Whiffs found on Facebook

Started by philp, June 08, 2013, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

We're invited to name this aircraft.  Many are the responses, but none really resonated
- other than "F/A-25 Hoggle", but then I like "Labyrinth" ...

"Adam L Shirley
Its an EAGLEBOLT OR THUNGLE .....I Like the theory, but that gun would rattle a F15s frame to bits.... imagine how the future of CAS would look though!.( through chattering teeth)😏"

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

TheChronicOne

Something oddly appealing about it.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Scotaidh

The Boeing Vertol XCH-62 (Model 301) was a triple-turbine, heavy-lift helicopter project designed for the United States Army by Boeing Vertol. Approved in 1971, only one aircraft was built before it was canceled in 1974. An attempt by NASA to resurrect the program was aborted in 1983.
While the CH-47 Chinook is a large helicopter by American standards, its payload of 28,000 lb is dwarfed by the huge Soviet-Russian heavy-lift helicopters such as the Mil Mi-26 (44,000 lb) and the experimental Mil Mi-12 (55,000–88,000 lb), and for a long time Boeing and the US military had an urge to match or top the Mil heavy lifters.
In the late 1960s, Boeing came up with designs for machines with broad similarities to the Sea Knight and Chinook, but about twice the size of the Chinook in terms of linear dimensions. Proposed machines included the "Model 227" transport and the "Model 237" flying crane.

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Scotaidh

In January 1942, the US Navy sought stopgap solution proposals from Vought and Grumman in case the Curtiss SB2C Helldiver proved not fit for service. As postponements of the SB2C's delivery mounted, it was thought that the F4U and F6F designs, with powerplants in the 2000 horsepower range, could be capably adapted to the dive bombing role in relatively short time.
It is not known if Grumman responded to this call for proposals. Vought, however, took up the challenge with a design (known internally as model V-170 Cutlass) which added a rear gunner position to an early F4U-1 airframe. However, this shifted the center of gravity too far rearward. To remedy this, the wing roots would need to be moved back, requiring a major design effort and more time than the Navy could tolerate. Had development proceeded it would have been designated SB4U Cutlass in US Navy use. In the end, the project never went beyond a mock-up, and the Curtiss SB2C began to enter service in quantity early the next year.

Flyer

Like the Thungle, I was at one time going to build something similar using a F/A-18 but I have given up on that...
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

NARSES2

I like the Cutlass  :thumbsup: Maybe cockpit moved forward a tad as well as the wing roots back a tad ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 18, 2021, 06:01:19 AM
I like the Cutlass  :thumbsup: Maybe cockpit moved forward a tad as well as the wing roots back a tad ?

Me, too. Am SB2C glasshouse transplant should work, and moving the windscreen forward (at the expense of the front tanks) would certainly be a good move, also improving the pilot's field of view for dive attacks.

kerick

Just move the engine forward a few inches. A few spacer blocks between the engine mount and engine block. What's a few more inches going to do to pilot view at this point?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

The turret looks British, IMHO, a Martin turret would be the way to go.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 19, 2021, 06:15:50 AM

It's IMHO too small, too, it looks like a 1:100 item on a 1:72 model?

Old Wombat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 19, 2021, 06:44:53 AM

It's a Defiant turret, isn't it? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Doug K

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 19, 2021, 08:14:26 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 19, 2021, 06:44:53 AM

It's a Defiant turret, isn't it? :unsure:

It looks like it, the COG would be an issue but I have been thinking about something similar

jcf

The power turret profile is not part of the original post by David Chudoba* in The Greatest Planes That Never Were Group.
It's Tim Morley's group.

*Personally I think that when stuff is shared here from FB posts, the author of the post should be
credited, especially in case like this where David is the creator.

TheChronicOne

I'm behind.... again.... with these....  This first one from all the way back on April 6th.  ;D

By Rufino Mario Lucero found on the " The Greatest Planes That Never Were" page.

" This never existed"   

Link here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/34366349783/posts/10159115582944784/
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

By Alexander Chung found on the " Facebook Scale Modellers" page.

"So I bought this at Hobby Lobby on sale for $10.99 and thought it was a real bargain until I tried putting it together!!! The WORST kit I have ever laid hands on! Nothing fit! Quite a surprise since I thought Academy made quality kits. Was about to bin it and then remembered someone putting this photo of an unpainted F16 from Hill AFB and thought what have I got to lose. Not exactly like the photo but I only had one reference picture and had to guess on the wings. Anyway this is the result.🤷🏻‍♂️ "

Link here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/crumblebuilders/posts/1555612257975239/
-Sprues McDuck-