Four For Telford?

Started by Gondor, May 09, 2013, 02:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

As promised earlier today.. Pictures  :party:

Nothing fantastic but something at least  :lol:

This picture shows the undercarriage bays and the nose weight in place as well as the blanking plate behind the windows.

This picture shows all the components that I have worked on dry fitted together. I will probably glue them together later today after the Grand Prix.

Next step will be glueing the fuselage half's together then filling in the windows and building the saddle tank. Think I need to build the base for the radome to make sure it will fit in place along with the saddle tank.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

You'll become an airliner modeller if you're not careful Alastair.  ;D

You're right though, that Revell BAe 146 is a little jewel, at least the later ones are. The early versions had the engines moulded too narrow and they re-jigged the tooling for the later versions. The TNT one is a later one you'll be pleased to hear.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Oh heavens I hope not Kit. I know a lot of my builds and ideas use civil subjects as a basis but then the subject matter uses civil aircraft as a basic for AEW, MPA ad battle field surveillance in real life anyway  :blink:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Two more pictures of progress, the first taken yesterday and the second this morning.

Fuselage being glued together

Cockpit glazing installed and the wings in place using friction only.

Next will be to get the filler out after masking the area around the windows in an attempt to reduce the amount of PSR.

Gondor

kitbasher

A whif flight of fancy I've had on and off recently (and may yet commit cash to plastic and put it under the knife) is to combine two 146s Zwilling-style (minus the extra engines of course), and add a 1/100 Mirage (suitably modded) to make a Ryanair equivalent of Virgin Galactic's Spaceship 1/2 combo.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on May 13, 2013, 06:31:04 AM
A whif flight of fancy I've had on and off recently (and may yet commit cash to plastic and put it under the knife) is to combine two 146s Zwilling-style (minus the extra engines of course), and add a 1/100 Mirage (suitably modded) to make a Ryanair equivalent of Virgin Galactic's Spaceship 1/2 combo.

Do I like the sound of THAT!  ;D :thumbsup: :bow:

Pleeeeease do it!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Progress at least on two builds. One for the Project cancelled build and the other for What if.

First the Project cancelled build: The BAe 146 had its windows filled and have now been sanded flush only to find that some remedial work needs to be carried out. No real problem there at this stage.

For the What If:  The E-10 AWACS, not the E-10 Panzer, has had the fuselage parts removed from their sprue's and the "glass" installed into one fuselage half ready for filler at a later date. I need to think about cutting the fin off and removing the engine from the fin prior to extending the hight of the fin a bit further than I had done so for the MPA I have stalled on the production line.

Gondor

Gondor

Latest pictorial update on the two in progress builds.

First the BAe 146....

The cabin windows have had their second round of PSR started and the cockpit glazeing has had it's first aplication of filler.

Second picture today is the E-10

Oppps sorry ..... wrong E-10

This is the right one....

Putty/filler applied to the port side window appatures. I have also added the "glazeing" to the starboard side of the fuselage so tomorrow at the earliest I will have added putty/filler to that side as well!

Lots of sanding in my future   :-\

Gondor

Mossie

Looking forward to seeing all these, I think that E-10 is going a little different, especially with four engines.

With the tank, stick wings and a radome on it and swap it on the display when Thorvic isn't looking, I'm sure he'll never notice! ;)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Gondor

Another possibility for the E-10 has arisen after reading "The Air Staff and AEW". Based on the BAe.847 which has not only the FASS but a Canoe beneath the fuselage as well  Blink

Not a DC-10 is quite a large aircraft so I am thinking that it could manage to have both the AWACS rotodome and the JSTARS canoe as well as being able to accommodate all the personnel required to operate both. Would not only save the whif USAF money but me as well as I would not need to buy another DC-10 and engines to go with it  Thumbs Up

Of course I am still entitled to change my mind or come up with something completely different instead  Grin

Gondor

Gondor

Due to unforeseen events I will be unable to attend Telford this year unless I win a few hundred on the lottery. There had been a burst water pipe in my hall which has lead to the hall carpet needing replaced and the whole hall redecorated! I still intend to finish my builds for Telford but now I have to finish them for Glasgow this year with the hope that someone will be kind enough to look after them for Telford and any other show they may wish to take them to before returning them to me at Perth and the Scottish Nationals next year.

Volunteers OGL, JayBee or anyone else?

Gondor

NARSES2

Oh "booger" Alistair, really sorry to hear that
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Finished adding filler to all the windows of the DC-10's I have so I can , when I get around to it/decorating permitting, do some PSR work which will hopefully allow me to actually DO something!

Gondor

Gondor

Amazingly my work bench looks roughly the same as the last picture with small amounts of movement on it although progress has been made  :thumbsup:

Windows are filled in and sanded back on the 146, even more windows are filled in and sanded back which shows the need for more filler on the AEW-DC-10 and that is now rudderless!

I have decided to use a different method of making sure that the tail-fin will fit into the fuselage of the AEW-DC-10 which is a variation on the method I am using for my MPA-DC-10. Rather than having the tubing held vertically by packing pieces of plastic either side of them, this time I have a section of plastic card that I have drilled a pair of holes which will be used to locate the tubing and also provide a base for any filler required at the join between fuselage and fin. It will be easier to understand when you see the pictures later this week.

I also stuck together two forward fuselages completely unrelated to this build  ;D

Gondor

Gondor

Another week gone and still no massive steps forward. I am trying to make sure that I manage to get the finish right on the surface of both the BAC 1-11 and the BAE 146. Saying that, there is still a saddle tank to be made on the 146 so the smooth finish may end up out the proverbial window  :blink: I could though make the build of the development aircraft that didn't have the saddle tank and was not carrier capable which would get around having to do some of the work.

So not much work done recently with these builds although I am hopeful of finishing two of them in time for Glasgow, maybe three if things go well. I could probably finish all four although at least one of them would be rather scrappy.

So far with the BAC 1-11, the method of attaching the radome to the underside of the fuselage has been resolved as is the method of displaying the aircraft although the metal rod I am using may need to be replaced as I am not sure it will be up to the job.

The AEW DC-10 still has windows to be rubbed down, but then there are a lot of windows on the DC-10. I should get a move on with the fin while working on the windows so that a lot of components can come together at the same time, but then I only have one pair of hands. Hopefully some positive progress for next week.

Gondor