What aftermarket kits or re-releases would you like to see?

Started by McColm, July 05, 2013, 09:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
It can be really frustrating when thinking up a Whiff to discover that a product has been on the market but discontinued or hasn't been released yet.

For example the  1/72 Short Sandringham could use the Airfix Short Sunderland with a resin nose and rear resin plugs. Upper turret plug, resin engines and new windows.
The same could be said for the Frog 1/72 Shackleton, resin engines and metal propellers, metal undercarriage.

Other subjects like the 1/25  '76 Ford Gran Tornio "Starsky and Hutch". This was sold as a resin kit, but you needed to buy the Revell '70 Ford Torino kit for the conversion. ( Revell  still make the Ford  Torino, but the resin conversion kit has been discountinued.)
Revell produced the 1/24 early version of the Austin FX4 London Taxi Cab, but you need to buy the Aoshima Black Cab for the later version which has the Austin rear indicator panel.

Problems occur with plastic propellers, although Aeroclub did have a wide range of products, these seem harder to find.

sandiego89

We need a re-release of the C-5 Galaxy. 1/144 scale.  Somebody please......  

I can't afford the oldies on e-bay, outrageous.  (I admit I blew one up with a firecracker as a kid, but hey it was a cheap kit then...)

And I really wish Anigrand would release some of their "bonus" kits as separate releases. I really want some of these obscure aircraft in 1/144, but can not justify spending over a $100 for the main kit just to get these bonus kits.  A guy needs his SeaDart's and such. Yes I would shell out $25 for a small resin kit, but over a $100 for a kit?- that is just over my comfort level. Think they would sell great by themselves.   

Please, please.   Thanks   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

Refueling probes are another item that seems to break off, although there are aftermarket manufactures in the undercarriage areas.
One more thing that bugs me is the etched interior kits, unless the canopy is going to be opened your not going to an awful amount of your handy work. You can get around this problem if the front or rear doors open or cutting sections out to reveal the detailing inside.

pyro-manic

The problem with re-releasing the 1:144 Galaxy is that the moulds are at the bottom of (IIRC) Tokyo Bay. That's the reason for the silly prices.

Re. the Anigrand bonus kits, ask around - some people may be willing to sell or trade the ones they have?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

scooter

50 years of Enterprise, for the Tamiya kit.  Airwings and islands throughout her long and illustrious career.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sandiego89

Quote from: scooter on July 05, 2013, 04:15:00 PM
50 years of Enterprise, for the Tamiya kit.  Airwings and islands throughout her long and illustrious career.

Nice.
Dave "Sandiego89"

scooter

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 05, 2013, 05:13:46 PM
Quote from: scooter on July 05, 2013, 04:15:00 PM

Nice.

Something I've wanted for many, many years.  And such an aftermarket release would inspire me to break down and purchase a few copies of Big E
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

Weaver

Right now I'd like to see a conversion kit to turn a standard F-11 Tiger into a J-79-powered Super Tiger. Should be possible: a longer back end to the fuselage, new intakes and scabbed-on boundary layer "bumps".

As for a re-release, I'd like to see Hasegawa put their Grumman Cougar out again (or lease the mould to Academy so they can do it at a sensible price... :rolleyes:)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Weaver on July 05, 2013, 06:58:52 PM<...>
As for a re-release, I'd like to see Hasegawa put their Grumman Cougar out again (or lease the mould to Academy so they can do it at a sensible price... :rolleyes:)

Hasegawa recently re-released the Cougar as a two-kits-per-box kit. HERE'S it at HLJ. For a closer look at the schemes provided, see HERE on Hobby Search.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on July 05, 2013, 11:29:15 PM
Quote from: Weaver on July 05, 2013, 06:58:52 PM<...>

Hasegawa recently re-released the Cougar as a two-kits-per-box kit. HERE'S it at HLJ. For a closer look at the schemes provided, see HERE on Hobby Search.

Yes, they also re-released it as a Tiger/Cougar combo, but try finding either in this country...... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

The low-volume resin mod kits for the AMT/ERTL movie Enterprise.  I'd love to see those come back, and the molds to fit either the Polar Lights 1/350, 1/1000, or Revell's new 1/600.  Along with Reliant and Excelsior...
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

McColm

1/24 Jaguar XJS Lynx conversion . This could contain a new roof, twin headlights and third door.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 05, 2013, 11:37:22 AM
The problem with re-releasing the 1:144 Galaxy is that the moulds are at the bottom of (IIRC) Tokyo Bay. That's the reason for the silly prices.

How did that happen?

And if the Hendon guys can lift a whole Do17 off the bottom of the English Channel...........?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 06, 2013, 10:03:14 AM
Quote from: pyro-manic on July 05, 2013, 11:37:22 AM

How did that happen?

And if the Hendon guys can lift a whole Do17 off the bottom of the English Channel...........?  ;)

Rumor is that a ship was carring the old Otaki (revell?) molds to a new owner and the ship sank.  Not sure if urban legend. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

Gondor

There must be a market for someone like Revell to produce a new mould for a 1/144 C-5!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....