North American YP-82L Tri-Stang

Started by PR19_Kit, May 02, 2013, 09:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan Hartke

By the way, Kit, I should be visiting the restoration project for the original XP-82 this weekend. Anything specific you want me to ask or photograph for you while I am there?

Cheers,

Logan

Captain Canada

Ask them when it's going to fly ! Can't wait to see that one. Hope I'm still around !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

That looks magnificent Logan!

I'm green with envy that you're going to see it, one of my life's fulfilled ambitions was seeing 'Betty Jo' at Dayton some years back.

I can't think of anything I need in particular, except maybe some cockpit interior shots? Thanks for the offer.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I never thought I'd ever come across some aspect of modelling that I hate as much as I do PSR work but I have. :angry:

I DETEST scribing panel lines with a passion, it's the very Devil's work!!!! I've only done the wings and tailplane of the Tri-Stang but it's driving me nuts, and I've no idea how I'm going to do the fuselages.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

People used to use those tape ribbons from the embossing label maker....can't even recall what it was called, or if they are even still around !

:unsure:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Dymo is what they're called in the UK, but when I found that replacement tapes come in packs of three and cost £10 per pack (!) I was dissuaded from buying any.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 18, 2015, 09:51:53 AM
I never thought I'd ever come across some aspect of modelling that I hate as much as I do PSR work but I have. :angry:

I DETEST scribing panel lines with a passion, it's the very Devil's work!!!! I've only done the wings and tailplane of the Tri-Stang but it's driving me nuts, and I've no idea how I'm going to do the fuselages.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Not my favorite part of the operation either Kit, it's something I've not mastered so far
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

Getting an actual straight line from what little I've done seems to be a challenge. Haven't even tried circles yet. There are templates out there but how do you get the silly stuff from sliding around? I have some Dymo tape and it helps for straight lines as it is adhesive enough to stick in place. Circles and other shapes, I don't know.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

What about using 20 thou card, held on with double-sided sellotape?

Great work there, you're a braver man than me.

Cheers

Rick

PR19_Kit

That's exactly what I'm using Rick, and it seems OK at the moment, just time consuming.

And I have some templates that are on a SAM rule they put out a while ago Kerick, but I need flat sided oval holes to draw round and they only have curved ones.  :banghead:

Someone did some templates just like that maybe 10-15 yrs. ago and I thought I had some but goodness knows where they are in the chaos that is the PR19 House.

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

I picked up what I think is a draftsman's erasing shield (is that the correct name?) once; there are a variety of curves and other shapes on that - like you, though, don't ask me to find it in a hurry!

I understand there is the old-school French Curves tool out there; but whether it's still available, and at a reasonable price, is another question...

Cheers

martinbayer

At least for straight lines, how about getting a cheap tape measure and using the thin steel band (after cutting it into more or less long pieces for easier handling)?

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

PR19_Kit

That works too Martin, holding the tools in place on that crazy shape is a different problem however.

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Dymo ! That's the stuff. I like the idea of using a cheap tape measure. It could be cut into various lengths and clean up/ tape up the ends as to not cut oneself. Might try that some day myself !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 19, 2015, 09:09:07 AM
I understand there is the old-school French Curves tool out there; but whether it's still available, and at a reasonable price, is another question...

Cheers

Had one of those at school. No idea what for ? The plastic ones are still available in stationers in the UK. Tend to be with the compasses and set squares for younger kids
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.