Whiffs found on Facebook

Started by philp, June 08, 2013, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Scotaidh

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

martinbayer

Poor little thing looks like it ran smack dab head on into the sound barrier - darn compressibility effects...

Also: Looks like something that at any given day one might find on Tophe's workbench...
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

kerick

Pilot must fly standing up!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Nick

jcf

Art by Robert Firszt, this is from the albums on his public Facebook page:
P.11G is essentially a P.11 fuselage with P.24 wings.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063581026769&sk=photos_all

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Rare photo of the XB-6A prototype
The XB-6A prototype was built from off-the-shelf components to save money. For example, the synchronized cannon firing through the nose was borrowed from the Death Star.

Scotaidh

Specifications (C-119)
Crew: 5.
Capacity: 62 troops or. 35 stretchers.
Payload: 10,000 lb (4,500 kg) of cargo.
Length: 86 ft 6 in (26.37 m)
Wingspan: 109 ft 3 in (33.30 m)
Height: 26 ft 6 in (8.08 m)
Wing area: 1,447 ft² (134.4 m²)
Empty weight: 40,000 lb (18,000 kg)
Specifications (XC-120)
Crew: Five (pilot, copilot, flight engineer, two loadmasters)
Capacity: 20,000 lb (9,090 kg) (2,700 cu.ft)
Length: 82 ft 10 in (25.25 m)
Wingspan: 106 ft 6 in (32.46 m)
Height: 25 ft 1 in (7.65 m)
Wing area: 1,447 sq ft (134.4 m2)
Gross weight: 64,000 lb (29,030 kg)

Here are the reasons it was not accepted by the USAF:
The XC-120 was tested extensively during 1950, and was widely publicized in the media of the day. In spite of its innovative design, however, in the end the U.S. Air Force did not accept it. Although it flew well with a cargo pod attached, THE AIRCRAFT PROVED TOO UNSTABLE WITHOUT IT. This phenomenon was specifically attested to by James Winnie, who served as flight engineer during the plane's test flights at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida. "Glad they only made one," was his terse comment.
Given time the stability problem might have been sorted out, but the outbreak of the Korean War, and the consequent need for increased C-119 production, seems to have put an end to Fairchild's development of the Pack Plane. Nevertheless, the XC-120 remains an intriguing aviation concept that was ahead of its time in 1950, and may still be so today.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]