Zuni Rockets

Started by Librarian, June 21, 2013, 12:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Has anyone come across any examples, other than the F-8 Crusader, where an aircraft in Vietnam used the double-barrelled Zuni rocket launchers?
I like the look of them but I feel the four shot tube is more economical.

Ed S

The Navy Black Pony OV-10's in Vietnam sometimes used the dual launcher on wing stations. These are usually on most kits with Sidewinders. I think I might have a photo somewhere, I'll have to look.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Also USMC F-4's on the inner AIM-9 stations.

Tried to find an online pic, but can't just now. Plenty in the Squad/Sig USMC Phantoms special, and the 'Air War over Vietnam' series.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Librarian

Sounds very interesting. I used to have a whole library dedicated to this sphere of history but years of pruning have left it somewhat defoliated. Lots of potential in the pre-1970s for a little whiffing.... ;D

strilekawk

Sorry to add this late but I went through my old aviation ordnanceman course books and as far as I can see the single tube launchers were designed to fit on the LAU-7 launchers. If it can carry an AIM-9 it can conceivably carry a Zuni. And sorry, I don't have any pics of any installation other than those on the F-8 and OV-10. On a related topic the Zuni can now be upgraded with a WGU-58/B control kit to make it a laser guided munition. The weapons are carried in the standard LAU-10 four shot pod. This is planned for use by the USMC.

Gondor

Quote from: Librarian on June 22, 2013, 01:59:37 AM
Sounds very interesting. I used to have a whole library dedicated to this sphere of history but years of pruning have left it somewhat defoliated. Lots of potential in the pre-1970s for a little whiffing.... ;D

That will be Agent Orange at work then.....

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....