Whiffs found on Facebook

Started by philp, June 08, 2013, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killnoizer

Quote from: zenrat on April 10, 2024, 04:41:02 AMThey could have made the effort to add passenger windows.

Maybe there are GREAT Panorama windows under the bay doors ... open just in orbit  :thumbsup:
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

2996 Victor

Quote from: The Rat on April 10, 2024, 07:36:56 AM
Quote from: 2996 Victor on April 10, 2024, 06:20:55 AM
Quote from: The Rat on March 10, 2024, 12:42:22 PMNeat idea, a Wildcat modified as a dive-bomber, by Jose Andres Romero. Still in progress:
I'd be interested to see this - have you got a link?

Forgot to include the link, now I can't remember where it was.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
Quote from: perttime on April 10, 2024, 09:36:03 AMIt must be this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/388572005891340/permalink/1134915341256999/

You cannot view this attachment.
Thanks guys and perttime for the link.

I like it - it's a great premise, although I think I'd have slung a single bomb under the centre line on a crutch like the Vought Vindicator. In fact, I might have to give it a go! The metallic finish is pretty spectacular, too.

Thanks again,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

The Rat

By Jove, I think that's the one! Thanks!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

That Wildcat looks awesome!
Did Wildcats ever carry bombs or tanks under the belly? I don't recall seeing any. There may not be enough ground clearance. The wing points look good to me and the flaps/ airbrakes look great!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK the F4F only had underwing hardpoints. However, the SBC, with a similar landing gear, had a fuselage hardpoint, but I have only ever seen an auxiliary fuel tank in that position. IIRC the aircraft had a forked arm to swing the bomb (maybe 500 lb at best?) outside of the propeller disc, though.

2996 Victor

Quote from: kerick on April 10, 2024, 04:11:53 PMThat Wildcat looks awesome!
Did Wildcats ever carry bombs or tanks under the belly? I don't recall seeing any. There may not be enough ground clearance. The wing points look good to me and the flaps/ airbrakes look great!
I've only ever seen drop tanks under the wings

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 11, 2024, 01:34:22 AMAFAIK the F4F only had underwing hardpoints. However, the SBC, with a similar landing gear, had a fuselage hardpoint, but I have only ever seen an auxiliary fuel tank in that position. IIRC the aircraft had a forked arm to swing the bomb (maybe 500 lb at best?) outside of the propeller disc, though.

Great drawings on the SBC. I was wondering if a bomb could have been semi-recessed into the lower fuselage and swung out on a crutch like that.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

jcf

Quote from: 2996 Victor on April 11, 2024, 03:01:51 AM
Quote from: kerick on April 10, 2024, 04:11:53 PMThat Wildcat looks awesome!
I've only ever seen drop tanks under the wings

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 11, 2024, 01:34:22 AMAFAIK the F4F only had underwing hardpoints. However, the SBC, with a similar landing gear, had a fuselage hardpoint, but I have only ever seen an auxiliary fuel tank in that position. IIRC the aircraft had a forked arm to swing the bomb (maybe 500 lb at best?) outside of the propeller disc, though.

Great drawings on the SBC. I was wondering if a bomb could have been semi-recessed into the lower fuselage and swung out on a crutch like that.

Cheers,
Mark
The landing gear placement and geometry makes that unlikely. The recess would have to be farther aft and the crutch longer.

jcf

The F4F is cool, but I wouldn't want to do it with one of the folding wing versions. The earlier solid wing would probably be safer.
;)

2996 Victor

Quote from: jcf on April 11, 2024, 12:09:12 PMThe landing gear placement and geometry makes that unlikely. The recess would have to be farther aft and the crutch longer.
Agreed. The F4F has a girder-like structure between the wheel wells - I wonder if that could be beefed up as the pivot point for the crutch. The bomb would then be located farther aft.

Quote from: jcf on April 11, 2024, 12:16:52 PMThe F4F is cool, but I wouldn't want to do it with one of the folding wing versions. The earlier solid wing would probably be safer.
Definitely! The F4F-3 would be the better basis. The SBD had non-folding wings for that reason.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: jcf on April 11, 2024, 12:16:52 PMThe F4F is cool, but I wouldn't want to do it with one of the folding wing versions. The earlier solid wing would probably be safer.
;)

I wasn't aware that the wing folding was only introduced with the F4F-4, but an earlier fixed wing would certainly be the best basis.
Makes me seriosuly wonder about an extended cockpit with a 2nd crewman in tandem, and maybe a rear-facing machine gun (for an SB2F, an SBF actually existed, a biplane with retractable landing gear).

2996 Victor

So, like a dog with a bone, the whole Wildcat dive-bomber idea is spiralling madly out of control.

This afternoon I've had a little play around with an Eduard F4F-3 fuselage and the bomb arrangement from an Academy (ex-Accurate Miniatures) SBD-1. Suffice to say I think its a go-er, although the Wildcat fuselage would need to be recessed slightly for the bomb itself. Anyway, here are a few pics of the silliness.
Mark's workbench:

perttime

Is it possible to get a recessed bomb loaded on a Wildcat? Without resorting to any awkward structures or procedures, that is.

2996 Victor

Quote from: perttime on April 12, 2024, 11:20:53 AMIs it possible to get a recessed bomb loaded on a Wildcat? Without resorting to any awkward structures or procedures, that is.
Probably not :lol: I reckon several of the fuselage frames would need modifying!
Mark's workbench:

jcf

You'll need an extended tailwheel strut.  ;)

You cannot view this attachment.

2996 Victor

Quote from: jcf on April 12, 2024, 12:41:10 PMYou'll need an extended tailwheel strut.  ;)

Excellent point  <_<
Mark's workbench: