Whiffs found on Facebook

Started by philp, June 08, 2013, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 25, 2023, 04:23:38 AM...  the Facebook link doesn't work for me - content unavailable or somesuch drivel - was there any more info on the build? The cowling looks distinctly Kestrel-like, and where did the spats originate?
I just noticed that it is in a "private" FB group: "What If" and "Alternate History" Model Group

As noted: "engine and undercarriage from an A Model Hawker Fury, shortened wings and fuselage"

There were a few more photos. Should I attach them here?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

2996 Victor

Quote from: perttime on May 25, 2023, 06:23:40 AM
Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 25, 2023, 04:23:38 AM...  the Facebook link doesn't work for me - content unavailable or somesuch drivel - was there any more info on the build? The cowling looks distinctly Kestrel-like, and where did the spats originate?
I just noticed that it is in a "private" FB group: "What If" and "Alternate History" Model Group

As noted: "engine and undercarriage from an A Model Hawker Fury, shortened wings and fuselage"

There were a few more photos. Should I attach them here?
Thanks! And apologies for not reading your post properly....Oh, and yes please!

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

perttime

More Supermarine Shrike Mk1 by Ben Summerfield

You cannot view this attachment.

2996 Victor

Quote from: perttime on May 25, 2023, 06:51:48 AMMore Supermarine Shrike Mk1 by Ben Summerfield
That's brilliant, thanks - its a really impressive piece of modelling, isn't it?

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

NARSES2

I know this is going to sound stupid, but that prop being north/south detracts from the entire build for me. Pathetic I know, but it just doesn't sit right to my minds eye  :banghead:

Still a brilliant build  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 25, 2023, 07:12:43 AMI know this is going to sound stupid, but that prop being north/south detracts from the entire build for me. Pathetic I know, but it just doesn't sit right to my minds eye  :banghead:

Still a brilliant build  :bow:

I understand Chris' point.   If the prop were at a slightly slantendicular angle it would be perfect..............but it's a superb piece of work.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

Yes, a non-vertical & non-horizontal prop would look better, & I have a couple of other minor criticisms.

One is the aforementioned guns; definitely should only be four.

Two is also gun related; the smoke stains look more like oil streaks, they're far too heavy & thick - in fact, they're heavier than the actual oil streaks under the fuselage!

All that said, though, the overall build is excellent & the majority of the weathering is spot on! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

perttime

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 25, 2023, 07:47:41 AM...
Two is also gun related; the smoke stains look more like oil streaks, they're far too heavy & thick - in fact, they're heavier than the actual oil streaks under the fuselage!
Somebody over-lubed the guns, hoping that they'd be more reliable in Abyssinia that way?
(Some seem to believe that John Browning's M1911 pistol (and similar) works better if soaked in oil. Which oil to use for the soaking is a highly contentious question.... )
 :wacko:   ;D

PR19_Kit

Of course the wings could be longer...................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

2996 Victor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 25, 2023, 09:55:25 AMOf course the wings could be longer...................  ;D
:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Mark's workbench:

Wardukw

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 25, 2023, 09:59:30 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 25, 2023, 09:55:25 AMOf course the wings could be longer...................  ;D
:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
😄😄😄😄👍 always longer .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

It might have been inspired by this,  which was itself inspired by one of my builds (also an early Spitfire with a Fury engine and spatted fixed landing gear, even though my build had inverted gull wings instead of the clipped/rounded wing tips)

1/72 Supermarine Shrike Mk1 (Type 250) Ethiopia 1937 inspired by dizzyfugu kit bash masterpieces.
by ben summerfield, on Flickr

1:72 Supermarine (Type 250) "Skylark Mk. I", aircraft "50" of the Irish Army Air Corps (IAAC) No. 1 Squadron; Baldonnel (Dublin), late 1938 (What-if/modified Hasegawa kit)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Rick Lowe

And props to him for giving credit to you for the inspiration of the model.  :thumbsup:

scooter

CAT-AT

Stolen from FB and shared to Imgur here (link for when the Nannybook token expires, or if you can't see it on Nannybook)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng