Knight Industries Two Thosand (KITT)

Started by philp, June 28, 2013, 05:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

I admit, I used to love watching Knightrider in my youth.  Usually some pretty lady of the week and then there was KITT.  How awesome, a car that can drive itself, is bullet proof, has a Cylon eye and even talks to you (though the voice was a little annoying).  The odd car kits I do are usually related to the movies or TV (or Tom Daniel's designs) and I have wanted a kit of KITT ever since the show came out. 

I recently finished another review kit of KITT (that just doesn't get old) from Aoshima in 1/24th scale.  Not sure if this is a rerelease or not as all the instructions are in Japanese.  This version comes with a LED Front Scanner Unit which I was apprehensive about as me and electronics don't get along.  My concerns were unfounded as the unit is ready to go with just the addition of a couple batteries.

Only a couple of issues with the build, the main one being the smoked glass cover for the tail lights (still don't get that) was warped on the sprue and when I tried to straighten it out, snapped just off center.  Guess I will try and see if I can get a replacement bit.

So, not much of a What If car but hey, I finished a model.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Nice build Phil.  :thumbsup: :bow:

If you just knew the trouble that car's given me............  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 29, 2013, 03:57:11 AM
Nice build Phil.  :thumbsup: :bow:

If you just knew the trouble that car's given me............  :banghead: :banghead:
...Squirted oil on you when you tried to photograph it?  Or did it dob you in to the CIA about the whole PR19 thing... :wacko: :wacko:

PR19_Kit

No, during the peak of the TV series people would ask if I was named after the car, ruddy cheek. I was there first!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 29, 2013, 07:03:26 AM
No, during the peak of the TV series people would ask if I was named after the car, ruddy cheek. I was there first!

Mmm, because you'd be likekly to change your name, wouldn't you?? :banghead: :banghead:

Hobbes

Ah, Knight Rider, fond memories...

Nice build, Phil.

What car would a British version of the show have used? Somehow arriving in a Rover SD1 doesn't carry the same panache  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on June 29, 2013, 07:17:07 AM
What car would a British version of the show have used? Somehow arriving in a Rover SD1 doesn't carry the same panache  ;D

A Jaguar XJS perhaps?

It was 'of the period' and of similar size and performance, although I bet the Jag would blow the doors off KITT round any bends.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Yes, that would be much better. Or how about an Aston Martin Lagonda? It already had an extensive electronics fit (with all the instruments shown on CRT displays).

Mind you, we'd have regular scenes of KITT standing at the roadside with the electronics on the fritz....

philp

Hmm, if I can get my hands on the right light bar, might have to give KITT a repaint.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

McColm

They did use a Jag on a later series, completely different cast to the one we grew up  with .

Go4fun

Quote from: philp on June 30, 2013, 10:13:04 PM
Hmm, if I can get my hands on the right light bar, might have to give KITT a repaint.

The best, (or worst!), of two shows? KITT saying "Like surfs up dude!" in that annoying voice? Lonnie Anderson trying to squeeze that... ehhh... chest into the car?  :rolleyes: Go for it philip!
"Just which planet are you from again"?

jcf

Quote from: Hobbes on June 29, 2013, 09:18:53 AM
Yes, that would be much better. Or how about an Aston Martin Lagonda? It already had an extensive electronics fit (with all the instruments shown on CRT displays).

Mind you, we'd have regular scenes of KITT standing at the roadside with the electronics on the fritz....

Aston Martin Bulldog.  ;)

Hobbes

Quote from: McColm on July 01, 2013, 06:28:32 AM
They did use a Jag on a later series, completely different cast to the one we grew up  with .

I'm aware of two later series (Team Knight Rider from 1997 and the 2008 remake), both used American cars, no Jags in sight.

QuoteBulldog

And it comes with a scannerlight as standard. High-intensity, too  ;D

PR19_Kit

The A M Bulldog, what a cracking car, apart from the electrics of course. I saw it at the Goodwood Festival 3-4 years ago and it looked MAGNIFICENT, and it sounded the same too!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Father Ennis

You guys know there are several Police ,Fire and Emergency vehicles. I can post a link to one if there is interest ...