XB-70 Questions

Started by KJ_Lesnick, June 30, 2013, 02:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Was running out of tankers and forward-basing ever considered a worry?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

If the UK was considered a 'forward base', no.

The SAC rotated their tanker squadrons over here on a TDY basis all the time, and I've seen three generations of them flying into and out of Brize Norton while I lived in the Oxford area. That's KB-50s, KC-97s of all sorts and the KC-135.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

So, forward basing isn't a concern...

The questions that now come into play are

I: WS-110

A: Was the early WS-110 proposal designed to use aerial refuelling?

B: Why did they believe the XB-70 would be vulnerable to missile attack

• The aircraft was capable of speeds of at least Mach 3 (probably 4) and altitudes of at least 75,000 feet (and potentially 95,000 feet) and could pull 2-3g at altitude
  • Speed and altitude aren't the only factors, maneuverability is a major issue
  • The aircraft was to possess ECM of presumably excellent capability
  • This would greatly impede the ability to lock on, maintain a lock, or hit the plane
  • North American was working on reducing the IR signature

II: WS-125

A: Would the resistance to the XB-70 and a desire to switch entirely to missiles (which seems partially out of technological advancement, and mostly out of a desire to cut funding at any cost) have been mitigated in any significant degree by....

1: Canceling WS-125 in 1956 when it was determined that it would be an unfeasible strategic bombing platform

• The Soviet Nuclear Bomber hoax hadn't appeared until 1958
  • This aircraft though it could stay in the air for weeks, could only do supersonic speeds for an extended dash similar to the early WS-110 specifications
  • WS-110 would be able to stay airborne for a lengthly period of time by the use of aerial tankers
  • The B367-80 had been flying since 1954; the KC-135 was getting ready to fly and would do so in late '56
2: Canceling WS-125 in 1957 after it was realized it was possible for a conventionally powered aircraft to achieve continuous supersonic cruise

• WS-125 early on wasn't capable of doing this
  • With aerial refueling, protracted deterrence would be do-able
  • The Soviet Nuclear Bomber hoax hadn't appeared until 1958
B: Could WS-125 have been cancelled?

• Even though the nuclear-bomber hoax hadn't appeared until 1958 there was elaborate technological competition between the US and USSR
  • The USAF had a pathological obsession with nuclear powered aircraft
  • The ANP program and USAF were uncoordinated in their leadership
  • Could the ANP program and USAF leadership have been forced to cooperate provided somebody up to and including the President in a position of power forced the issue?
Provided

• Nuclear aircraft propulsion, nuclear radiation shielding research had been allowed to continue at experimental and proof of concept phases
  • Convair had built at least one proposal based around a two-engined aircraft with a single reactor powering it
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.