Whiffs found on Facebook

Started by philp, June 08, 2013, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Yes, there were versions of the F-89 that only carried fuel in the tip-tanks, but it seemed most had a fuel-missile mix.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

F-89A/B/C and J (F-89D-35 through D-70 rebuilt to carry the Genie and pylon-mounted Falcons) only had
wingtip fuel tanks.

The F-89D, as originally built, combined FFAR and fuel pods, the H had the combo FFAR and Falcon pods
with pylon-mounted underwing tanks.

As to the F-89 wing problems:
"A large part of the wing's torsional divergence was attributed to an unstable torsional moment about
the wing's elastic axis, introduced by the airflow over the tip tanks."

Balzer, Gerald and Mike Dario. Aerofax Data Graph 8: Northrop F-89 Scorpion, 
(Aerofax Inc: Arlington, TX, 1993), p. 30.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

If that turret works, I WANT ONE!

It'd fit a treat on my Volvo 850 and then all the BMWs around here would have REAL problems!  :tank:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 13, 2023, 02:54:42 PMIf that turret works, I WANT ONE!

It'd fit a treat on my Volvo 850 and then all the BMWs around here would have REAL problems!  :tank:
If that turret don't work Kit...I can change that matey  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Convert it to a potato gun.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Schurzen would be handy in peak hour traffic.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

LOL! The German TÜV would fall over - dead!  ;D

perttime

Supermarine Shrike Mk1
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159057367591946&set=pcb.5672047712897329  (edit: sorry: private group: "What If" and "Alternate History" Model Group)

You cannot view this attachment.

"Supermarine Shrike Mk1 during the Abyssinia crisis which turned hot against the Italians, effectively acting like the Spanish civil war for the RAF in that it learnt a lot tactically preparing it for future conflicts.
The kit is the good Ol' Aldi special Airfix 1/72 Mk1 Spit kit bashed with the engine and undercarriage from an A Model Hawker Fury, shortened wings and fuselage"

Old Wombat

Six guns is a lot for the era, four would be more likely & would look a bit better in the shortened wing, but it's a great whif build! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

That's REALLY good Whiffing, I'm most impressed.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

2996 Victor

That's an excellent premise and a superbly built model. I think I agree that four guns would be more likely, but it doesn't detract. Unfortunately, the Facebook link doesn't work for me - content unavailable or somesuch drivel - was there any more info on the build? The cowling looks distinctly Kestrel-like, and where did the spats originate?

Great stuff!

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

Old Wombat

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 25, 2023, 04:23:38 AMThe cowling looks distinctly Kestrel-like, and where did the spats originate?

Quote from: perttime on May 25, 2023, 02:28:37 AMThe kit is the good Ol' Aldi special Airfix 1/72 Mk1 Spit kit bashed with the engine and undercarriage from an A Model Hawker Fury, shortened wings and fuselage"
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

2996 Victor

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 25, 2023, 05:08:33 AM
Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 25, 2023, 04:23:38 AMThe cowling looks distinctly Kestrel-like, and where did the spats originate?

Quote from: perttime on May 25, 2023, 02:28:37 AMThe kit is the good Ol' Aldi special Airfix 1/72 Mk1 Spit kit bashed with the engine and undercarriage from an A Model Hawker Fury, shortened wings and fuselage"
D'oh! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 25, 2023, 03:56:42 AMThat's REALLY good Whiffing, I'm most impressed.  :thumbsup:

It is indeed
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.