RAF Nightfighter scheme between WWII and Korea query

Started by kitnut617, June 26, 2013, 07:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Would anyone here have an idea what the nightfighter scheme was/would've been between WWII and the Korean conflict?  or would the late WWII Mosquito scheme been it ?  Would RAF nightfighters operating in the Pacific arena have the same scheme ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

Not certain about RAF aircraft, but Swedish NF.30 Mosquitos were overall Medium Sea Grey with Dark green contrast shapes from above, as well as some Metor Night Fighters (e. g. in Egypt).

Not certain if the RAF operated night fighters in the Pacific theatre at all? Some RAAF Beaufighters in WWII were all black or all Foilage Green, but the latter was a rather specific color. And there were RAF PR Mosquitos after WWII in Asia, but these featured PRU Blue, some with MSG uppers.

For a "late" NF Mossie, all MSG uppers is also an option - with black undersides (looks nice, esp. with these roundels and the spinners!):

I'd go with MSG/EDSG upper, and maybe black underside with a high waterline.

kitbasher

Some did (obviously) have the scheme depicted above, but I'd go for MSG + Dark Green uppers.  MSG/Darke Green with Night undersides would be the mid-late WW2 intruder scheme worn by Mosquitos and IIRC some Beaufighters.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Thanks guys --- gives me some possible schemes.  I'll look in my copy of the Mosquito Data File book for additional info.  I had a look in my copy of The Hornet File to see what the nightfighters looked like there, and they don't seem to have any different one to the day scheme, mind you these are RN nightfighters.

My question about RAF nightfighters in the Pacific is more of a 'what would it have been like' had they operated there.  I would imagine Tiger Force would have had a contingent of nightfighters operating had the Tiger Force been activated.

kitnut617

I couldn't find my Mosquito datafile book (my bro must have it for referencing while he builds his 1/24 scale kit), so I looked in the Sharp/Bowyers book instead.  Some schemes there which might work for what I'm planning ---

Gondor

From the Mosquito Datafile book
  "Night Fighters
When the NF MkII came into service it was painted in very matt black called 'Black (Special Night) or RDM2A to the official spec. ........By the Autumn of 1942 the RDM2A scheme was replaced and all night fighter Mosquitoes adopted an overall scheme of Medium Sea Grey with a disruptive pattern of Dark Green on the upper surfaces. This disruptive pattern did not get applied to the vertical fin, which remained in Medium Sea Grey overall. ....... This scheme was applied to all night fighters until they were withdrawn from service in the 1950's."

Hope this helps

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on June 26, 2013, 02:09:22 PM
This scheme was applied to all night fighters until they were withdrawn from service in the 1050's."

Hope this helps

Gondor

Damn! just missed out on the Battle of Hastings  --------   :lol:  :wacko:

Cheers Gondor, much appreciated ----

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 26, 2013, 03:04:23 PM
Quote from: Gondor on June 26, 2013, 02:09:22 PM
This scheme was applied to all night fighters until they were withdrawn from service in the 1050's."

Hope this helps

Gondor

Damn! just missed out on the Battle of Hastings  --------   :lol:  :wacko:

Cheers Gondor, much appreciated ----

Sorted! And I blame my FAT fingers for hitting the Zero rather than the Nine!

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

dadlamassu

The jets were pretty much the same as day fighters

Gloster Meteor NF 11 of 1951

Dehavilland Venom NF3

Dehavilland Vampire NF10

kitnut617

Yes, I forgot about those, the right time line too ---- hmm!

Did the RAF have any nightfighters operating during the Korean War (that's as is 'in' the Korean War)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 28, 2013, 02:56:59 PM
Yes, I forgot about those, the right time line too ---- hmm!

Did the RAF have any nightfighters operating during the Korean War (that's as is 'in' the Korean War)

In short, no............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Thanks Kit, just what I wanted to know ---

Another question then, if Tiger Force had operated during the war, and RAF nightfighters were used, would the Ocean Grey/Dark Green camo been used considering most of the campaign would have been over water.  Would it actually been a dark sea blue or something like that.

dadlamassu

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 28, 2013, 02:56:59 PM

I seem to remember that the RAF deployed Sunderlands, Austers and transports to Korea.  RAF fighter and fighter-bomber pilots flew in RAAF, FAA and USAF squadrons.

The main British combat air involvement was FAA flying from 5 or 6 carriers.  Main types were Fireflies, Sea Furies and Seafires.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 29, 2013, 08:24:21 AM
Thanks Kit, just what I wanted to know ---

Another question then, if Tiger Force had operated during the war, and RAF nightfighters were used, would the Ocean Grey/Dark Green camo been used considering most of the campaign would have been over water.  Would it actually been a dark sea blue or something like that.

Somewhere I've seen the whole proposed Tiger Force, force structure before it was slimmed down. Can't remember nightfighters being mentioned but can't find the thing now to confirm  :banghead:

However perhaps they would have used night intruders rather then nightfighters to accompany the bombers ? Regardless of that my own view is that they would have gone out East in standard NF colours and if necessary would have been repainted on site ? So maybe black like the P-61's ?

Must admit I have problems with black as didn't the RAF find it stood out to much against the backdrop early in the war and whence the move to grey/green ? Maybe with most of the operational zone over water it works better ?

If you want to go for an overall dark colour how about PR Blue. It's available and would probably work over water, especially with a gloss coat ? So gloss uppers/matt undersides ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dadlamassu

From what I remember Tiger Force had only bomber squadrons with Lancaster, Lincoln and I think Liberator but memory might be playing tricks.