Goodyear AG-1 Basilisk - refurbished

Started by comrade harps, June 30, 2013, 12:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comrade harps

This one is a rebuild. I was never quite happy with this F2G Super Corsair in Chinese Nationalists markings, but I finally have all need to re-brand and re-arm it as a USMC Goodyear AG-1 Basilisk.

It's the Special Hobby F2G kit (1:72nd scale) with Italeri F4U-4B wings:

It will get a new paint job and decals, some extra pylons and ordnance and a new story.
Whatever.

NARSES2

Interesting. That kit (I have 2) kits looking at me from the stash and going British South China Seas Fleet  ;D

It looks nice made up so may well move up the pile
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Ah, better light! It's hard to telll details - but this one looks good in the uniform color.  :thumbsup:

comrade harps

Goodyear AG-1 Basilisk
VMFA-232, USMC
Oshima, Japan, February 1946

" border="0

When the US Navy chose Grumman's F8F Bearcat over Goodyear's F2G Super Corsair, Goodyear was rewarded with a consolation prize. Anticipating the need to invade Japan in 1946 and with Douglas running behind schedule on it's AD-1 Skyraider, Goodyear was contracted to supply 500 attack-configured F2Gs as an interim solution to meeting Navy and Marine Corps attack aviation requirements. Designated AG-1, and bestowed the popular name Basilisk (a basilisk being a type of 18th century naval cannon as well as a mythical deadly serpent), 418 were delivered before VJ Day saw the contract cancelled. Bsilisks remained in USMC and USN service until 1949, when finally replaced by Skyraiders. 50 were sold that year to France for use in IndoChina, which maintained these and a further 20 delivered in 1950 in service until 1954. Another 35 were supplied to the Chinese Nationalsits in 1950.

" border="0
" border="0

The AG-1 differed from the F2G in having a beefed up structure for a heavier maximum take-off weight, four 20mm cannon instead of six .50 cal machine guns and additional armour. To solve directional instability problems, the taller fin of the F2G was supplemented by a ventral spine.

" border="0

One XAG-2 prototype tested contra-rotating props and a more powerful R-4360-20 engine. Several post-war racing Basilisks would later use this configuration, Goodyear having purchased 10 incomplete AG-1 airframes after the contract cancellation for sale to civilians. Lightened and highly polished, these planes preformed well and Basilisks came first in the 1947 Thompson Trophy Race and first in the 1949 Tinnerman Trophy Race.

" border="0

During WW2, the AG-1 served with several US Navy and US Marine Corps squadrons in combat before and after the Y-Day invasion of Honshu. The USMC's VMFA-232 replaced their TBF Avengers with the AG-1 in late 1945 and resumed combat after going ashore at Oshima on 15 February, 1946. Oshima Island is close to Tokyo Bay and needed to be at least neutralised prior to the the invasion of the Kanto Plains. To achieve this, US Marines went ashore on 26 January, 1946, and in bitter and cold fighting secured a perimeter that included he Island's airfield, the habour facilities at Okata and the golf course at Okubo. US Navy and USMC planes soon began operating from the airfield, preparing the battlefield over the Kanto Plains as a prelude to the invasion.

" border="0

VMFA-232's Basilisk's served as bomb-trucks, flying missions heavily loaded with 260, 500, 1,000 and 1,600 lb bombs. Following the invasion, napalm was introduced into their armoury, but rocket attacks (other than a handful of missions with Tiny Tims) were left to other types. The load seen here (drop tank, two 1,000lb bombs and four 500lb bombs) is visible on Big Hog in the newsreel Marines over Tokyo, which followed VMFA-232 and other units based at Oshima on a raid against targets on the Kanto Plains. Big Hog was the personal mount of Captain Laurence Scott, who had previously flown Dauntless dive-bombers with the unit against Rabaul.

" border="0
Whatever.

NARSES2

Nice build of an aeroplane I've always liked  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

Great build of a beautiful machine. Tommy Blackburn would have been proud ;D. Another whiff I wish had truly served. :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Oh yeah I like it way better now ! Beauty ! Always loved the Goodyear Corsair.....

:wub: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?