North American YP-82L Tri-Stang

Started by PR19_Kit, May 02, 2013, 09:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Another option instead of Dymo tape is a soft steel ruler, preferably one that is extendable. I have a small (maybe 1" diameter, actually a key chain... :rolleyes:) specimen that's ultra soft and also very narrow, just 5mm broad. Something like these...

Works well on wings and fuselages, but it lacks the Dymo's tackiness that comes in handy.

martinbayer

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 20, 2015, 08:39:21 AM
Another option instead of Dymo tape is a soft steel ruler, preferably one that is extendable. I have a small (maybe 1" diameter, actually a key chain... :rolleyes:) specimen that's ultra soft and also very narrow, just 5mm broad. Something like these...

Works well on wings and fuselages, but it lacks the Dymo's tackiness that comes in handy.

Dizzy,

that's exactly what I was referring to above.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

martinbayer

No worries - great minds think alike ;D!

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

PR19_Kit

After doing all the wing and tail panel lines, and what a PAIN that was, I wanted to give the thing a few more coats of paint. En route up the ladder to The Loft, my rattle can spraying area, I dropped the model and one of the resin engines snapped off!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Luckily it's a pretty clean break and I've re-glued it back in place, but that area will need sanding, a little PSR and yet MORE painting before I can get back to the panel line scribing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Bad news....but good news! I'm relieved it wasn't worse!!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Tophe

This will still increase the value of the finished thing (done against the whole world!). We support you in these troubles! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

I have a set of photo etched steel stencils which have circles, squares, ovals and rectangles with & without rounded corners.
Possibly made by Hasegawa.
I also have a set of french curves which are useless for scribing panel lines as they are too big and bulky and stiff.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

After DAYS of scribing I've finally finished the panel lines on the Tri-Stang and what a swine of a job it was too.  :angry:

Doing Anything on the centre fuselage was a nightmare as the other two kept getting in the way. None of the six sides are the same as each other, but I've had enough of it anyway, so what you see is what you get.

To make matters worse when I slid it onto it's coat hanger paint stand to re-paint it the #1 engine broke off AGAIN!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

So it's gluing yet again and I'll re-paint it later today.

In the meanwhile I've been working on the decals and they're done, plus I've got a few other projects under way too......  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 16, 2015, 09:24:35 AM
To make matters worse when I slid it onto it's coat hanger paint stand to re-paint it the #1 engine broke off AGAIN!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Poor Kit, finishing this one will be a triple victory (Victory-Victory-Victory Day!!!) :-\
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

It's back on again now.  :thumbsup:

And I'm part way through the detail painting and should have some decals on by the end of the day.  :cheers: :party:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

LOTS of progress today, all the panel painting is done and the initial decals are on, together with one, just one, of the resin exhaust  mouldings. They're a real bitch to fit as you have to cut them in half lengthwise (!) or they stick out too far, and then they're so small it's difficult to grab hold of them.  :banghead:

You'll note in the third pic that's it's been given a name, 'Hawaiian Express', and the explanation for that will have to wait till I post the backstory.  ;D

More decals to go on later today and the other five exhausts too......

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Lovely. Always nice to see a model progressing, especially one that's been giving you grief most of the way !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

I suppose there is an alternative version of the YP-82L here the centre undercarriage folds up to the opposite side  :blink:

Looks great so far Kit  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 17, 2015, 07:24:46 AM

You'll note in the third pic that's it's been given a name, 'Hawaiian Express', and the explanation for that will have to wait till I post the backstory.  ;D

Ohh, perhaps a long range record breaker.....waiting to see....

Looks great. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA