Painting a Tent Using a Food Tent Query

Started by Cobra, May 31, 2013, 11:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, have You ever seen Something and Thought it might work for Dio? i Recently bought a Food Tent, Used for Protecting Food from Pests as  the Basis for maybe a Tent like You'd see in The Jungle.it's a Kinda Filmy Material,would Spray Paint or Acrylic Paint Work for Painting it. i got it at my Local Dollar Tree. it's 17 inches Tall. What Say You? thanks for looking. Dan

rickshaw

Thats a very tall tent.  Perhaps for 1/32?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Father Ennis

What's it made of ?  Cloth could be done with food coloring. Plastics will take paint ...or...not ,depending of the plastic. Have you tried anything.on it yet ?

deathjester

Ok...as long as you post a picture of it though!!

Go to a car spares store, and find an appropriate colour of plastic based primer.  Then spray several coats onto your 'tent', letting each coat dry first.  This should build up in the small gaps in the mesh, and with any luck will appear to be proper tent material !!

Cobra

In Response, the Tent is made of a Mesh type Matieral. would it be Wise to Use some kind of Camo Spray Paint? Dan

Father Ennis

Mesh could.be good,if it isn't too big a mesh. I used to see all kinds of big tents in catalogs with stuff that was military surplus from all over the world. I can't remember any that were not a solid color. If the mesh is too big I would try the automotive paint with plastic that was already mentioned. I'm in favor of the food coloring or tea or strong coffee,first. You can always paint over it. Cheap craft paint might be a good option,too. Really,you should give some of these a try.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Father Ennis on June 01, 2013, 06:10:22 AM
What's it made of ?  Cloth could be done with food coloring. Plastics will take paint ...or...not ,depending of the plastic. Have you tried anything.on it yet ?

That's the problem. If it is a nylon mesh material (styrene is rather rare), chances are that no paint will actually adhere to the surface. You can spray paint it (I'd recommend airbrush and acryllics), but it will be touchy, the paint might easily flake off.

Cobra

it is a Nylon Mesh,think that Krylon Fusion Spray Paint might work on it? or would Acrylic Paint be a Better Option? Dan

Dizzyfugu

Is that an enamel paint? I'd think that this would create a more stable, flexible "skin" than water-based acryllics. It's tough, tough.

Old Wombat

Also, the chemical matrix (base) for the paint has a better (but not perfect) chance of biting into the nylon, so the paint stays on.

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Yup. Sounds odd, but you might try to sand the net before you apply paint. You might only reach the "upper level", but any added surface area will improve the paint contact with the net.

Maybe a wash with nitro-based thinner (or nail polish remover) will also "open" up the nylon surface without adding another layer of paint - it should even creep into the "holes".

Father Ennis

I just had a thought. ( Yes,I do on occasions get one.). You could take a bottle of liquid glue,like Testors and after pouring some out. (Save for later.) Take some sprue and cut it into small pieces and put it in the glue bottle and let it set while the plastic disolves. Add more plastic bits as necessary to get it thin enough to brush. Paint this on the formed cloth. This will give you a styrene surface to paint. It will fill the mesh but if thin enough you can leave "some" mesh pattern. I've used this to reinforce a paper top on my Ruppenschlepper Ost from Testors.  Don't forget to do this in a well vented area while you work and to keep it in a vented area while the glue cures,too. And yes,it does have an "air" about it till fully cured.