F-102 Ideas & Questions

Started by KJ_Lesnick, June 19, 2013, 08:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix:

The F-102 received several major modifications during its operational lifetime, with most airframes being retrofitted with infrared search/tracking systems, radar warning receivers, transponders, backup artificial horizons, and improvements to the fire-control system.[17] A proposed close-support version (never built) would have incorporated, in addition, an internal Gatling gun, an extra two hardpoints for bombs (in addition to the two underwing pylons for drop tanks that were fitted to all production F-102s), bigger internal fuel tanks, and an in-flight-refueling probe.[17]
[Source]

Kendra had you actually even looked at Wikipedia before starting this thread?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

The F-102C's been discussed further back in the thread, but it's not clear how the gun was to be fitted, ie, was it at the expense of missiles, electronics or something else. That makes it a bit hard to evaluate whether it's really what Kendra wants, i.e. an F-102 "fighter" with a gun, or a ground attack type with compromised fighter abilities. Kendra's original question was about whether an F-102 with a gun would have been a better fighter, and the existence of a "mysterious" gun-armed close support proposal doesn't really answer that.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

KJ_Lesnick

Why did the F-102 have a three section bay and the F-106A have one?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Weaver

At a guess, I'd say that the three-section bay gives a theoretically more rigid fuselage because you can have full-depth longitudinal members running though it. However they probably then realised how limiting it's dimensions would be for accomodating improved and bigger missiles, so they decided to invest in a bit more metal in the F-106's fuselage and have a one big flexible (in every sense of the word) bay.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

KJ_Lesnick

Weaver

QuoteNo, other way around: more F-106s get bought because they're better interceptors and that frees up 102s for export/re-purposing.
Makes sense enough.  Still I'm not sure if McNamara would have still insisted on trying to force the F4H/F-4 on the USAF before more F-106's were bought (Admittedly I don't think the F-4 was a bad interceptor).

Rickshaw

Most of the information on the F-102C I read was either on Joe Baugher's page, though I had read Wikipedia: I'm surprised the gatling comment slipped right past me!

Weaver

Understood
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Weaver

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on July 31, 2013, 11:28:18 AM
Weaver

QuoteNo, other way around: more F-106s get bought because they're better interceptors and that frees up 102s for export/re-purposing.
Makes sense enough.  Still I'm not sure if McNamara would have still insisted on trying to force the F4H/F-4 on the USAF before more F-106's were bought (Admittedly I don't think the F-4 was a bad interceptor).

Well one of my favorite scenarios is one in which the F-4 either never happened at all, or it was only bought as the AH-1 attack plane instead of a failed A-6 program, so that creates an opportunity for advanced F-105s, F-106s, operational F-107s etc... 

- Indiana Jones

KJ_Lesnick

Weaver

QuoteWell one of my favorite scenarios is one in which the F-4 either never happened at all, or it was only bought as the AH-1 attack plane instead of a failed A-6 program
What's wrong with the A-6?

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on July 31, 2013, 03:09:00 PM
Weaver

Well one of my favorite scenarios is one in which the F-4 either never happened at all, or it was only bought as the AH-1 attack plane instead of a failed A-6 program, so that creates an opportunity for advanced F-105s, F-106s, operational F-107s etc... 

AH-1?  Attack Helicopter?  Or have I missed something?

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on August 01, 2013, 08:15:49 PM
Quote from: Weaver on July 31, 2013, 03:09:00 PM
Weaver

AH-1?  Attack Helicopter?  Or have I missed something?

Original designation under pre-1962 USN designation system: A for Attack, H for McDonnell, -1 for first of type.
http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/f4_1.html

rickshaw

Weaver

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on August 01, 2013, 08:03:38 PM
Weaver

QuoteWell one of my favorite scenarios is one in which the F-4 either never happened at all, or it was only bought as the AH-1 attack plane instead of a failed A-6 program
What's wrong with the A-6?

Nothing now, but it's avionics development was traumatic, with delays, rising costs etc... You could easily see, in an parrallel whiff-world, all this turning into a public scandal that sees the project cancelled and the Navy fall out of love with fancy electronics. They then decide that what they want is, effectively, a "big Skyhawk" which is what the AH-1 (which later became the Phantom) was: a single-seat, no nonsense attack plane with lots of bombs and speed. Alternatively, you could lok at it as a USN equivalent to the USAF's F-105..... 

- Indiana Jones

KJ_Lesnick

The A-4's wings were better for subsonic flight than the AH-1; on the other hand a supersonic low altitude attack aircraft like the F-105 would rock I'd think something with lots of blown flappery

Weaver

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on August 03, 2013, 11:13:47 AM
The A-4's wings were better for subsonic flight than the AH-1; on the other hand a supersonic low altitude attack aircraft like the F-105 would rock I'd think something with lots of blown flappery

Exactly: the original attack version of the Phantom was effectively a Navy F-105. :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

KJ_Lesnick

There is clearly a communication's gulf here, I'm arguing against you and you're agreeing with me then arguing your position...

rickshaw

As Winston Churchill quipped, "Great Britain and the United States, two nations divided by a common language."  ;D