middle had the inner half of the nacelle that faced the cockpit painted with an anti-glare paint too --- I'd say that there needs to be something on the center fuselage too Kit
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Maybe, but I like the contrast between the black and the shiny NMF of the centre fuselage.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Flyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 20, 2015, 01:32:26 AM
Thanks so much, I'm honoured gentlemen.

How about building an R/C version Mr. Flyer? I can send some 3 views drawings if you like?  ;) ;D

Here we are, as detailed as this version it will get, a better full airframe model has been added to my future build list for when I have a workshop again.

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Tophe

:wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
Wow, wonderful Tri-Stang derivative! I love this one too, while I wait for the 'Real" prototype (reco Kit Co. Tri-Stang PR19?) with the same interest as before! or even more!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

That's tremendous Mr. Flyer!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Who'd have thought THAT could happen?  ;D

What span is it please?

Regards
Kit

Flyer

It was a pleasure and a welcome distraction.

Wingspan 665mm, length 330mm.

A larger version is planned for (long, long way in the) future building. I'm thinking 1.5-2M span but more like your model using a scratched full built up structure from foam and balsa wood or possibly modify three ARF Mustangs if I'm feeling lazy about it by then, with 2 electric motors spinning opposite rotating props in the outer fuselage's and another pair spinning contra-props in the centre, flaps and retractable landing gear. :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Tophe

Hoping Kit will find the energy/courage to complete the YP-82L model (against all Gods' will), I present here the missing link between the standard Twin-Mustang and Flyer's great Tri-Stang (thanks again! :thumbsup:)

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on March 12, 2015, 11:46:09 PM
Hoping Kit will find the energy/courage to complete the YP-82L model (against all Gods' will)
Shame on me! I thought the Notify alarm was for Flyer's triStang, while I disvover today above (checking) there was the completed Kit's one! Marvelous! :wub: :wub: :wub:

PR19_Kit

Heavens yes, I finished it at the end of February!  :o

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 20, 2015, 06:50:47 AM
Do I see a RAF Bv 155 lurking in the background...?

Sort of. That's my Martin Baker MB8 Marlin PR1. Model build is here :-

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,30318.0/highlight,mb8.html

The backstory is linked off the model build.

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Looking again at the TriStang (that is always a pleasure  :wub: :wub: :wub: ), I count:
you had 2 Twin-Mustang basis = 4 fuselages+4 external wings+2 central wings+2 tailplanes +4canopies...
you took 3 fuselages+2 external wings+2 central wings+2 tailplanes+2 canopies
so remain: 1 fuselage+2 external wings+(zero central wing and tailplane)+2 canopies...

Let me play with that and propose (soon) a way to marry them into... something (secret, for sure, never seen officially)... :lol:

Tophe

Here is (or will be?) the result, no?  :-\ ;D ;)

PR19_Kit

Not quite.  ;D

Because I increased the span (what a surprise, eh?  ;D) I used chunks of the other two outer wings to extend the original outer wings. This was at the suggestion of JayBee and others who reckoned it would never fly with a whole extra fuselage and the same wing area as a standard P-82. And I'm sure they were right too!

Regards
Kit