1:72 APC (Armored Personnel Carrier) - Scratch-built, for Aliens Dropship

Started by Dizzyfugu, May 22, 2013, 12:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

This SF vehicle has no real/true media paradigm - it was actually spawned as a landing vehicle for a Dropship model from Aliens, the utterly horrible kit from Halcyon. That kit was/is a joke - it features a (crappy) bay with a ramp that can be built in a half-lowered position - but there is NO space to carry anything inside, the hull is actually closed!
Consequently, there's NO inside at all... You had/have to scratch anything, what I did maybe 25 years ago - the APC kit was to be positioned in the opened landing bay, fit into the internal storage space of the Dropship and low enough to be actually able to roll out, under the Dropship's chin.

Anyway, the Halycon Dropship is (righteously) long gone (even though its ruins remain in the basement), but the self-made APC that did actually fit into the opened bay survives to this day. And I was surprised that I never took any pics of it? O.K., it's not really spectacular... but here we go. ^^

1:72 APC (Armored Personnel Carrier) - Scratch-built/kit conversion by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 APC (Armored Personnel Carrier) - Scratch-built/kit conversion by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

What you see here actually is a highly modified Jagdpanzer IV/L70 from ESCI. Its tracks were replaced with four axis' and eight wheels (these come from the mobile platform cranes from the vintage Imai Macross Factory!). The hull was lowered on the sides, between the wheels, to allow a door on each side for access. Were once was the gun barbette, a flipped-over Bf 109 windscreen allows the driver some view. Beyond that, some surface details were added from the spares box.

Finally, it was painted in a simple overall olive drab, with some dry painting and weathering - plus some real dust of maybe 20 years on display  ;D.

Nothing fancy, but it actually looks pretty futuristic, despite its WWII genes?

cataphractarius

Honestly?

It doesn't look Sci-Fi at all to me - it looks like a perfectly plausible vehicle! My first reaction was "hey, on which 8-wheeler is this based?" until I read the bit about the Jagdpanzer. It looks utterly believable - absolutely fantastic! 

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hmmmm, I have some Jagdpanzers of Ye Olde Matchboxe Compagny lying around somewhere. Now there is an idea....
The most dangerous thing in the combat zone is an officer with a map.

Mossie

I'd go with Cat, it doesn't look overtly sci-fi and that's in keeping with the style of equipment seen in Aliens.  This one looks like it could be a predecessor to the one in the movie, more archaic looking, being replaced by the newer version.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

That's a great little piece of work!  :thumbsup:

I twigged the Jagdpanzer, but the cockpit canopy had me stumped: great bit of sparesboxology there.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Just for clarification: this vehicle was not supposed to look 100% like the Aliens APC - that is pretty different. But at its time there was no 1:72 version available, so I looked for "something" that would look plausible and that would go into the opened Dropship bay for display purposes. I was surprised, though, how clean and relatively modern the result looked - but the "real" APC is more SF, totally agree.

cataphractarius

Finally I remembered what it reminded me of - the Lockheed Twister:

http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/amphi/L/twisterspecial/twister.html

Just in an upscaled, uparmoured, non-articulated version...  ;D

I wonder how a RWS would look on top of this beast.
The most dangerous thing in the combat zone is an officer with a map.

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on May 22, 2013, 04:11:47 AM

I twigged the Jagdpanzer, but the cockpit canopy had me stumped: great bit of sparesboxology there.

Same here. I must admit I like this type of Sci Fi, where things are not to futuristic  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 22, 2013, 04:26:57 AM
Just for clarification: this vehicle was not supposed to look 100% like the Aliens APC - that is pretty different. But at its time there was no 1:72 version available, so I looked for "something" that would look plausible and that would go into the opened Dropship bay for display purposes. I was surprised, though, how clean and relatively modern the result looked - but the "real" APC is more SF, totally agree.

The WWII jagdpanzers are good for that: in the days when there wasn't much modern AFV stuff available, me and my mate used to make Sci-Fi grav tanks from Panthers and Jagdpanthers. Other good candidates are the T-34, and of the Russian Su-whatever assault guns, the M10/M36/Wolverine and the M8 Greyhound (if you lose the "quaint" turret).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Father Ennis

Pretty neat !!!  I like it.  I have a question,what is the mecha in the background ???  It looks very interesting ...

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Father Ennis on May 22, 2013, 07:32:39 PM
Pretty neat !!!  I like it.  I have a question,what is the mecha in the background ???  It looks very interesting ...

It's a scratch-built construction of mine - from various ruins and remnants of my first mecha era in the late 80ies. One of a kind (and silent 'star' of the pics):

1:72 "Moa" - Kit bashing/scratch model by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 "Moa" - Kit bashing/scratch model (rear view) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Never posted it here because it is more than 15 years old, but still younger than the APC  ;D

deathjester

Well, they are both most excellent!  Don't worry about the age of your Whiffs - we just want to see what awesomeness you've created! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW, those two models have a certain look of the Halo series about them - I could just see the Master Chief leaping out of that APC!!

Dizzyfugu

Father Ennis

That's a really fine looking mech you have built ! I liked your APC but that mech is just incredible ... !   I've been a big fan of Battletech since it started and you design looks like some of their newest designs !

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. It looks menacing... originally it was inspired (a bit) by the ground mecha you see in the Terminator future sequence - that's where the hunchback style and the guns on the arms come from. But otherwise I took what I could find and save.  ;D

Mondria

lovely APC, not a big fan of the wheels they can use more detail bit of tread pattern, but with a kit that old I cant see a problem with it

big fan of the cannons on the mech, fits really well with rest
Greetings Mondria
-------------------------------------------
some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/