Whiffs found on Facebook

Started by philp, June 08, 2013, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 01, 2021, 07:33:12 AM
For me that B-1 goes to the top of the list.  :thumbsup:

I could just see that happening too!  :o

Yup. With a decent background, this could make some people seriosuly nervous...  :rolleyes:
However, I find the IDF B-1 great, too. The idea is bold, and the fractal cammo is a nice and well-executed on-top detail. Melikes.

Scotaidh

I found this today - never seen it before.  Google says this <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_XV-2>

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

A pity they never built it, it looks pretty darn practical to me. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Anigrand does a kit of it ----  ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Scotaidh

Just in time for the Blue Lights GB -

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Rick Lowe

Scotaidh

I/48 Jug with 1/72 B-17 ...

PR19_Kit

That's one HECK of an engine that's got there!  :o

An R-500000?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

You inspired me to do the same with a P-51, thanks Scotaidh! :thumbsup:
see my drawing at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=4461.2580  :unsure: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Scotaidh

Scotaidh

"What Might Have Been": Inflight view of two conceptual operational USAF/North American Aviation F-93As in potential markings during lifetime operations. However, during February 1949, the Truman administration initiated draconian DoD budget cuts. Among the program casualties was NAA's F-93 contract for 118 fighters. However, in 1950 the prototype YF-93A was permitted to compete against the Lockheed XF-90 and McDonnell XF-88 for the Penetration Fighter contract. During the competition, the YF-93A, XF-90 and XF-88 all suffered from low engine thrust performance. The Penetration Fighter requirement was subsequently cancelled, and the NAA YF-93 suffered a second setback. Out of the group, a transformational McDonnell F-101A Voodoo later emerged as a successful program. Fascinating details are covered on Chapter 3 of, "U.S. Combat Aircraft Fly-Off Competitions", by Erik Simonsen – Published by Specialty Press, with a Foreword by USAF Historian Emeritus Dr. Richard Hallion.  Erik Simonsen photo/illustration

The first YF-93A with NACA inlets The first YF-93A with NACA inlets

Top view of 48-317, the first YF-93A, after having conventional intakes fitted

Flyer

To me it looks a lot like a solid nose F-86, especially in the top view. I like it.  :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Scotaidh

Skybolt carrier, that's one I've not heard of before. I wonder if they planned much structural work to hang that much weight off the wings?
Pic is from Brooklands museum as per the watermark.

kitnut617

Called a 'poffler' --- Chris Gibson writes about it in a couple of his books. Tony Buttler mentions them in his books too.

S&M do a 1/144 kit of it too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Wasn't "Poffler" used in WWII for something as well ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.