project "white bird" for operation grapple 1957

Started by lenny100, July 05, 2013, 09:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny100

The need for very high altitude sampling during operation "Grapple" in 1957 proved to be a problem.
The aircraft already slated for sampling and weather data were unable to fly at 70,000 feet plus needed and the only way forward looked like weather balloons if the wind were right, not exactly reliable!
Gloster aircraft then came forward with a solution. using the prone pilot meteor f4 prototype they had built but never flown because of wing fatigue problems , with shielding built into the forward pilot compartment and the second cockpit area removed to house sampling equipment, a new sail wing and a specail development of the Derwent 8 engine.

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Nick

Looks like a Swan in that white camouflage and the long neck. Maybe Gloster Goose would be better?

deathjester

Oh no  :o  You've talked to Kit again, and NOW look what's happened!!! :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes:

Seriously though, that is beautiful - well done!!  :thumbsup:

crudebuteffective

Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

pyro-manic

Oh, wow - spectacular!

My only comment would be that perhaps bigger tail surfaces would be necessary?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

lancer

Oh that is a real thing of beauty...Nice going Lenny
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

rickshaw

This raises a question, I think.  How long can the wings on a Meteor be?

She is a thing of beauty.  Lovely in that white scheme.    I think "Goose" would be the perfect name for it.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

McColm

darthspud

too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

JayBee

Quote from: rickshaw on July 05, 2013, 09:21:42 PM
This raises a question, I think.  How long can the wings on a Meteor be?

How long is a piece of string?

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Magnificent thinking and modelling there!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Did you use the ENTIRE U-2 wings for the sections outboard of the engines and then trim the chord to suit the Derwent's nacelles?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lenny100

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 06, 2013, 10:07:13 AM
Magnificent thinking and modelling there!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Did you use the ENTIRE U-2 wings for the sections outboard of the engines and then trim the chord to suit the Derwent's nacelles?
They are a pair of full airfix u2 wings with only a small cut back on the rear to blend the rear into the nacelles . I stuck them directly on the wing stubs when i cut off the outer wings at the first panel line out from the engines
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

PR19_Kit

Gotcha. Way to go for maximum span.  ;D :thumbsup:

When I did the PR19 I trimmed the inboard end of the U2 wings until the chord matched that of the engine nacelles
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

crudebuteffective

calm down

I call for wing increase length limitation talks (W.I.L.L.T) otherwise this arms or wings race will get out of hand ;) ;D lol
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?