North American YP-82L Tri-Stang

Started by PR19_Kit, May 02, 2013, 09:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I spent some time thinking about extending the wings of the Tri-Stang but every idea I came up with involved mucho sawing and filing so yesterday I bit the bullet and got on with it. I'm not sure what Monogram added to their 1970s styrene but whatever it was it's STRONG stuff! It took some hefty effort to saw down the spare outer wing panels and my ancient X-Acto saw was showing signs of distress so I switched to using a Dremel cutting disc. That removed a lot more material and wasn't as accurate but it did work.

I cut the wing spanwise right on the maximum thickness point and then trimmed it to length so that the underwing drop tank points would be equally spaced when glued to the existing wing/fuselages assembly, then filed like crazy so the joint faces were smooth. The front portion was then glued in place with a small 15 thou styrene sub-spar and left to dry. Adding the sawn down rear portion was a right pain as it was too thick of course, but lots of super glue and some clothes pegs made life a bit easier. After that came a mega-PSR session of course, but it doesn't look too bad now so long as you only look at the top....

It'll need a lot more work, especially as I've only done one side, and no Tophe, it's NOT going to stay like that!  ;D

So does that look better JayBee?

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

That looks better :thumbsup:
Seems to be more in proportion now.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Thanks for the approval, looks like I'll have to do the OTHER side now though.  :banghead:

;D ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: TallEng on December 13, 2014, 01:29:20 AM

Regards
Keith

Agreed  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

It'll have a greater span than  B-25 when it's done! I just checked against a B-25H that I've had for ages and it DWARFS the bomber.

Regards
Kit

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

kerick

Quote from: TallEng on December 13, 2014, 01:29:20 AM

Regards
Keith

Naw, its too short now! :wacko:

Just kidding! Carry on! :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

I agree. Looks better now. Seems about the right length to me !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 13, 2014, 05:47:23 AM
It'll have a greater span than  B-25 when it's done! I just checked against a B-25H that I've had for ages and it DWARFS the bomber.

Obviously going to be able to operate up around 50k feet, Kit, with a wing span like that!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KiwiZac

Superb! Only thing is, I want to build one now!!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 13, 2014, 01:26:12 AM
It'll need a lot more work, especially as I've only done one side, and no Tophe, it's NOT going to stay like that!  ;D
This asymmetric Tri-Stang was so wonderful... ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Modelling_Mushi

It looks the part, really ...

... but Tophes right, the asymmetric look is alluring ...

... I wonder ...

GOOD GOD WHEN DID THEY GET A SPELL CHECKER HERE!! ALL MY MISSPELT POSTS AND NOW I SEE IT  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

ericr

Quote from: Tophe on December 14, 2014, 09:07:08 PM

I vote like Tophe!  ;D

(what? is it not a matter of vote?  :rolleyes:)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ericr on December 15, 2014, 10:00:11 AM
Quote from: Tophe on December 14, 2014, 09:07:08 PM

I vote like Tophe!  ;D

(what? is it not a matter of vote?  :rolleyes:)

Sadly for you two, no. It's going to be symmetrical (eventually...) because otherwise the poor pilot would be spending his entire time with the stick hard over to the right trying to hold it level!

But I  could build an asymmetric Mustang with the bits I've got left.  ;D

Regards
Kit