Four For Telford?

Started by Gondor, May 09, 2013, 02:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 08, 2013, 12:59:22 PM

Gondor, check out this, everything you need I think but remember it is for a 1/72 scale one:

http://www.aim72.co.uk/DC-10-30-BCal-inst-initial%20issue-A5-A.pdf

Oh WoW  :o

That would be one hell of a big kit!

Lots of useful information, not sure if any will be used in the AEW build though.

Thanks kitnut617

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Thought I would post some progress shots of the BAC 1-11

Now some more detailed shots

I was not 100% sure that the fuselage mounts for the engines were not suffering from slight depressions so I have applied modellers valium, "filler", to sort out that problem. Research on the web this morning provided a link to a build on the Airfix Tribute Forum which said the nose was not quite correct so I have applied some filler to that as well to make it more pointy.
The last picture shows the exhausts for the engines. The upper parts are still on their sprue while the ring below them is one of the exhausts from this build which I have drilled and filed to a more pleasing likeness.
Not sure if I am simply starting to get more anal about problems and details with this build because I am getting scared of finishing it. I want this one to be really good and am probably worried that it will not be. I suppose I will find out how well its going when I get to applying a primer coat to it.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

Airfix did the same thing on all their tail engine airliners, the 1-11, Trident, DC9, VC10 and 727.

They split the engine pylons along their centreline thus leaving the modeller with a BITCH of a problem in trying to smooth off the inevitable joint line. How much better if they had moulded the pylons in with the engines, then they would have been accessible and easier to fit too.

I did one 727 by sawing the half pylon from the fuselage and gluing it to the engine half, then filing and PSR-ing it. Then glued the whole lot back in one piece, and that worked OK, but it's a  fiddle. Best not to clean up the sawn joint as it locates nicely when it's time to re-attach them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 15, 2013, 08:57:41 AM
Airfix did the same thing on all their tail engine airliners, the 1-11, Trident, DC9, VC10 and 727.

They split the engine pylons along their centreline thus leaving the modeller with a BITCH of a problem in trying to smooth off the inevitable joint line. How much better if they had moulded the pylons in with the engines, then they would have been accessible and easier to fit too.

I did one 727 by sawing the half pylon from the fuselage and gluing it to the engine half, then filing and PSR-ing it. Then glued the whole lot back in one piece, and that worked OK, but it's a  fiddle. Best not to clean up the sawn joint as it locates nicely when it's time to re-attach them.

I see what you mean kit as I have just done a dry fitting of the engines to work out which one went on which side. Next job on the list if things to do to the 1-11 is to get the front and the rear of the engines ready for painting. Then I can glue the engines, once the painting is masked, into place and I can then think about filling in the gaps around the engines prior to priming. I can also build the stand for the aircraft about the same time.
Meanwhile the 146 is waiting for me to make use of my enlarged copies of the drawings from the Admiralty book which came out at a useful 1/288, at least as far as I can tell. This should make building the saddle tank a lot easier with half scale drawings to go with. The front of the engines have some ejector pin marks filled and are awaiting attention as well.

Gondor

Gondor

Although I have to finish the front of the engines prior to attaching them, I decided to apply a coat of primer to the BAC 1-11. Only problem was that when I looked at the aircraft prior to adding some wire to hold the aircraft by while painting it, I found some small areas that needed filling. So its out with the filler before I even prime the kit! Maybe later today I will manage to prime this one and if so a picture or two will be posted.

Gondor

P.S. Its looking as if I should change the topic to Two for Telford as that's about all I might manage  :banghead:

Gondor

Some progress shots, unfortunately not as far as I had hoped for today  :banghead:

Almost finished building as you can see. The wire visible is a temporary stand for when I apply the primer coat. It was shortly after taking these pictures that I realised I had forgotten something  :banghead:

Wing Fences!

They need trimming to shape but they are there now.

Not sure I have the nose profile right or not. Unless someone can definitively say otherwise I will go with what I have.

More during the week hopefully.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

The pointy nose looks pretty good to me Alastair, see piccie of the real thing below. Perhaps just a tad more rounded on the tip?

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Thanks Kit  :thumbsup:

I will adjust to suit

Gondor

Gondor

A small update but still progress.

In the above image I have adjusted the nose profile and adjusted the profile of the wing fences.

I admit they may not be 100% correct but with not much to go on and with working in 1/144 when used to 1/72 its about the best your going to get!

I know the photograph of the nose is blurred, but at the moment its the best that I have.

Engines from now on then fixing them to the fuselage, a bit of a clean again before priming which will hopefully finish off the month.

Not been thinking about the paint scheme much, probably will go with Hemp over Grey with Red/Blue roundels as I have some in stock in the right scale. No idea for squadron markings or serial letters  :-\

Gondor

PR19_Kit

The nose and wing fences look pretty good to me Alastair, the fences on real 1-11s are like barn doors!

Regards
Kit

Gondor

That defiantly settles that then, as I truest Kit on this kind of thing. No more airframe work until I add the engines to the fuselage.

Anyone got any ideas for which squadron to have operating her or perhaps I should just go for basic camouflage and say she is a display model found in the back of a cupboard somewhere at Weybridge.

Gondor

Gondor

Looks as if there will only be one ready for Telford after all. However I am setting a target of the Scottish Nationals for the other three.

So I have done a little re-profiling of the engine intake lips and then glued the engines onto the fuselage. Super-glue will be used as a filler and to strengthen the joint as the aircraft will be supported from the engines when that part is built. With luck the primer should be on by the weekend.

Still got to think about the colour scheme and codes etc.

Gondor

Gondor

I had tried to strengthen the joint between the engines and the fuselage with super-glue due to this being the load bearing part of the kit when it is on its stand. Unfortunately the super-glue appears to have "crystallised" or something like that as if did not dry to a smooth surface. This is delaying my getting the kit primed but only by a day or so.

Gondor

Gondor

Almost on the home straight. Going to give the BAC 1-11 its primer coat on Sunday if the weather is fairly decent followed a day or two later by the Hemp overcoat it will have. I should finish it just in time for Glasgow next weekend  :drink:

Gondor

Gondor

Here is the BAE 1-11 in its coat of primer.

And three more pictures with the paint stand modified for a different position of the aircraft.

and finally....

I can't make up my mind about the angle to have the aircraft at. Nice and level or at a rakish angle to show off the radome?

Have found a few areas that need a little work, the crew door, a window on the starboard side and a little work on the main undercarriage door area which was filler as the doors didn't fit!

Gondor