SR-71 replacement

Started by kerick, May 13, 2013, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

While my true position is that there is no replacement for the Blackbird, I was thinking about what could take over its mission today. What of a lengthened F-22 with more room for fuel and sensors. I was thinking of one fuselage extension behind the cockpit and another one after the wings.
It doesn't have to be as maneuverable as a regular F-22 but must have superior speed and range. An article I read said the F-22 is faster than present fighters and reaches a higher altitude. Apparently the exact figures are still classified. With stealth abilities far better than the Blackbird this could provide a fast response recce aircraft for today's hot spots. Or at least a nice whiff project.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

RAFF-35

Oooh, that sounds like a great idea, I'd never even considered the f-22 as a blackbird replacement..... Did you have any new names in mind for this project?
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

darthspud

How about
Project Oracle?

or

Project unobtanium?
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

jsport

An F-22 w/ large swing wings maybe a combo w/Lockheed's Persistor concept.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,191.300.html

PS: hope the Blackhawk is going along. :thumbsup:

martinbayer

Perhaps something along the lines of the FB-23?

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

kerick

I had read something a long time ago about a strike version of an F-22 or F-23. The idea was a larger fuselage with more internal weapons space and using the small diameter bomb with a JDAM kit. If I take the same idea and load recon assets instead it could be useful. At least that's the idea. Maybe not totally realistic but an interesting whiff.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

albeback

Quote from: kerick on May 13, 2013, 05:16:22 PM
While my true position is that there is no replacement for the Blackbird, I was thinking about what could take over its mission today. What of a lengthened F-22 with more room for fuel and sensors. I was thinking of one fuselage extension behind the cockpit and another one after the wings.
It doesn't have to be as maneuverable as a regular F-22 but must have superior speed and range. An article I read said the F-22 is faster than present fighters and reaches a higher altitude. Apparently the exact figures are still classified. With stealth abilities far better than the Blackbird this could provide a fast response recce aircraft for today's hot spots. Or at least a nice whiff project.

How about this ?
I think it might be do-able using the Italeri 1/48 SR-71. The profile is clearly based on the YF-12 but, why quibble over mere details!! <_<
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

sandiego89

I also vote F-23, apparantly it was faster and had better stealth than the F-22, and perhaps in hindsight may have been the better choice.  There are some rumors that a version did survive in the black world.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kerick on May 14, 2013, 12:45:48 PM
I had read something a long time ago about a strike version of an F-22 or F-23. The idea was a larger fuselage with more internal weapons space and using the small diameter bomb with a JDAM kit. If I take the same idea and load recon assets instead it could be useful. At least that's the idea. Maybe not totally realistic but an interesting whiff.

The FB-22, a two-seater in the FB-111 class. AFAIK, an F-22 with a lengthened fuselage, a bigger bomb bay and overall a tailless redesign - even without a vertical fin, due to VT nozzles.

kerick

I was just checking out the F-23 on the net. It does look more bad a$$ then the F-22. I think it would lend it self better to the lengthened fuselage as well. Another project :rolleyes:
Tophe the Wise

McColm

I'm still working on how to use a B-58 and F-117 combination, I'm basing my idea on the Convair Kingfish concept.

kerick

Quote from: McColm on June 16, 2013, 11:20:21 PM
I'm still working on how to use a B-58 and F-117 combination, I'm basing my idea on the Convair Kingfish concept.
That would be an interesting kitbash.
Tophe the Wise

McColm

I thought of using the B-58 as a base and using the air intakes from the F-117 mounted on the upper part of the delta wing, but due to the odd design of the upper fuselage of the F-117 the engine exhaust may need to be cut and re-positioned or deleted and a single/twin exhaust inserted where the tail gun sits.

Convair did propose a C version using the engines from the SR-71.

A modified version of the Mirage IVA with a chine running from the nose to the rear. If it was possible to move the air intakes and place them behind the cockpit or scratch build them to look like those of the B-2 bomber or the Revell F-19 and add a second tail fin.

kerick

Sounds like you have a plan worked out. I say go for it.
Tophe the Wise

McColm