The Grumman Sabrecat

Started by PR19_Kit, May 02, 2013, 10:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I've built a couple of the Monogram kits way back, and did one as pylon racer which needed the taller fin of the -2 model. It was pretty easy to do that, especially compared with the myriad other changes I had to make to the airframe!.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Any progress here? I am currently doing finishing touches to my current BSG Viper Mk. II build, the Sabrecat is probably next.  ;D

PR19_Kit

Not for a week as I've been away in France seeing my brother, but I'll be back in the Model Room this evening.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I've started writing up a background story, as a parallel development of the Sabrecat to the USN Bearcat - only about 50 were built of both Mk. I and Mk. II types, and only used by the FAA in the final months of war in the Pacific theatre...  ;)

The Wooksta!

It may have been easier to use the spare Sabre from the Matchbox Tempest kit...

Not too keen on the beard radiator* - they were there on the Tempest as the Air Min didn't like the leading edge radiators, the Tempest V could use a Typhoon 'power egg' and the Sabre for the Tempest I was behind schedule.  I would have went for the leading edge radiators and smooth cowl of the Sabre Fury for aerodynamic cleanliness.  

How about a RR Eagle Bearcat instead?

I've a Tempest II that'll be getting a Sea Fury prop at some stage too.

*Then again, I've never been a fan of the "take cowling from Aircraft A and fit to Aircraft B" approach, mainly because different companies always have a different take on how to cowl an aircraft engine - look at the myriad different cowls for Merlins.  And I don't subscribe to the "It's whiff world" answer either.  That's just a cop out for laziness.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 29, 2013, 06:52:51 AM
That's just a cop out for laziness.

Er, no........

Read the original post again. My model is a 3D representation of one of Sturmvogel's profiles, crossed with the colour scheme from one of Spinners' 'Strike Fighters' repaints, so THAT'S why it's like it is.

And mating the Sabre cowling to the Bearcat fuselage is anything BUT zn easy solution, it was a lot of hard work packing and puttying and patching, and still is!

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Good news: mine is already nearing completion! After initial trouble with the Art Model Bearcat (the resin parts did not really fit, took a lot of work) things went REALLY fast - the kit stands on its own legs right now, and paint is drying...  :ph34r:

What confuses me is that I did not need to widen the Matchbox Sabre front part. I considered it at some time, but finally used the OOB parts and putty to fit the pieces together - less complicated than my Australian Griffon Corsair.

Pleasant result, and the Temperate Sea Scheme suits the lil' bug very well  ;D

As a side comment: where's laziness here? Kit and I are paying tribute to another whiffer's idea - I'd rather suggest that taking an OOB kit and just change pant and decals might be calles "laziness", but even this might not count. It's about the idea, neither rivet-counting or spending months in the basement to tinker together something. Just "using" an engine might look simple or trivial, but realising this (or just having the idea and a potential why behind it) is nothing to be looked down upon.

Pics to come when the kit is through, as well as "my" story about this compact fighter. I am currently in a bottleneck situation with new model photos...  :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

It looks like the Matchbox/Heller/Frog/Art Model quad cound't make their minds up how wide the Tempest and Bearcat were between them.

I managed to pick the two with the greatest difference and you got the closest pair.  ;D :lol:

I'm STILL applying putty by the pound, and then sanding it off again........  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

More or less finished the kit today in the morning, just missing external ordnance (probably two bombs and four British unguided rockets).

Well, it could be that I somehow "narrowed" the Art Model kit's forward fuselage, because the parts tended to overlap there. The kit misses any "nuts and bolts" that help fixing the fuselage halves, and the wings (these are one part, including the lower fuselage) push the fuselage halves together rather strongly, maybe that was/is the reason?

Looks lovely, it also got some white ID stripes on the wings and tail surfaces, as well as a white spinner, very unique. At first glance you think Tempest, but then... the tail is too short and tall, the landing gear too high. The Sabre engine is very characteristic and "misguiding", but the overall aircraft does not look as head-heavy as I expected. Reminds me of some Boulton-Paul high performance fighter designs from WWII, but these had radial engines, IIRC.

Looking forward to your build, Kit!

Father Ennis

We want pictures ... !!!    We want pictures ... !!!   We want pictures ... !!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Father Ennis on June 03, 2013, 03:41:11 PM

You wouldn't like ones of mine at the moment......

With all the PSR work I've decided to remove all the raised 'panel lines' as most of them will vanish under the wet-and-dry assault that I've been visiting on the airframe. It looks decidedly odd at the moment but it's getting there.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I wonder, has anybody put a Centaurus on the front of a Bearcat?

Or what about a late model Hercules?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sturmvogel

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 03, 2013, 04:06:01 PM
Quote from: Father Ennis on June 03, 2013, 03:41:11 PM

You wouldn't like ones of mine at the moment......

With all the PSR work I've decided to remove all the raised 'panel lines' as most of them will vanish under the wet-and-dry assault that I've been visiting on the airframe. It looks decidedly odd at the moment but it's getting there.

Any photos are better than none, but if you don't want to add any that's fine.
"Helos don't fly, they vibrate so hard the ground rejects them." -Tom Clancy

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

PR19_Kit

That looks TERRIFIC Thomas!  :thumbsup: :bow:

That 'big chin' look is just how I hope mine will turn outbut in a totally different colour scheme.

Yours has the taller -2 fin as well, doesn't it? I'm going to stick with the MONSTER 4 bladed prop from the Tempest for mine, and I reckon that will make mine a Sabrecat Mk. I. They obviously had yaw stability problems with the Mk Is, thus the taller fin and smaller side area prop on the Mk IIs.......  ;)

Regards
Kit