DT 31 Krakan

Started by Ed S, May 14, 2013, 06:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

Developed by Valmet in the early 50's to meet a Finnish naval requirement for a long range, high speed torpedo bomber, the DT 31 Kraken was the first WIG (wing in  ground effect) to enter production. They served with all of the nations of the Pan Baltic Federation and were a common sight patrolling the North Sea supporting the Norwegian oil fields. They were also a export success.  One of the biggest users was the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They were insturmental in breaking the Russian Imperial fleet in the Black Sea. The Krakens were responsible for sinking more Russian ships than any other asset, including the superbattleship Czar Nikolas III.It was at the begining of one battle that Admiral Baron Van Klingersbergermuellersohn issued his famous command "Release the Krakens."

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Ed S

This is a little something I whipped up for the Floaty Things group build over on BTS. I started with a old Monogram Do 17 and a set of floats from the spares box.  The engine pods are from some F-100 fuel tanks. A little creative PSR and I ended up with a WIG jet powered torpedo bomber.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

PR19_Kit

That is ASTONISHING Ed!  :thumbsup: :bow:

I still can't see where the Do17 bits are on the complete Kraken, but the whole thing is quita amazing, a brillant job there.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Wonderfull build  :thumbsup:

I've now got visions of the old European Imperial dynasties flourishing still  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Wwaaaahhhh?!?!
Looks like it could hop over small islands too. Now I'm curious about the Pan-Baltic Federation. You mention "all of the nations of the Pan Baltic Federation". Did the nations use distinct insignia, or did they all go for roundels that look distinctly Finnish?

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 14, 2013, 06:22:19 AM
That is ASTONISHING Ed!  :thumbsup: :bow:

I still can't see where the Do17 bits are on the complete Kraken, but the whole thing is quita amazing, a brillant job there.

I concur with my honourable college's assessment!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

deathjester

Wonderful work!  Almost looks like a refugee from a Games Workshop endeavour...!  :thumbsup:

lancer

This is seriously impresive work..Bloody well done
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

chrisonord

That is absolutely brilliant Ed, I am really liking this  :wub:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Rat

Once again, I've been well and truly gobsmacked.  :blink: :bow:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Mondria

well done, excellent build
Greetings Mondria
-------------------------------------------
some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/

Army of One

What a spanking build...!!! Awesome stuff.....!! My only point is...more torpedo's.....my opinion....doesn't take it away that it is a great build......!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

I like that Ed, great kit bash.  Has a sci-fi feel, could be from a console game.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.