Whiffs found on Facebook

Started by philp, June 08, 2013, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tahsin

ls it just my imagination or are there extra exhausts that coincide with the turbine end and afterburner section beginning part of the engines in addition to yaw control extension?

PR19_Kit

Yeah, there's something on the underside there, but it's not too clear.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Wasn't that on Airwolf ?? ;D
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Looks like the rear vents divert the two main engine's thrust downwards, albeit a tad crudely, and they're not steerable. That would improve the 'centre of thrust/CG' situation for sure, but how they'd work in the transition is somewhat questionable.

It also looks like it has nose, tail and wingtip 'puffers' too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: Scotaidh on November 23, 2020, 01:06:51 PM
(special B-29 on Facebook)
Thanks Scotaidh, you made me dream of similar things on P-38 basis, see that at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=20326.5475
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

tahsin

Will turn out to be designed to fail so that it can be salvaged into an US Army mission of operating out of 250 m grass strips.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 16, 2020, 12:43:01 PM
Not sure how that would work in reality.

The lift engines are nowhere near the CG, and that's essential for a direct lift VTOL aircraft. They need to be a lot further rearwards.

Nice photoshop pic, but as Kit mentioned: this is poor engineering skill by the artist (even though I like the idea, esp. to use a two-seater. The front eniges are, as main lifting devices, too far forward, and the rear exhausts are located at the actual engines' front end, this makes even less sense, and I'd doubt the output would be enough to balance this thing. It would also certainly have VERY short legs, with all those engines and internal space for fuel (even more) reduced. Nice idea, but poor "execution", IMHO.

chrisonord

But it would still make a hopeless adversary  for Airwolf  :wacko:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 19, 2020, 04:05:05 AM

and the rear exhausts are located at the actual engines' front end, this makes even less sense, and I'd doubt the output would be enough to balance this thing.

Actually they are at the rear end of the engines, the fronts of the engines are up near where the main u/c is. If anyone remembers how the Airfix F-5 Freedom Fighter went together, the tail plane is moulded in one to the tail pipe fairing, and this has a very sharp angled connection to the fuselage. This is actually how a real F-5 goes together and how you get the engines out. The end of the engines are at this angled connection at about the mid fuselage location.
I know this because I worked on a real F-5 and used the rear engine mounts as one of the main connections for the display stand it eventually went on.

You can see the angled connection on the fuselage I'm talking about in this link. It's like this in real life.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-123-freedom-fighter--136198
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 19, 2020, 04:05:05 AM
Nice photoshop pic

Not Photoshop, it's a Northrop illustration, go to this link and scroll down, it's retired 30-year
Northrop employee Tony Chong's blog:
http://ghostmodeler.blogspot.com/2012/09/talons-in-space-northrops-n-205-proposal.html

The same illustration and a 3-view are on pg. 163 of his book Flying Wings and Radical Things.
https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Wings-Radical-Things-Northrops/dp/1580072291

Inter alia Northrop had negotiated a license manufacture deal with H-S for the Kestrel/XV-6A,
based on the projected US Army purchase of the type. Plans had proceeded to the point of
drawings and manufacturing pre-planning by the time the axe fell on Army fixed-wing armed
combat aircraft.

tahsin

Those should be red stripes just around the horizontal tails and l am pretty sure they supposedly mark the location where the compressors or turbines are. To let the groundcrew avoid lingering around at a time rapidly spinning things had this tendency to throw blades, l think...

And yes, a perfect scheme. Unlikely case US Army allowed to buy "Harriers" and the trainer variant is an intense mismatch. USAF is compelled to do better, invariably with a battery of lift engines and yes, this doesn't still fit anyhow.

TheChronicOne

By Nikola Kapetanovic.  Something went tits-up and I can't get back to the main post so I don't recall what page it was on and if he made any remarks.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Posted by Benjamin Donnelly, found on the "Airliner-Civil Aircraft Modeller" page.

"This model of a Boeing 2707 is a wood presentation model of some kind, or was hand-built by an unknown builder.  It was in the possession of a Mr. Burrows of Great Falls, MT, and looks to have been repainted by my stepfather. Mr. Burrows was a former Northwest Airlines pilot who started off in Electras and finished up in 767s.   It is a rather large model, with operating swing wings--probably around 1/100 scale (it corresponds in size with the 1/100 747s in the Poletto Collection).  Following Mr. Burrows' passing in early 2018, it was later donated to the Poletto Collection by his son, Dewitt. 
Hope it's okay to post this here, but it's a pretty unique find!  I have two of the much smaller Revell models in United colors as well."

Public page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/467937910029680/permalink/1856675944489196/
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

By Stefan Svensson found on the "Airliner-Civil Aircraft Modeller" page.

"Microscales decals for the Comet fits the Caravelle"

Public page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/467937910029680/permalink/1867206216769502/
-Sprues McDuck-