USS SARATOGA CV-3, angled deck, jets. Finsished

Started by sandiego89, May 25, 2013, 05:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

That works really well. :thumbsup: I love that you kept the stack stripe!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

sandiego89

Quote from: pyro-manic on June 24, 2013, 08:27:48 AM
That works really well. :thumbsup: I love that you kept the stack stripe!

Thank you all- had to keep the stripe! Even though there was no need to distinguish her from the LEXINGTON at this point she sure looks better with it  ;) 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Joe C-P

CV-60 also carried the stripe to honor her predecessor.

I like how this came out; it looks plausible.  :thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

PR19_Kit

What's all this 'stripe' business please? I can see it on the model but haven't a clue what it's all about.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 25, 2013, 01:34:48 AM
What's all this 'stripe' business please? I can see it on the model but haven't a clue what it's all about.

Lexington and Saratoga allegedly looked identical, so Sara carried a stripe to show she wasn't Lex
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

sandiego89

Exactly, here is a link with a picture of the LEXINGTON and SARATOGA side by side, the stripe is very distinctive.  Seems she did not get the stripe until @1929, but had been operating besides the LEXINGTON for a few years as they.  Probably snagged more than one unaware aviator- much to his chagrin.  Interesting that most other US carriers carried large deck numbers or the Royal Navy  a single letter desgnator so aviators could tell which ship was which.   

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020210.jpg
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Ahah, it all makes sense now, thanks.  :thumbsup:

I must admit I can't find any pics of the later 'Sara' with a stripe anywhere, did they paint it out at some stage?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Joe C-P

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 25, 2013, 05:17:41 AM
Exactly, here is a link with a picture of the LEXINGTON and SARATOGA side by side, the stripe is very distinctive.  Seems she did not get the stripe until @1929, but had been operating besides the LEXINGTON for a few years as they.  Probably snagged more than one unaware aviator- much to his chagrin.  Interesting that most other US carriers carried large deck numbers or the Royal Navy  a single letter desgnator so aviators could tell which ship was which.   

The lower part of the island was painted black for a while, in tribute.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Popeye

wonderful work good sir......born again hard,  I must say :thumbsup:

nighthunter

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 25, 2013, 05:17:41 AM

That picture was taken in 1929 at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, in Bremerton, WA, my new hometown. You can tell it's pre-1930s because the Green Hammerhead Crane isn't built yet.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

Why were the funnels on those two so huge? Or were they something else that just looked like the funnels?

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 14, 2013, 05:17:26 PM
Why were the funnels on those two so huge? Or were they something else that just looked like the funnels?
Both the Sara and Lady Lex were originally designed to be American Battlecruisers, and indeed they are funnels, 4 stacks combined into one long stack. In fact, during the depression, the Lady Lex was ported in Tacoma, WA, my home town, to supply power during a bad drought, that hampered our hydro-electric dams.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

Magic, thanks so much Nighthunter.  :thumbsup:

There was a 1/700 (I think) model of the Saratoga (complete with stripe!) at the Bristol Show last weekend and it looks SERIOUSLY impressive in the plastic.

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Awesome ! Even better than I expected. Love the airwing...this thing is gonna kick some serious butt ! Great job all-around

:wub: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?