Resin Models Paint Stripping

Started by Tojo633, May 19, 2013, 05:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tojo633

All
Just a question, having used Mr Muscle oven cleaner and Fairy power spray to strip paint from plastic models.
Can these products be used on cast resin models?? I want to know if these are ok to use or is there another product that could or should be used? or has anyone had any issues with using MM or Powerspray?
Cheers
Sandy

The Wooksta!

Yes.  FPS won't affect resin at all. I've used it several times on resin kits with no adverse affects at all.  Cleaned off paint and Halfords primer too, right back to the resin.

Powerspray wont go under decals, so best to take them off with masking tape.  Those areas affected will need a dose or two more. 

Oddly, it does affect filler - at least the Humbrol and Revell ones.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

I've had reasonable success getting old decals off with paint using FPS.  Mostly 100% off, sometines less.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

The water when you wash it off generally does that, but leaves the paint underneath the decals so you need to give it another bash.  Best to whip them off with masking tape before hitting the model with FPS.

Modelstrip would go under decals, usually.  Possibly some chemical reaction going through the paint.  However, Modelstrip is useless against acrylics which FPS simply blitzes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Tojo633

Father Ennis

Great idea !!!   I've been looking for something to use on resin kits. Just one or two questions. First what is FPS ?  Second,can I get it or something similar here in the US of A ??????

Rheged

Quote from: Father Ennis on May 19, 2013, 02:10:24 PM
Great idea !!!   I've been looking for something to use on resin kits. Just one or two questions. First what is FPS ?  Second,can I get it or something similar here in the US of A ??????

F P S  Fairy Power Spray. A UK produced oven?? cleaner.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Father Ennis

Thanks, does anybody know of a similar product available in the US ?

phoenix54

Hi Father,
the Fairy brand name is owned by Proctor and Gamble, have a look here:- http://www.fairy-dish.co.uk/uk/fairy/product
quite possible that it's available in the U.S. under a different name.

H.T.H.
Quote...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded

For my lifes love, Angie Connor
10/02/1961 - 11/11/2002
I'll never forget

Father Ennis

PR19_Kit

Massive 3 yr bump here.

One of my railway modelling buddies said he'd heard that Dettol made a good paint stripper, so he tried it and IT WORKS!  :thumbsup:

He dunked an N gauge wagon into a small bowl of Dettol for 24 hrs and the paint just fell off. The model smelt a bit strange afterward but it was VERY healthy of course.  ;D

I think I'll give it a try and report back.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Don't use brake fluid on resin parts.  It turns them into a jelly like mess.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on October 05, 2016, 02:53:40 AM

Do you speak from experience, or has this catastrophe merely  happened to a colleague?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

Just be careful with Dettol if you have cats in the house. It's very toxic for them because of the phenol that is the stuff's chemical basis.

Thank you for the tip, though - so far I am a fan of foam oven cleaners (I prefer K2r brand from the USA) - slow, but not as messy as brake fluid and much less aggressive. Gotta check if I can get hold a bottle of Dettol.

zenrat

Quote from: Rheged on October 05, 2016, 03:17:04 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 05, 2016, 02:53:40 AM

Do you speak from experience, or has this catastrophe merely  happened to a colleague?

I have seen pictures on another forum.  A resin car body was turned into a blob.  It wan't a pretty sight.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..