Whiffs found on Facebook

Started by philp, June 08, 2013, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sideshowbob9

That U-boat is genius!

It seems every nation has one. Here's a British one FWIW.

TheChronicOne

The U-Loc almost makes me want to petition for an "honorable" whiffie awards category for nominations of individuals that have no clue they are even in the running.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Alright, homie finished his build. Sweet!! Check it out. I still say,....  missed opportunity to call it the "TransVan."

By Don Williams posted on the "DesTROYer's Models" page.

"MPC 77 Trans Am married to a resin HK Holden panel van body converted to RHD with a Connelly leather interior , has custom rear bumper , custom tailgate , custom front spoiler and sidepipes . I left the wheels chrome as I didn't want a gold overload lol ."

Link here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DesTROYersModels/permalink/3742421122441268/?__tn__=-R

Pretty neat. I'm glad I didn't miss this completion. It looked really neat before as an in progress.... but this was worth the wait. Look at that Pontiac arrow!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

By Freddie Ball posted on the "The Mediocre Modelers group" page.

"Calling this one done. Was going to do a multi national decal job on it but changed my mind."

Link here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1771720973126058/permalink/2440575376240611/

I like it!!!  :wub: :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

The panel van looks gold (Sorry!) good, except for the rear end which is just ugly. :thumbsup:

The 'Toom is cool! :mellow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 10, 2020, 02:36:10 AM
The panel van looks gold (Sorry!) good, except for the rear end which is just ugly. :thumbsup:

The 'Toom is cool! :mellow:

Agreed on both counts.

Too many automotive stylists produce high quality front end on cars, but seem to run out of ideas by the time they reach the back.

On this subject, which stylist looked at a British Leyland sports car, shook his head, walked round it and said "Oh dear, the other side is just as bad!"?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

That would have been Harris Mann, and it was the early version of the TR7 that he 'improved' after that walk around.

Other opinions are available of course........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

By Rene Labus found on the "Revell Tamiya Italeri" page.

"The great-alt 1:72 Revell model of the F-16 A in the (What if) service of the imperial Iranian air force."

He also posted these two(pictures):

I dig!!!  :wub:

Link here  : https://www.facebook.com/groups/RTImodell/permalink/2451688891758384/?__tn__=-R

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

By Keith Thomas Locke found on the "The Mediocre Modelers group" page.

"Newest product from...."THE ARSENAL OF DEMOCRACY!!! Fresh in from patrol, a (1/72 scale) United States Navy Lockheed F-5-0-2Z Hornet. Based on the USN Island Class Zeppelin ZRS-12 U.S.S Nantucket Island, She is shown as she appeared during her service at the Battle of the Coral Sea, in May of 1942. (Built using parts from the bits box, and a goodly portion of a 1968 vintage FROG Lockheed P-38 Lightning)"

Link here  : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1771720973126058/permalink/2440131376285011/?__tn__=-R
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Been sitting on this one awhile. I tend to "hold on" to the ones I like most to save them for "last" but there really is no "last" so here it is.  It's from the FB page of the same name as our groupso I typically assume most of us have seen it and also, if I were to post everything from this FB group, it's about all I'd have time for!

By Lewis Akers found on the "What If Modellers" page.

"Hello everyone... here it is... my first ever What If (story at the end) 😉

Mind you... this was totally inspired by this Facebook Group so thank you everyone for your wonderful WIF builds!

This took me 18 months as it was super challenging to put the camouflage down on the super round fuselage... like... really challenging... but in the end... I am happy with it. Kit is the Minicraft Boeing 737-300 in 1/144th scale... paints are remnant BSB for SAC SIOP and the decals were mostly kitbashed between 1/144 B-58, 1/72 F-100 and 1/144 B-52

The story (every WIF should have one)

Boeing B-737 Persuader Tactical Theatre Bomber
In 1987 Boeing Defense Projects Executive Officer Bob "Boob" Anderson saw America's growing Rapid Air Dominance Doctrine emerging and saw an opportunity for a mid-range, less than strategic bomber for uncontested air space.

This project was intended to create a non-strategic capability for operations other than global war that would allow the USAF to place a large amount of ordinance on target, at a greatly reduced sortie cost, with a single aircraft that would not endanger the precious few strategic bombers of the USAF.

Bob was dogged in his vision and was able to convince Boeing that the idea of Intra-Theatre Air Power was a capability that Boeing should be a champion and a pioneer for.

Boeing liked the idea so much in fact that they decided to market three "Intra-Theatre" capabilities in bombing, transport and air refueling using the venerable and proven 737 airframe. Boeing built the first five aircraft, three bombers and one each of the Airlift and Refueling versions, from off the shelf new build Boeing 737-300 aircraft.

The new bomber used a "palletized" bomb carrier system which loaded from the front and rear of the Aircraft and was delivered from both the front and the rear bomb bays. The USAF was very enthusiastic about the new concept Intra-Theatre bomber although this was not the case so much with the theatre transport and refueling roles. The Air Force did allow for a proof of concept project with one each of the two non-bomber roles.

In 1987 The United States Air Force re-instated the 43rd Bomb Detachment under the umbrella of the 96th Bomber Squadron which was sub-ordinated to the 596th Bomber Squadron to complete the bomber portion of the proof-of-concept at Barksdale Air Force Base.
Boeing B-737B 92451 was delivered to Barksdale AFB in September 1988 in full SIOP colors in homage to SAC for hosting the non-strategic bomber trials. The Air Force was very excited that the Boeing B-737B could carry a total of 52 Mk-82 500 pound bombs or optionally 24 2,000 pound Mk-83 bombs. The concept was kept simple in that the airframe did one thing... carry the mail to the target in a reduced threat environment with minimal electronics as the envisioned mission was simple.

Alas, while the program was running ahead of schedule and below budget, the end of the Cold War left a vacant need now that the Strategic forces were somewhat out of a job and need of employment
While regarded as successful in every respect, the Boeing B-737B Intra-Theatre Tactical Bomber was allowed to die peacefully as one of the most successful military programs that would never see the operational realization of all the skillful engineering and military capability realized."

Link here  : https://www.facebook.com/groups/978290505610658/permalink/2893303240776032/?__tn__=-R
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Thanks for the half P-38, different from the ones I knew. The canopy does not seem to come from a P-38 kit, I wonder where it comes from.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Flyer

Quote from: Tophe on August 12, 2020, 10:07:14 PM
Thanks for the half P-38, different from the ones I knew. The canopy does not seem to come from a P-38 kit, I wonder where it comes from.

I'm using my phone so cannot see the pic's very large or detailed, but from what I can see it looks to me like a Brewster Buffalo canopy. Think the tailplane is Buffalo also.

Edit: just noticed the Buffalo on the coffee/tea mug in the background, so it seems even more likely  ;D
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

TheChronicOne

P-36?  Buffalo?  (I don't actually, know, I'm just quickly speculating)   Let me go look in the comments and see if he said anything. If not, I'll ask.  :mellow:

EDIT:  Two Brads posted at the same time. This is glorious.
-Sprues McDuck-

Flyer

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 12, 2020, 10:40:00 PM
P-36?  Buffalo?  (I don't actually, know, I'm just quickly speculating)   Let me go look in the comments and see if he said anything. If not, I'll ask.  :mellow:

EDIT:  Two Brads posted at the same time. This is glorious.

:mellow: :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.