Well, time to renew the site

Started by Supertom, July 01, 2013, 12:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supertom

ICD just sent a notification that the site's up for renewal again on July 22.  Over the years, the price has gone up from US$65 to US$100 a year, although the higher pricing came with better bandwidth and server size.  Some time back, we've received contributions to help fund the site, and when those funds ran out I paid for it out of pocket (for the last 2 years or so).  

At this point, I'd like to see if it would be possible to switch back to the public funding method, because I am tied down for funds this year, what with studies and family.  I've talked about this with Thorvic briefly and we thought it would be a good opportunity to update the site too, as it's been in the same form since 2007 or so.

I'll work on putting a Paypal donation clicky-thing at the bottom of the page soon, if you're interested in helping keep this site up and running.  What are the benefits?  Not much, really, except for being part of the oldest modeling community out on the internet that does whatever the hell they want!  (well, okay, within reason).

Anyway that's all I have to say.  Site needs renewal.  Site needs updating.  Me no as much money.

I'll put in $20, so we're at 20% of the goal, or 10% if we decide to renew for 2 years, depending on how much we manage to collect by July 22.  Not everyone will be able to or is willing to contribute (or is just a cheap bugger), so please understand that your contribution isn't really making you a part owner, but more of a donation from you to help keep an online community running because She Who Must Be Obeyed thinks He Who Must Listen is spending too much time and family finances on hobbies.

"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Weaver

I'm up for it - I'll wait for the paypal thingy, but if I havn't coughed up by the 22nd, don't be shy to PM me a reminder. I won't take offence or think you're being cheeky: on the contrary I'll be glad that you've compensated for my appalling memory.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

lancer

I'll add my share. Been here a long time so it's only fair. One problem though, I don't do paypal, so is there another way I can add mine?
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Steel Penguin

Similar to Lancer here,  im more than happy to help :thumbsup:, but don't have paypal. :banghead: ( its something ive bugged OGL a bought at the last few shows ive gone to)
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kitnut617

You can count me in ST. PayPal is good for me too
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I'd be more than happy to contribute, this site gives me more enjoyment on-line than all the rest of the sites I use put together.  ;D

PayPal works fine for me and I'd be happy to act as a 'UK Clearing House' if any of those who don't have PayPal over here would like to send me checques, cash, Otaki 1/144 scale C-5s etc.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I will be happy to contribute a small amount via paypal

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

sandiego89

In, but also want to avoid credit cards and paypal- Is good old american cash OK?  Ok to PM me with instructions.

Dave "sandiego89"
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Mr.Creak

Heck, I'm long-term unemployed and on absolute minimum benefits but I'd be more than happy to bung in a fiver (or tenner if I can stretch that far) to keep this site going 1.
I may not contribute much but I get a ton of fun and ideas here.

1 Gimme a week or two to sort out finances, but it'll probably take that long for you to set up the Paypal anyway.
What if... I had a brain?

Father Ennis

I don't do PayPal. However, if you can get an alternative for those of us who don't or won't use it that would be great. I'm happy to contribute as much as I can. I've not been a member here very long but I've certainly had an enjoyable time and am looking forward to being here as long as I'm able.

poru48

:thumbsup:This site is part of my daily reading. Just let me know the payment options.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

major

Definitely will contribute a few quid through the paypal button.
Small price to pay for inspiration and entertainment the site has
provided over the past few years.
Cheers... Ray

Glenn Gilbertson

Haven't been able to contribute so much recently but happy to contribute for a forum that gives so much interest.