Whiffs found on Facebook

Started by philp, June 08, 2013, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 30, 2021, 01:32:49 PM
As usual, sticking to the pages that aren't what-if related specifically......   found quite a few I've been saving up. I think I may have seen one or two of these posted elsewhere here recently but I can't recall the specifics so I may be preaching at the choir at times. Regardless.... there are quite a few and they are very cool!

By Matthew McConnell found on the ' The Mediocre Modelers group' page.

"In keeping with the name of this group (and definitely not an excuse for my own mediocrity), I offer a what-if! Specifically a 'What if the B-36 Peacemaker was used in Vietnam instead of B-52s?' It's the old Atlantis 1:184 scale kit, which doesn't look half bad when put together. "

Found here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1771720973126058/posts/2801403160157829/

Down in the comments Bryant Dunbar says,  "
A B-60 would be more appropriate for Vietnam as a "what if". B-36s would've suffered the same fate in Vietnam they would've had they been sent to Korea in the early 1950s.....they would've all been shot down. "

Then posted this picture. No credit given... I assume it's his but...  not sure so no bolding.

I really like this bad boy.... now... if I had done it, I would have been compelled to do a different cockpit... I've never been a fan of the big bubble on top, purely for aesthetic reasons. Functionally speaking, I really like it.... I mean... just watch "SAC" and check it out... it's like being on the bridge of a ship!
Wow that B-60 looks impressive,  if only the 1/72 Monogram/Revell  B-36 Peacemaker was as easy to convert. That's why I am using parts from a B-52G to build mine.

Old Wombat

Like the USCG 'Hog & the USAF Hunter! :thumbsup:

(Although, personally, FAR148's USMC Hunter is better ;))
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Quote from: McColm on September 30, 2021, 07:45:26 PM
Wow that B-60 looks impressive,  if only the 1/72 Monogram/Revell  B-36 Peacemaker was as easy to convert. That's why I am using parts from a B-52G to build mine.

That's great! I love your ambitious builds. I was reading through your blog today, in fact.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 30, 2021, 07:48:52 PM

Agreed on both counts!

Here's another for consideration:

By Yau-Hang Lee found on the ' ARC Aircraft Resource Center' page.

"Trumpeter's F-107. It was to be the successor to North American's F-100. However, the USAF chose the F-105.  I decided to make this into a "what if" the F-107 was chosen.  I added wing tip air to air missiles, scratch built six hard points under the wings and hung wome Hasegawa weapons. The markings were from a Microscale F-100 sheet with some alterations. "

Found here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/posts/1316343795452983/
-Sprues McDuck-

Snowtrooper

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 30, 2021, 01:32:49 PM
Down in the comments Bryant Dunbar says,  "
A B-60 would be more appropriate for Vietnam as a "what if". B-36s would've suffered the same fate in Vietnam they would've had they been sent to Korea in the early 1950s.....they would've all been shot down. "

That would be true only  for the Linebacker raids to the North. However, the rest of the war B-52's were exclusively used south of the DMZ (in order to not to "escalate", whether that made sense or not), and for doing an Arc Light strike at given map coordinates with practically no heavy AA that could reach higher than a few thousand feet, B-36 would have been just fine, as would have been the B-47. But with the B-36 maintenance being a living nightmare, it's no wonder the USAF got rid of it as soon as possible. IMO getting something out of the last few flying hours out of the B-47 fleet would have been semi-plausible (B-47's could also carry WW2 vintage bombs if some were still in stock), but apparently the desire to gain at least some sort of combat experience (even if it was bombing a "suspected truck park" aka jungle) for the B-52 crews was seen as more important.

McColm

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 30, 2021, 10:34:23 PM
Quote from: McColm on September 30, 2021, 07:45:26 PM

That's great! I love your ambitious builds. I was reading through your blog today, in fact.  :thumbsup:
Thanks  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 30, 2021, 07:48:52 PM

Agreed on both counts!

Here's another for consideration:

By Yau-Hang Lee found on the ' ARC Aircraft Resource Center' page.

"Trumpeter's F-107. It was to be the successor to North American's F-100. However, the USAF chose the F-105.  I decided to make this into a "what if" the F-107 was chosen.  I added wing tip air to air missiles, scratch built six hard points under the wings and hung wome Hasegawa weapons. The markings were from a Microscale F-100 sheet with some alterations. "

Found here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/posts/1316343795452983/

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 01, 2021, 04:30:08 AM
The Ultra Hun is very nice.

It is indeed  :thumbsup: I like that B.60, or whatever it is, as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

From facebook. Somebody needs to model this. Seriously cool.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Quote from: The Rat on October 08, 2021, 02:27:12 PM
From facebook. Somebody needs to model this. Seriously cool...

The aircraft or the Kharman Ghia?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on October 09, 2021, 04:14:12 AM
Quote from: The Rat on October 08, 2021, 02:27:12 PM
From facebook. Somebody needs to model this. Seriously cool...

The aircraft or the Kharman Ghia?

Whichever takes your fancy........
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

Just posted some pictures of my latest builds on Facebook;
The contra-rotating Airfix Fairey Rotodyne AEW
The Lindberg Sikorsky HH-3E Stallion Armed AEW
The Italeri EH-101 Merlin HAS.1 Crows Nest AEW-I'm still working on the rotor blades and wheels.

Scotaidh

This impressive aeroplane would make an equally impressive model. (from an original painting by Keith Woodcock)

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Scotaidh

Daniel Uhr

A work I did
Northrop N-31
Done in Rhino/Flamingo/Photoshop

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Flyer

Cool, not too keen on the tip jet's though, but I suppose it'd look a bit boring with all six engines at the inboard location...
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

jcf

Quote from: Flyer on October 11, 2021, 12:56:32 PM
Cool, not too keen on the tip jet's though, but I suppose it'd look a bit boring with all six engines at the inboard location...

You'll have to take that up with Northrop.  :wacko:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/northrop-n-31-and-n-31a-flying-wing-bombers.5219/